Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

"FOXSports.com's Cameron DaSilva is a bit premature in putting Sammy Watkins on a list of 11 recently drafted players he says are on the verge of becoming busts.

DaSilva has the Bills' receiver ranked No. 2, behind Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles.

"Watkins is trending toward becoming a bust because he’s missed so much time, and when he has been on the field, he’s struggled a bit – particularly this past season," DaSilva writes. "It’s unfair to call a player a bust simply based on injuries, which is why Watkins has avoided that label up to this point, but another injury-plagued season – or one with fewer than 1,000 yards – and Watkins will be in the conversation after going fourth overall in 2014."

It is unfair to make injuries the primary reason for a bust label. Watkins is an immensely talented player.

The much larger burden he carries than an inability to stay healthy is what the Bills gave up to go up to get him -- first- and fourth-round picks.

That isn't Watkins' fault, but he's going to be strapped with that forever, along with expectations that aren't realistic for someone who is paid to catch passes on a team with a run-first offense, mostly poor quarterback play, and a philosophy of trying to win with defense since his rookie year.

Watkins can't escape the fact that fellow '14 classmate Odell Beckham Jr., has produced overwhelmingly better numbers despite being selected eight spots later.

Has Watkins' career been disappointing? Yes. The Bills' refusal to pick up the fifth-year option of his rookie contract adds to that disappointment.

However, assuming he recovers from a second foot surgery, I'm not expecting Watkins to flop. If anything, he'll be more motivated than ever to cash in on his impending contractual freedom." Vic C.

Posted the other day and still flawed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flame away, but Bortles is not that bad in my opinion.

in 2015 he was tied with Tom Brady for the league lead in TD passes with 35 and threw for 4400 YDS. He had a down year last season, just missing 4,000 YDS with only 23 TD.

His issue has always been the turnovers. If he could get those under control he could be a pretty decent QB, maybe an Andy Dalton type. I'm not saying he's great but he's far from some type of all-time bust.

Watkins has just had some bad injury luck, but he is a superstar when healthy. Whereas Bortles might turn into a Dalton type player Watkins could be a top WR in the league.

in 2015 he was tied with Tom Brady for the league lead in TD passes with 35 and threw for 4400 YDS. He had a down year last season, just missing 4,000 YDS with only 23 TD.

His issue has always been the turnovers. If he could get those under control he could be a pretty decent QB, maybe an Andy Dalton type. I'm not saying he's great but he's far from some type of all-time bust.

Watkins has just had some bad injury luck, but he is a superstar when healthy. Whereas Bortles might turn into a Dalton type player Watkins could be a top WR in the league.

He was the master of GTP in 2015.

Garbage Time Production. Stat padding late in games after the Jags were hopelessly behind.

Yeah, there' some truth there. But the guy still put up numbers which a lot of other QBs in equally crappy situations did not.

I'm not saying he's great but a lot of QBs on horrible teams that are way behind all the time and pass to try to catch up cannot do anything with all that garbage time and get hurt passing every down.

To me, that's a glimmer of hope for him panning out.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Yeah, there' some truth there. But the guy still put up numbers which a lot of other QBs in equally crappy situations did not.

I'm not saying he's great but a lot of QBs on horrible teams that are way behind all the time and pass to try to catch up cannot do anything with all that garbage time and get hurt passing every down.

To me, that's a glimmer of hope for him panning out.

Generally agree. His mechanics were all messed up in 2016 which is odd, but to call him a total bust seems hasty.

My dude.

What NFL player doesn't battle through injury during the course of a season? If he returns to full health, the Bills would be idiots to get rid of a 24 year old player with his talent. It's not the kind of move that would set the team on a course for future success.

Neither is not picking up his option. No? Having control over a player is paramount and the Bills gave that control up. Yes, they can franchise him for a season, even two, but why not pick up that year 5 option?

Posted the other day and still flawed.

I'll give Vic credit for one thing; he got the stupid language about the Watkins trade correct: "what the Bills gave up to go up to get him -- first- and fourth-round picks." Maybe we can stop all this talk of how we gave up two firsts and a 4th now.

I'll give Vic credit for one thing; he got the stupid language about the Watkins trade correct: "what the Bills gave up to go up to get him -- first- and fourth-round picks." Maybe we can stop all this talk of how we gave up two firsts and a 4th now.

Neither is not picking up his option. No? Having control over a player is paramount and the Bills gave that control up. Yes, they can franchise him for a season, even two, but why not pick up that year 5 option?

I can see the merits of both sides of the 5th year option question.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sammy would be a lot better of a bargaining chip had they picked up his option, so if they are thinking of trading him at this point, then we may be in trouble with Beane and McDermott because it would make no sense to trade him now nor would they get equal value for him.

This. No one is gonna give up a high draft pick for a guy with 1 year left on his contract, after his drafting team declined his option.

Use two first round picks to draft someone and trade him for a second round pick and be very happy about it. Who is that genius? The last stupid thing the Bills did was to draft a RB with a first round pick and traded him for a third round pick. When will they ever learn or are they too dumb to ever figure out how trading works.

Edited by Big Hurt

Use two first round picks to draft someone and trade him for a second round pick and be very happy about it. Who is that genius? The last stupid thing the Bills did was to draft a RB with a first round pick and traded him for a third round pick. When will they ever learn or are they too dumb to ever figure out how trading works.

They weren't traded the same day they were drafted. You ever trade a car in after having it for a few years? Hint: it ain't new no more.

I think realizing that can be put in perspective by pointing out that age just doesn't mean much in terms of productivity. What means much more is receiving yards and seasons on the roster and how those two go together. Have only 3 players had as many receiving yards as Sammy after three years in the NFL?

Beckham, picked later in the same draft, has averaged around 500 yards per year more in those same three years.

I can name six receivers who've gotten more yards in their first three years ... wait for it ... from the same draft.

Beckham, Matthews, Evans, Cooks, Robinson and Landry. And John Brown isn't far behind.

It was an awful trade, particularly in a draft that even at the time was seen as one of the best WR drafts of all time.

An awful trade. But yeah, he isn't a bust yet. Yeah, the result of an awful trade, but not yet a bust. And it's not like the Bills can't keep him if he does well this year, by force if necessary with the tag.

Exactly Thurman I pointed this out to him one page before this post of yours. He says he got it from someone else's post but he didn't bother to check to see if it was true. Which of course it was blatantly false.

I pointed out those same 5 WR's from Sammy's own class that have more yards before 24 too they are just salt in the wound.