Got bored and looked into some Dennison numbers...

For whatever reason I wanted to take a look at how often Dennison called for passes during his previous endeavors in Denver and Houston. Perhaps because I think most of us would like to see them throw the ball a little more than 25 times a game and utilize the pass-catching weapons they have more often.

Anywho, these aren't super-analytic numbers, I understand QB's can audible out of a run into a pass but I don't think there'd be anywhere or anyway to track those kind of stats unless you were a part of the team and they kept track of how many audibles their QB called. So, here goes.

2006 Denver

QBs: Jake Plummer/10 games, Jay Cutler/6 games

Average Pass Attempts Per Game (APAPG): 28.4

NFL Rank: 26th

2007 Denver

QB: Jay Cutler/16 games

APAPG: 32.2

NFL Rank: 21st

2008 Denver

QB: Jay Cutler/16 games

APAPG: 38.8

NFL Rank: 2nd

2010 Houston

QB: Matt Schaub/16 games

APAPG: 35.9

NFL Rank: 9th

Houston 2011

QBs: Matt Schaub/10 games, TJ Yates/6 games

APAPG: 29.0

NFL Rank: 30th

Houston 2012

QB: Matt Schaub/16 games

APAPG: 35.7

NFL Rank: 13th

Houston 2013

QBs: Matt Schaub/8 games, Case Keenum/8 games

APAPG: 39.6

NFL Rank: 6th

Denver 2015

QBs: Peyton Manning/9 games, Brock Osweiler/7 games

APAPG: 36.7

NFL Rank: 17th

Denver 2016

QBs: Trevor Siemian/14 games, Paxton Lynch/2 games

APAPG: 35.6

NFL Rank: 18th

Overall Averages:

Average Pass Attempts Per Game Over 9 Seasons as an OC: 34.6

Average NFL Rank over those 9 seasons: 15th

So, just by looking at the overall averages you'd imagine he believes in a well-balanced attack.

Now, some of these numbers can also be misleading. In 2013 the Texans went 2-14 so their attempts were obviously up likely due to throwing it a lot more when playing from behind. By the same token, the numbers in 2012 were pretty well-balanced and Schaub had one of his best seasons. Schaub also had better seasons before Dennison so who knows.

Anyway, if anyone finds this interesting, neato. If not, also neat, but not neato.

Overall I'd imagine they dial up more than the 29.5 average pass attempts they've called over the last two seasons.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only flaw I see in all of this is that I don't think Dennison has had full time play calling duties before. He's either worked under Shannahan or Kubiak who ran things.

Correct. He wasn't calling the plays. So maybe this means something, maybe it doesn't.

I don't think we will finish in the top 10 passing. Top 20 is likely based on short routes and YAC I expect and will be disappointed if less than top 5 runnjng

I expect another bottom 5 passing offense finish.

Correct. He wasn't calling the plays. So maybe this means something, maybe it doesn't.

I expect another bottom 5 passing offense finish.

No one is surprised. We all know what you are going to say before you say it.

How do you know this? Just standing next to Gary Kubiak is enough?

Because the record shows he is well versed. Why so difficult to understand.

So, his teams have been 2nd, and 30th in NFL passing rank. I know there are a lot of other factors (who's the coach, what's the scheme, are you always behind, who's your QB, etc.), but I find that interesting.

I guess I can lump some of the skill position data since 2010 into here as well since it's relevant to the topic (I included 2014 Baltimore, but I realize Dennison wasn't OC then). Top 2 players listed are the 2 most targeted players in the passing offense, if they are a RB I included their rush attempts as well. The next 1 to 2 players listed are the top running backs on each team and how many targets and rush attempts each player got on the year. If you want to pull it into the OP you're more than welcome to.

2010 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 86 Catches, 138 Targets, 1216 Yards, 8 TD

Arian Foster - 66 Catches, 84 Targets, 604 Yards, 2 TD, 327 Rush Attempts

2011 Houston Texans (An outlier, for certain):

Owen Daniels - 54 Catches, 84 Targets, 677 Yards, 3 TD

Arian Foster - 53 Catches, 72 Targets, 617 Yards, 2 TD, 278 Rush Attempts

2012 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 112 Catches, 164 Targets, 1598 Yards, 4 TD

Owen Daniels - 62 Catches, 103 Targets, 716 Yards, 6 TD

Arian Foster - 58 Targets, 351 Rush Attempts

2013 Houston Texans:

Andre Johnson - 109 Catches, 181 Targets, 1407 Yards, 5 TD

Deandre Hopkins - 52 Catches, 93 Targets, 802 Yards, 2 TD

Ben Tate - 49 Targets, 181 Rush Attempts

Arian Foster - 35 Targets, 121 Rush Attempts

2014 Baltimore Ravens:

Steve Smith - 79 Catches, 133 Targets, 1065 Yards, 6 TD

Torrey Smith - 49 Catches, 93 Targets, 767 Yards, 11 TD

Justin Forsett - 59 Targets, 235 Rush Attempts

2015 Denver Broncos:

Demaryius Thomas - 105 Catches, 176 Targets, 1304 Yards, 6 TD

Emmanuel Sanders - 76 Catches, 137 Targets, 1135 Yards, 6 TD

Ronnie Hillman - 35 Targets, 207 Rush Attempts

CJ Anderson - 36 Targets, 152 Rush Attempts

2016 Denver Broncos:

Demaryius Thomas - 90 Catches, 145 Targets, 1083 Yards, 5 TD

Emmanuel Sanders - 79 Catches, 139 Targets, 1032 Yards, 5 TD

Devontae Booker - 45 Targets, 174 Rush Attempts

CJ Anderson - 24 Targets, 110 Rush Attempts

So, his teams have been 2nd, and 30th in NFL passing rank. I know there are a lot of other factors (who's the coach, what's the scheme, are you always behind, who's your QB, etc.), but I find that interesting.

That's why a percentage figure might be more informational.

Edited by LeGOATski

The day we hired Rico, a buddy of mine who works for Denver called me and told me; "You will be pulling your hair out in frustration with how predictable Dennison is". He is horrendous at the beginning of games, look for us to be down early, often next year.

Imo

The day we hired Rico, a buddy of mine who works for Denver called me and told me; "You will be pulling your hair out in frustration with how predictable Dennison is". He is horrendous at the beginning of games, look for us to be down early, often next year.

Imo

Interesting commentary given the limited amount of play calling he's done in the past.

Interesting commentary given the limited amount of play calling he's done in the past.

Or maybe indicates that he's done more play-calling than we assume...a lot of people assume Kubiak did all of it. I don't claim to have any knowledge of it.

I just hope the offense can remain the same. If it improves great, but if the O stays the same and the D catches up the Bills will be a tough team to beat.

Truth

Imo

well this is kind of stinky.

Imo

So which is it?

Either we don't know anything about Dennison's play calling propensities because Kubiak or Shanahan was calling them and we don't like him because, no experience

or

He's been doing all the play calling and we know he's hella predictable

Either or not both

...excellent statistical homework by all gang....well done....the inference I would draw is that even though Dennison may not have been the "lead dawg", he has been around a multitude of OC's calling the shots, formulating game plans to fits strengths of players, as well as the trials and tribulations.....so now it's up to him to draw upon those experiences, assess the players he has to work with and develop the "Dennison Plan"...stay tuned.......

I'm a fan of the Dennison hire. He's been part of some good and bad offenses so he knows what both look like, has a scheme that fits Taylor, and his system seems to be perfect for our offense. We'll see about gameday playcalling and whether I change my mind, but on paper it's a good fit.