Pre-Tailgate Party night before we play Panthers in Carolina

We moved here in 98.

Local sports were dominated by NASCAR and Basketball and College sports.

The NFL was new to the town and the predominate fan base was Washington.

Local talk radio was mostly other fans calling in about their team( this is where I got the name Buffalo Boy)

19 years on Panthers talk predominates and cogent arguments are made and discussed.

Are they tough? An annual discussion here is " How do we get a home field advantage?" This is a symptom of a corporate "Wine and Cheese" crowd due toPSLs and Southern manners.

I have no fear of going into this stadium wearing my colors but that doesn't mean that Cam and Kuechly and Co. don't have more backing than at any time since we came here.

Expectations are high here this year and the home opener should be raucous and well attended.

Oh, without a doubt. They are good. Expectations are high. Especially being their home opener...there will be a raucous group of Panthers fans. I wish I could come down for this one. I haven't been back to Charlotte since we moved away in 2010. I love that city.

I used to bartend at Hawthornes on Carmel Road in Ballantyne. John Fox had a house on the golf course, and used to come in all the time and have a few beers at the bar while he was waiting for his pizza. Great guy. Very down to earth and funny. Great tipper.

Muhsin Muhammad's kids used to attend the elementary school where I worked. He would come in all the time with other Panthers players for assemblies and other special events. I remember he came in with (IIRC) D'Angelo Williams for one assembly, and the two of them watched Tom and Jerry in the conference room across from my office while they were waiting to be announced. I thought that was pretty cool. He and his wife were very kind and generous people. Gave away 10$ Starbucks gift cards to every school employee (from custodian to principal) every Christmas that I was there.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, without a doubt. They are good. Expectations are high. Especially being their home opener...there will be a raucous group of Panthers fans. I wish I could come down for this one. I haven't been back to Charlotte since we moved away in 2010. I love that city.

I used to bartend at Hawthornes on Carmel Road in Ballantyne. John Fox had a house on the golf course, and used to come in all the time and have a few beers at the bar while he was waiting for his pizza. Great guy. Very down to earth and funny. Great tipper.

Muhsin Muhammad's kids used to attend the elementary school where I worked. He would come in all the time with other Panthers players for assemblies and other special events. I remember he came in with (IIRC) D'Angelo Williams for one assembly, and the two of them watched Tom and Jerry in the conference room across from my office while they were waiting to be announced. I thought that was pretty cool. He and his wife were very kind and generous people. Gave away 10$ Starbucks gift cards to every school employee (from custodian to principal) every Christmas that I was there.

When I first got here, I was managing at the IHOP on 74 in Matthews and then the one in Pineville.

I can't remember at which one but one night in walks Pete Metzelaars with four kids in tow.

He would take under privileged kids out as a community service/ church mission sort of thing. I chatted with him , just a little. Heck of a guy!!!

I thought Hawthornes was over by the Mall in Pineville? Been a while. We've lived in Union county since 99

When I first got here, I was managing at the IHOP on 74 in Matthews and then the one in Pineville.

I can't remember at which one but one night in walks Pete Metzelaars with four kids in tow.

He would take under privileged kids out as a community service/ church mission sort of thing. I chatted with him , just a little. Heck of a guy!!!

I thought Hawthornes was over by the Mall in Pineville? Been a while. We've lived in Union county since 99

They had 5 or 6 locations when I was working there. I primarily worked at the Mint Hill location, but would fill in at the Carmel Road, 7th Street, and University locations. Great pizza...bunch of guys from NYC/Long Island area owned the place. I think they have a few more locations now.

Agreed. Panthers fans are the most fair weather fans I have ever been around. They lose a few games and the stadium is half empty in October. I went to a few games while I was living in Charlotte including the Bills game in 09. We found a small lot just a few blocks south of the stadium that was a pretty decent tailgate. It was about 50/50 panthers and bills fans and it was a good time. It's not Buffalo tailgating, not even close, but there are some good parties going on.

We moved here in 98.

Local talk radio was mostly other fans calling in about their team( this is where I got the name Buffalo Boy)

19 years on Panthers talk predominates and cogent arguments are made and discussed.

Are they tough? An annual discussion here is " How do we get a home field advantage?" This is a symptom of a corporate "Wine and Cheese" crowd due toPSLs and Southern manners.

I have no fear of going into this stadium wearing my colors but that doesn't mean that Cam and Kuechly and Co. don't have more backing than at any time since we came here.

Expectations are high here this year and the home opener should be raucous and well attended.

Agree with both of you. I went to the last regular season game there, and it seemed 50/50 bills panthers fans. Also they were very up tight, golf clap types. Since I live in Va a good comparison of the 2 for me is the bills are like va tech games, wild and have a good time, panthers fans are like uva games, golf clap and wine lol. I almost got in a fight at that game for "cussing" at the game.

We moved here in 98.

I went to a preseason Panthers - Fins game a couple of years ago and there were almost as many Bills jerseys as there were Panthers ones. A couple of star players help but Charlotte pro sports fans are pretty weak.

I'm definitely planning on attending this game. Look for the guy surrounded by women. :)

I went to a preseason Panthers - Fins game a couple of years ago and there were almost as many Bills jerseys as there were Panthers ones. A couple of star players help but Charlotte pro sports fans are pretty weak.

I'm definitely planning on attending this game. Look for the guy surrounded by women. :)

Going to Bobcats games was brutal. I think they had one good run when they made the playoffs as a 8 seed, and the place was packed. Otherwise, the place was empty. I've had more fun at funerals. They definitely can't support a NBA franchise.

Going to Bobcats games was brutal. I think they had one good run when they made the playoffs as a 8 seed, and the place was packed. Otherwise, the place was empty. I've had more fun at funerals. They definitely can't support a NBA franchise.

Proud to say I attended several Bobcat games when they set the NBA record for lowest winning % in history!

I like Charlotte and have had some really good times there. But man, it sometimes feels like such a generic city. It's obviously much cleaner and has better weather than Buffalo but there is so less civic pride it seems. Still, lots of pretty women and good people.

They had 5 or 6 locations when I was working there. I primarily worked at the Mint Hill location, but would fill in at the Carmel Road, 7th Street, and University locations. Great pizza...bunch of guys from NYC/Long Island area owned the place. I think they have a few more locations now.

Was thinking of a different place....Harpers maybe.

I've gotten Pizza from Hawthornes in Mint Hill on 51.

Proud to say I attended several Bobcat games when they set the NBA record for lowest winning % in history!

I like Charlotte and have had some really good times there. But man, it sometimes feels like such a generic city. It's obviously much cleaner and has better weather than Buffalo but there is so less civic pride it seems. Still, lots of pretty women and good people.

Have to agree about the Sterility.

Between the strip mall feel and the whole " Southerner" thing it can suck sometimes but it is as much home now as Depew ever was.

Not sure we will stay here for retirement but it is a good place to have raised my son.

He's a much better kid than I was at his age due to lack of bad influence in this area😝

My daughters band "7 DAYS" is playing at the Bills party on Sept 16. If you like classic rock you are in for a great night. They book out just about every weekend and have been filling places to capacity. They play tonight in Langtree and were expecting a huge crowd and then next Saturday night they are playing on stage in the prime slot at 8:30pm for the "Taste of Charlotte". If you are in the area come check them out.

So tavern on tracks will be open Sunday morn for drinking and tailgating. They are making it a charity thing so that works around the liquor laws. Also I've got info on holiday inn rooms blocked off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So tavern on tracks will be open Sunday morn for drinking and tailgating. They are making it a charity thing so that works around the liquor laws. Also I've got info on holiday inn rooms blocked off

That's my kind of charity! Where there's a will there's a way....

Is the hotel near the stadium? Also, maybe I missed it, but what's the best avenue for getting tickets? I'm tired of making StubHub my own personal charity....

That's my kind of charity! Where there's a will there's a way....

Is the hotel near the stadium? Also, maybe I missed it, but what's the best avenue for getting tickets? I'm tired of making StubHub my own personal charity....

Hotel is nearby but tickets are gonna be tough. Available just a little pricey

• 2 weeks later...

My Tavern on the Tracks review from the day my wife and I spent there, 12/14/2014, Bills v. Packers.

"Tavern on the Tracks it was. All those recommendations were spot on. I won their halftime trivia a got a T shirt, met folks from Geneseo, Clarence, Rochester and Jamestown. The Bills won and I spent less than $40 for my wife and I to eat and drink for 6+ hours. Oh yeah, and the Bills won!"

It was a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up 4 tix...driving from Raleigh. Planning on making the tailgate. Stepson is a Panthers fan-- but go easy on him.

I'll have more before the game. The cheapest gas on 85 is in Thomasville. Exit 103. At the racetrack or one next to cookout

Things to do in Charlotte:

http://www.charlottestories.com/lancaster-county-gold-mine-about-to-re-open-to-dig-up-5-7-billion-worth-of-gold/

Did you know the first gold rush in the US was in 49? No. Not 1849, but 1749 and here in North Carolina? The UNC Charlotte school is named the 49'ers after such. There are mines they currently use for tours and such under modern day Charlotte!

http://www.nascarhall.com/

nascar-cup-nascar-media-tour-2013-nascar

If you like to turn left and know every line Cole Trickle ever said, this is for you! its a close walk from uptown and worth a visit if you're at all looking to cool off on a hot day.

https://www.carowinds.com/

It ain't no cedar point, but if you want to kill 4-5 hours it is worth that and not much more. some great rides and some good times to be had

https://www.discoveryplace.org/

this is a place for all kids of all ages and even Fergy! a museum of sciences and what not - could make for fun if you're bringing any kids along!

http://usnwc.org/

Climbing_2000x800.jpg

383.jpg

The National white water center is here in us and offers rentals for boats and bikes on the off road courses. it's a great time!

Tavern on the Tracks

http://tavernonthetracks.com/

It is right downtown and a great place to stop in before things get busy. They like some really ****ty school up north there, too, so just watch where you step.

There are many great parks in the area, and you can always head up to Lake Norman for a round of golf (which is not a real sport), as well.

The Whitewater Center is awesome. Went to a wedding there one time. White water rafting, huge zip line, mountain biking, rock wall climbing, booze, usually live music. I highly recommend it.

Edit:

Epicenter in Uptown. Great for night life. Something for everyone. Watch a movie in a theatre while being served dinner and drinks, clubs, arcade, bowling alley....really fun place right down the street from the stadium.

http://epicentrenc.com

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

• 1 month later...

I believe we have about 10 going to the pre party and the tailgate. I also think our "trip coordinator" has already contacted the appropriate people to let them know about our 10. Looking forward to it!

Edited by flomoe

I'm struggling with Bills at Atlanta, Charlotte and Cincinnati in 4 weeks. I wish it was spread out through the season. I have my tix for Atlanta (three for $800), but that's a lot to lay down in a single month. Season tix may look cheap!

I'm struggling with Bills at Atlanta, Charlotte and Cincinnati in 4 weeks. I wish it was spread out through the season. I have my tix for Atlanta (three for $800), but that's a lot to lay down in a single month. Season tix may look cheap!

parking in ATL sucks too

Hah ! That place is the best.

I'm in. So is my date for this one. An obgyn who's never been to one

• 3 weeks later...

I am coming from VA, and am a member of the backers in Greensboro, we are meeting up with fans in Charlotte and getting a lot near the stadium for a massive tailgate for Bills

We are coming from VA through Asheville. Do you guys have a lot set up? We really want to find a Bills backer lot to tailgate in and get a spot.

Thanks!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.