Chip Kelly Headed to ESPN as an NFL and CFB Analyst

Jeez this guy was on top of the world just a few years ago. Leading Oregon to one of the top programs in the nation. Belichick calling him to pick his brain because he was seen as an offensive genius. Had his pick of NFL jobs. Led Philly to the playoffs. He got greedy and wanted to be HC, OC, and GM and I think that was his downfall. Then he went to SF which was an absolute mess post-Harbaugh. Now can't get a HC job? And Marrone went with Hackett over Chip in Jax. That's crazy

Jeez this guy was on top of the world just a few years ago. Leading Oregon to one of the top programs in the nation. Belichick calling him to pick his brain because he was seen as an offensive genius. Had his pick of NFL jobs. Led Philly to the playoffs. He got greedy and wanted to be HC, OC, and GM and I think that was his downfall. Then he went to SF which was an absolute mess post-Harbaugh. Now can't get a HC job? And Marrone went with Hackett over Chip in Jax. That's crazy

I remember when Gruden said he talked to his wife about being an assistant at Oregon, just so he could learn what Chip was doing.

It is indeed an odd career arc - arguably a dramatic fall from grace.

Indeed.

I'm sure there will be a college team calling him sometime next year.

He'll easily get another college HC job. If he's patient and bides his time at ESPN, he'll get a nice cushy spot somewhere with full control of the team.

he was fired too late to get a college HC job this year. He's being paid by Philly and SF still for this year. I think he's just keeping busy until next year. However, I understand he doesn't want to recruit anymore so I think he's going to wait for another NFL opportunity, maybe as OC.

@darrenrovell

Chip Kelly's salary with ESPN will be deducted from the money that the 49ers owed him. Had roughly $18M left on contract when he was fired.

He'll easily get another college HC job. If he's patient and bides his time at ESPN, he'll get a nice cushy spot somewhere with full control of the team.

If he wants it.

I could understand reading a cuecard on TV being a better lifestyle, as you get older, than recruiting and putting up with the college situation.

Just another good college head coach that couldn't cut it in the NFL. Seems to happen alot.

He won 10 games his first 2 seasons starting Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez, & Mike Vick. He was a good NFL coach until he became the GM, which killed him.

That's why I worry about the power structure with TBG. Getting too involved in personnel could like him as a coach.

what a douche. he and rex will make the nfl just more unwatchable this year.

i cannot wait to see rex on national tv talk about his stay in buffalo. i cannot wait to see chip talk about philly or san fran

two giant blow hard turds that need to be flushed.

EGO...

Chip was smarter than everyone else on the planet, or at least that's what he believed.

Just another good college head coach that couldn't cut it in the NFL. Seems to happen alot.

That's because winning in college ball is 99% about school name and recruiting success. Successful big time college coaches collect and stockpile talent, blow out conference weak sisters and run up the scores against modest programs like UB or Ball State so that the idiots who produce the collegiate rankings are suitably impressed with the teams' awesomeness ... and proud alumni donate millions to stadium renovations, weight rooms, scholarship funds, coaches salaries, etc.

The failure of big name collegiate coaches crashing and burning in the NFL goes back decades, probably at least to the 1970s. It's become even more noticeable with the salary cap leveling out the talent among pro teams. When big name collegiate HCs try the NFL, 99% of them fail because they have to be good, smart coaches with sound game strategies. There are no UBs or Ball States for the Oregons or Alabamas to overwhelm on talent alone since the talent difference between the best and worst NFL teams is only marginally different. Moreover, since pro players have years to hone their skills and knowledge of the game, they're a whole lot smarter than college kids, so NFL game plans on both side of the ball are much more sophisticated. The few collegiate HCs who prosper in the NFL tend to be like Pete Carroll -- guys who already have NFL HC experience.

In Kelly's case, his "system" really was a gimmicky one. He won a lot of games in Philly while defenses were figuring it out, but once they did, that was all she wrote for Kelly in the NFL.

Edited by SoTier

...me thinks it is based on the leverage and hammer they have at collegiate level versus no such deal at NFL level.....Saban bailed because of it IMO.....he has the BIG STICK in 'Bama, $7.5 mil/year to get by on, and boosters' lipstick all over his twin cheeks....ditto for Harbaugh.....would you give that up?....Chip wanted too much control too fast with zero NFL experience IMO....

There are a lot of good NFL head coaches that don't seem to be able to cut it also. There is only so much room at the top of the League, when you combine that with the lack of true starting Quarterback talent the slope gets slippery fast.

...me thinks it is based on the leverage and hammer they have at collegiate level versus no such deal at NFL level.....Saban bailed because of it IMO.....he has the BIG STICK in 'Bama, $7.5 mil/year to get by on, and boosters' lipstick all over his twin cheeks....ditto for Harbaugh.....would you give that up?....Chip wanted too much control too fast with zero NFL experience IMO....

Exactly. College is the way cushier gig.