Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

I don't like the idea of him leaving the building.

Ditto.

Just in general a guy not signing immediately allows for other teams to be in play. It doesn't mean that the Bills aren't the favorite but Baltimore gets a chance to win him over. Additionally, time will give other teams a chance to get involved if they choose. If I'm Maclin I'm using whatever leverage I can to get the numbers up. It makes sense. I just wish that they could have closed the deal so that we don't have to worry about this.

For this reason -Ditto.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravens can't offer him more than $2M or so for this year because they're only $3.6M under the cap and teams generally keep about $1.5M for emergencies. If he'd rather get that and play for them, good luck to him. Just goes to show you that you can't make players play for you.

And if he says he's going to visit other teams, I'd say "the offer leaves with you. Good luck."

The Ravens can't offer him more than $2M or so for this year because they're only $3.6M under the cap and teams generally keep about $1.5M for emergencies. If he'd rather get that and play for them, good luck to him. Just goes to show you that you can't make players play for you.

And if he says he's going to visit other teams, I'd say "the offer leaves with you. Good luck."

they definitely cannot pay him the deal that is rumored to be out there from Bills based on their cap situation. They aren't a team that you would take less to play for either imo. I do think the agent is trying to use any leverage that he can to get every possible dollar from the Bills, as he should. Edited by YoloinOhio

they definitely cannot pay him the deal that is rumored to be out there from Bills based on their cap situation. They aren't a team that you would take less to play for either imo. I do think the agent is trying to use any leverage that he can to get every possible dollar from the Bills, as he should.

I agree on all of it. That's why I say they should pull the offer once he leaves. They never leave and come back.

they definitely cannot pay him the deal that is rumored to be out there from Bills based on their cap situation. They aren't a team that you would take less to play for either imo. I do think the agent is trying to use any leverage that he can to get every possible dollar from the Bills, as he should.

They can make some money available pretty easily though. They've got about $5M in savings if they cut Wallace, $3M for Watson and over $1.5M for Campanero. They can scrape together enough to make a viable offer.

I agree on all of it. That's why I say they should pull the offer once he leaves. They never leave and come back.

I wouldn't pull the offer but I'd start hinting to Maclin and his people that you will talk to Decker. I mean each side will try to drum up some leverage but it's tough at this point.

They can make some money available pretty easily though. They've got about $5M in savings if they cut Wallace, $3M for Watson and over $1.5M for Campanero. They can scrape together enough to make a viable offer.

true- they would just be creating more holes though. It doesnt make wise financial sense for them to sign him - they should sign Decker instead who would be cheaper and a better replacement for Pitta's targets. Jmo of course.

If he were going somewhere else to visit I wouldn't mind it. But he's going to one of the best facilities in the league. Some guys just fall in love with that. They can't offer him the cash, but they could sell him on an experience. Plus they are desperate for another WR. Didn't draft one. Pitta got hurt. Campanaro is always hurt. They really need him or Decker. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with them that they make a big push for Decker.

true- they would just be creating more holes though. It doesnt make wise financial sense for them to sign him - they should sign Decker instead who would be cheaper and a better replacement for Pitta's targets. Jmo of course.

They can restructure or extend some of those instead too. They can add a year to Watson as an example (especially with Pitta's career in doubt). I know he's old but it's an option.

100% agree though that Decker is a better fit in their offense. I think Maclin is a better fit in ours. They are both good options though.

They can restructure or extend some of those instead too. They can add a year to Watson as an example (especially with Pitta's career in doubt). I know he's old but it's an option.

100% agree though that Decker is a better fit in their offense. I think Maclin is a better fit in ours. They are both good options though.

I am fine with either or... Just get one of them....

What? Wait, you mean the Bills aren't in the worst cap shape in the entire league?

I wouldn't pull the offer but I'd start hinting to Maclin and his people that you will talk to Decker. I mean each side will try to drum up some leverage but it's tough at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Maclin, but if they cut Wallace I'd take him here for cheaper than Maclin.

If he were going somewhere else to visit I wouldn't mind it. But he's going to one of the best facilities in the league. Some guys just fall in love with that. They can't offer him the cash, but they could sell him on an experience. Plus they are desperate for another WR. Didn't draft one. Pitta got hurt. Campanaro is always hurt. They really need him or Decker. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with them that they make a big push for Decker.

FWIW, the Bills facility is considered one of the best in the league. That's one of the main reasons that Barnidge has the Bills so high on the list. It's been one of the main recruiting tools for the Bills.

The Ravens don't want to be cutting Watson after Pitta went down. As for Wallace, he did a decent job for them last year and knows the system, and you'd be wasting $3M in cap room to sign another WR. Don't see that happening and I don't see them extending either because of age. Campanaro does nothing for them.

I would definitely agree that Decker better fits the Ravens needs and Maclin better fits the Bills needs than vice versa.

The Ravens have their vertical threat in Mike Wallace. Unless they intend on running an Arians style all vertical passing offense, adding Maclin wouldn't best fit what they need. They need their dependable move the chains guy. Maclin *could* be that guy, but Decker is definitely better at being that guy.

The Bills on the other hand, if they signed Decker, would have to use Watkins as their vertical threat instead of the do anything weapon he should be.

Or they could just do a minor restructure to someone. Or a multi year deal with cash this year being signing bonus -- its flexible