Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wish Whaley had been given one more draft. I think he would have gotten it done.

Well, I wish Whaley had been given one more draft. I think he would have gotten it done.

You wanted Whaleys head on a platter and NOW you wish he had one more draft. Amazing

You wanted Whaleys head on a platter and NOW you wish he had one more draft. Amazing

I did state that although I wanted Whaley replaced I would prefer him picking the players over the new defensive coach. It's not that amazing, it's a nuanced position.

Avoiding thread proliferation

Just saw two articles on our BB explaining why Watkins is not a bust.

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/in_the_pros/why-buffalo-bills-wide-receiver-sammy-watkins-isn-t-a/article_2da20488-472d-11e7-83ae-e7969474cf57.html

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/01/vic-caruccis-bills-analysis-early-say-watkins-headed-toward-bust/

I think it's fair to say, when you're a 4th year player and sportswriters feel the need to defend you from being a bust, there's significant danger of deserving this status.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/in_the_pros/why-buffalo-bills-wide-receiver-sammy-watkins-isn-t-a/article_2da20488-472d-11e7-83ae-e7969474cf57.html

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/01/vic-caruccis-bills-analysis-early-say-watkins-headed-toward-bust/

I think it's fair to say, when you're a 4th year player and sportswriters feel the need to defend you from being a bust, there's significant danger of deserving this status.

I love all this bust talk to be honest. Any idiot who can count to 3 can see that when healthy he is an ELITE talent at WR. So I hope people keep talking about him "maybe" or actually "being" a "bust" because if Watkins can stay healthy all this talk is just going to further add to his fire along with the contract year and put him in line for a monster season.

No joke, If he can put the injury bug behind him finally, this kid can easily hit 1400+ yards, 90+ catches, and double digit TD's even in a run oriented offense here this year. Sammy isnt remotely close to a bust if you weigh him on talent, he's just had some bad luck on the injury front. Given he had no prior injury issues, its not unrealistic that he could put it behind him this year. And with his fracture, historically the injury has responded quite well after the 2nd surgery, so there is reason to be optimistic about this foot issue being in the past.

So I hope this thread hits 100 pages of "bust" nonsense and keeps adding more gasoline to the fire as I think he's going to put on a show this year and I can't wait to watch it.

Watkins and especially Clay because he was a free agency acquisition are two talented players who haven't come close to realizing their talents with the Bills because the qb position was not at a level it needed to be. You can accumulate all the offensive pieces you want and still not get a good return if the trigger man is inadequate. It is approaching a quarter century since the Bills have not had a legitimate long term qb. Addressing that position should be the priority! Whaley had more than enough time to address that issue. He dithered. He ended up losing his job. One of his first responses after being fired was that he should have made finding a franchise more of a priority. No shiiit Sherlock! No more excuses!

While I agree he failed on the QB front, I think he'd still be GM if he didn't fail on that aspect. That may be obvious to some, but I think it is a testament of the talent he brought to the roster outside of QB.

Edited by What a Tuel

I love all this bust talk to be honest. Any idiot who can count to 3 can see that when healthy he is an ELITE talent at WR. So I hope people keep talking about him "maybe" or actually "being" a "bust" because if Watkins can stay healthy all this talk is just going to further add to his fire along with the contract year and put him in line for a monster season.

No joke, If he can put the injury bug behind him finally, this kid can easily hit 1400+ yards, 90+ catches, and double digit TD's even in a run oriented offense here this year. Sammy isnt remotely close to a bust if you weigh him on talent, he's just had some bad luck on the injury front. Given he had no prior injury issues, its not unrealistic that he could put it behind him this year. And with his fracture, historically the injury has responded quite well after the 2nd surgery, so there is reason to be optimistic about this foot issue being in the past.

So I hope this thread hits 100 pages of "bust" nonsense and keeps adding more gasoline to the fire as I think he's going to put on a show this year and I can't wait to watch it.

Some folks really think this. Insane.

I think I'd bet $100k on Sammy not hitting those numbers if he played 15+ games this year.

Some folks really think this. Insane.

I think I'd bet $100k on Sammy not hitting those numbers if he played 15+ games this year.

Then you aren't paying attention.

His per target production portends numbers quite close to those that you call insane.

Then you aren't paying attention.

His per target production portends numbers quite close to those that you call insane.

That's fantastic.

The sneaky thing about the "per target production" stat is that you need X number of targets to hit those numbers.

It's not gonna happen. Sammy Watkins is not going to be the tenth highest targeted WR in Dennison's offense with TT at the helm. I think you're the one "not paying attention."

Now if we trade for Phillip Rivers or something, then I could see it.

Based on his career to this point we'd be looking at 157 targets to reach 1400 yards. It's basically 10 targets a game.

5 WR's in the NFL recieved 10 targets per game in 2016. And Sammy Watkins paired with the 20th or so best QB in the NFL will be one of them next year?

Check or cash?

Edited by jmc12290

Anybody but sportswriters and I'd at least consider the possibility of entertaining the thought.

That's fantastic.

The sneaky thing about the "per target production" stat is that you need X number of targets to hit those numbers.

It's not gonna happen. Sammy Watkins is not going to be the tenth highest targeted WR in Dennison's offense with TT at the helm. I think you're the one "not paying attention."

Now if we trade for Phillip Rivers or something, then I could see it.

5 WR's in the NFL recieved 10 targets per game in 2016. And Sammy Watkins paired with the 20th or so best QB in the NFL will be one of them next year?

Check or cash?

I didn't say that he would receive that many. 145 is the number in my head which would tie him with Crabtree and Demaryius Thomas. The Bills will throw the ball more and Watkins will get the majority of the looks. I'm thinking more like 9 targets a game and 1,250 or so yards (if healthy).

He's never going to put up big numbers over the course of a season in this offense, simply by virtue of how little we pass the ball. He's arguably one of the most underutilized wideouts in the game. I'd hate to see him go, but our offense doesn't rely on his production (or any production out of the passing game, really).

He's never going to put up big numbers over the course of a season in this offense, simply by virtue of how little we pass the ball. He's arguably one of the most underutilized wideouts in the game. I'd hate to see him go, but our offense doesn't rely on his production (or any production out of the passing game, really).

We've never seen this offense? It sure sounds like they are going to throw the ball more. They aren't going to be like the Saints or anything but 34 or 35 attempts a game seems reasonable. If that's the case you are probably looking at another 2 targets a game for Sammy.

We've never seen this offense? It sure sounds like they are going to throw the ball more. They aren't going to be like the Saints or anything but 34 or 35 attempts a game seems reasonable. If that's the case you are probably looking at another 2 targets a game for Sammy.

I hope not. We have a QB whose main benefit is his ability to be efficient. That sweet spot of 27 APG in 2015 was where he needs to be at...move him up 2 more throws per game and he dips a full 10 points in QB rating as evidenced by last season. Those are touches that could and should be more productively given to McCoy.

I didn't say that he would receive that many. 145 is the number in my head which would tie him with Crabtree and Demaryius Thomas. The Bills will throw the ball more and Watkins will get the majority of the looks. I'm thinking more like 9 targets a game and 1,250 or so yards (if healthy).

Ah, you responded to bandit and it looked like you agreed with him. My mistake.

I just don't know about that. Sammy playing with the Bills QB that threw the most in recent memory hit 8 targets a game. That was good for 29th.

The top 10 WR's in targets per game in 2016 had QB's like:

Jameis

Big Ben

Brady

Eli

Dalton

Luck

Bortles

Brocketship

Palmer

Rodgers

Now the only 2 QB's TT compares to on that list is Bortles and Brocketship. Maybe he can be one of those 2/10 next year, but I just don't think so.

I just don't know about that. Sammy playing with the Bills QB that threw the most in recent memory hit 8 targets a game. That was good for 29th.

The top 10 WR's in targets per game in 2016 had QB's like:

Jameis

Big Ben

Brady

Eli

Dalton

Luck

Bortles

Brocketship

Palmer

Rodgers

Now the only 2 QB's TT compares to on that list is Bortles and Brocketship. Maybe he can be one of those 2/10 next year, but I just don't think so.

Siemian was in Denver and Thomas was tied for 10th at 145 (in Dennison's offense). That's what I have been using as the guide. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets Edited by Kirby Jackson