No NFL player famous in the world - ESPN

Real football (Soccer to you Americans) player Ronaldo comes 1st. Lebron comes in second. This ranking still favours US athletes as it uses a formula based on endorsement money. Based on pure popularity, I doubt very much if Lebron comes in top 5.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/worldfame100/espn-world-fame-100-top-ranking-athletes#

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Mickelson is at #5 and so many tennis players are up there. I'm not surprised about the strong soccer showing.

(Tom Brady #21, despite how I hate to point that out.)

Edited by Augie

I'm surprised Mickelson is at #5 and so many tennis players are up there. I'm not surprised about the strong soccer showing.

Mickelson surprised me too but I suppose both those sports have majors internationally and likely carry some premium sponsorships

Real football (Soccer to you Americans) player Ronaldo comes 1st. Lebron comes in second. This ranking still favours US athletes as it uses a formula based on endorsement money. Based on pure popularity, I doubt very much if Lebron comes in top 5.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/worldfame100/espn-world-fame-100-top-ranking-athletes#

I think that you misread it. It's based on social media, searches, etc... Lebron is absolutely the 2nd most popular athlete in the world with the NBA's Chinese presence. It's without question the 2nd most popular sport in the world and the list supports that. These lists are always littered with soccer & basketball players (35 of the top 65). The rest comes from golfers, fighters and tennis players as those are also international games. Edited by Kirby Jackson

There were 8 NFL Football Players listed but only 1 ranked on top of cheating list.

who gives a **** what the world thinks of our athletes? i don't care about some cross country kick ball penny loafing limp wristed players or some guy who plays with bugs so i wouldn't expect them to give a whoop about me caring about a bunch of men in tight pants playing grab ass on sunday.

Edited by Boyst62

Looks pretty accurate to me

but who cares?!

its like the high school year books best dressed or prettiest smile.

or the list of the coolest beach destinations that are in the world beginning with the letter 3

or any such nonsense.

the world is the world.

that dale junior is on the list just shows is all about commercial marketing. plain and simple. i woulnd't know ryan lochte from manny packywow to whoever tony croos is to half those dolts.

i had to look after your comment. i would recognize:

dale junior

tiger woods

lebron

tom brady in his mini skirt

cam newton

kyrie irving

drew brees

hope solo (if she wasn't wearing pants because hamburger)

eli manning

odell beckham if he had his hair colored still

thats all. i wouldn't know a soccer player even if he put down his pompoms, changed his skirt for a pair of pants and let his man bun down.

but who cares?!

its like the high school year books best dressed or prettiest smile.

or the list of the coolest beach destinations that are in the world beginning with the letter 3

or any such nonsense.

the world is the world.

that dale junior is on the list just shows is all about commercial marketing. plain and simple. i woulnd't know ryan lochte from manny packywow to whoever tony croos is to half those dolts.

i had to look after your comment. i would recognize:

dale junior

tiger woods

lebron

tom brady in his mini skirt

cam newton

kyrie irving

drew brees

hope solo (if she wasn't wearing pants because hamburger)

eli manning

odell beckham if he had his hair colored still

thats all. i wouldn't know a soccer player even if he put down his pompoms, changed his skirt for a pair of pants and let his man bun down.

And I know all of the soccer players. Why are you so emotional about this?

Edited by CNY315

And I know all of the soccer players. Why are you so emotional about this?

im not. i just don't think soccer or golf are sports.

i won the debate on golf being a sport. i'm waiting for transgreg to give me soccer as a sport.

this is not me emotional. jeesh. trust me, ask any woman in my life. i have no emotions.

i won the debate on golf being a sport. i'm waiting for transgreg to give me soccer as a sport.

this is not me emotional. jeesh. trust me, ask any woman in my life. i have no emotions.

I don't really understand the sentiment that soccer isn't a sport but ok lol.

Really? I could see making an argument against golf as a sport, but soccer? I won't put anyone down for hating soccer (still not sure where I stand) but it fits every definition of the word sport.

I don't really understand the sentiment that soccer isn't a sport but ok lol.

Really? I could see making an argument against golf as a sport, but soccer? I won't put anyone down for hating soccer (still not sure where I stand) but it fits every definition of the word sport.

Billions of people don't get that either, so you're not alone.

if you can successfully wear a man bun whilst "playing" it.... than it's not a sport.

soccer = terrible.

Billions of people don't get that either, so you're not alone.

Like a lot of Americans I wasn't into it because I wasn't exposed to the best, wasn't exposed to it much at all really. Only people I saw playing soccer were the least athletic kids in my schools.

Wasn't until the 2010 World Cup that I "got it". Now Premier League football followed by the Bills is my routine. What these guys can do with a football is amazing

Edited by CNY315