Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

I read that Baltimore only has 3 mil in cap space. How can they swing a deal for both guys? Maybe they will try to leverage one against the other to keep the money down. I like Maclin a lot more than Decker.

Saints only had like $3.1m when they signed Byrd...if they want him that bad, they can find a way

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the important thing to understand in all of this is it will be Maclin's decision ultimately. There are no rules as to what he has to accept or do. He can take the Bills offer right to Baltimore and say "do better" if that's the issue. If he wants he can take that back to the Bills and say "match this and I'm coming." We don't know what he wants at the moment. We can assume that he has some pretty strong relationships in Buffalo and they have the cap space. We don't know though what it is he wants.

We don't know what he wants, but the Bills know exactly what he wants. Both sides are pretty direct about what they want in these things. If they're close enough that they think they can make a deal, they talk about how they could restructure to get enough of what both sides want. Obviously, that process wasn't able to bridge the gap in Buffalo. Maybe it will work for Maclin in Baltimore, and maybe it won't. If it won't, he'll reconsider his own idea of his value and keep looking.

It's important to remember that teams have wildly different views of the value of players. The value to any given team varies with the teams' cap situation, the talent it has at the same position, the age of the talent they have, the impact they think the player would have on the team's play. Beane and McDermott think about factors like that and other factors, and they decide what it's worth to pay for the player. The circumstances at the Ravens will generate a different number. It doesn't mean Beane was wrong and the Ravens guy was right. (Much like the Gillislee decision - just because he was worth $4 million to the Pats doesn't mean that he was worth $4 million to the Bills.)

agreed. I said from the beginning that there was no way his agent would want him to only go on one visit.

Makes sense to me.

I also agree with some people that said he's probably not in a hurry to sign with someone, since he can skip OTA's.

There's still a chance he could come back and sign with the Bills.

They remind me of my youth ,back in South buffalo. A lot of shanty Irish ,back in the day.

Yeaaaah man, I've heard of late bloomers but Buddy's boys must still be latched on to the teet.

My heart still aches for Marrone.

Sure as S**T you wouldn't see him in the news for this. Glad they are no longer a part of this team.

I'm with McD and I McDig It!

Yeaaaah man, I've heard of late bloomers but Buddy's boys must still be latched on to the teet.

My heart still aches for Marrone.

Sure as S**T you wouldn't see him in the news for this. Glad they are no longer a part of this team.

I'm with McD and I McDig It!

I hear ya.

....113 pages has to eclipse the "where's Bryant Johnson" thread by now.....Mac is probably looking for 4-5 mil guaranteed....Bflo is probably 1/2 of that with incentives to get him there....just a wild guess...do dial up Decker for an interview....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The jets HAD reached out to the Ravens about Decker when they were trying to trade him. He's since been cut. The cap strapped Ravens are not signing both. They aren't talking about signing both, either.

TBH the Ravens need Barnidge more than either WR

The jets HAD reached out to the Ravens about Decker when they were trying to trade him. He's since been cut. The cap strapped Ravens are not signing both. They aren't talking about signing both, either.

TBH the Ravens need Barnidge more than either WR

Good point. I didn't think of that.

...this is pretty interesting if accurate versus speculation.......sounds more speculative IMO...........

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Eric Decker may be higher on Baltimore's wish list than free agent Jeremy Maclin.
Maclin is scheduled to visit the Ravens if/when he leaves Buffalo. Hensley wonders if it even matters now, since Decker better fits what the Ravens need, which is a big-bodied receiver who scores touchdowns in the red zone. Decker is just that at 6'3/214. Only Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, and Demaryius Thomas have scored more touchdowns since 2012, and that's with Decker missing 13 games last season. Jun 7 - 8:55 AM
Source: ESPN.com
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy