Frazier believes Ragland can play outside.

I actually think Preston Brown could be solid again in a 4-3 setting. I really think he was just not comfortable ever in Ryan's defense. His best year as a Bill was his rookie year. I think he played on the outside though since Spikes was in the middle.

http://m.buffalobills.com/s/30841/embeddedNewsPath?newsGuid=c6c9e391-57e5-40c7-b653-460c8a1f4daf

Here's the Bills news of note for Thursday May 25th.

1 - Frazier believes Ragland could play outside

Leslie Frazier: "Create some competition"

Share:

Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier didn't have a lot to work with when it came to evaluating Reggie Ragland to see how he'd fit in Buffalo's new 4-3 scheme. All he had was training camp tape from last summer before Ragland tore his ACL.

"We were going through the evaluation process and we were trying to determine where guys were so with Ragland we went back to his training camp tape and we saw some good things," Frazier said in an appearance on the John Murphy Show.

Frazier and his defensive staff haven't had the opportunity to see him in a team practice period all spring, so it's allowed Preston Brown to man the middle linebacker role with the starting unit without any real competition.

"He's only been able to do individual work," said Frazier of Ragland. "We haven't gotten him in any team work yet. They haven't cleared him for that. In the individual drills you can see the athletic ability. You can see the talent that's there. In the meetings you know he's a smart football player who can really try to run things. We've been impressed in the little work that he can do. It's unfortunate we can't get him in the team periods yet."

When asked if Ragland could play outside should the team choose to leave Preston Brown as the team's middle backer, Frazier thought he could.

"We think he could potentially play outside," Frazier said. "We have a limited sample size based on his rookie season and that was just training camp so you have to look at his college tape and project. Based on our projections we think he could play the middle linebacker position and one of the outside positions."

The strong side would seem a bit more likely than the weak side, which has far greater coverage responsibilities. That's not to say that Ragland can't cover. He just might be better suited to holding the edge in the run front on the strong side.

Frazier currently has Ramon Humber as his starting weak side linebacker, and said he's doing a good job. They also have a couple of other outside linebacker candidates.

"We think we have some pieces in place," Frazier said. "You're always looking to create competition at the positions. We've drafted a couple of guys in Matt Milano and Tanner Vallejo and both of them have shown that they're capable of playing that outside position. We're creating some competition, but we really won't know where we are until we get to put the pads on and get into some preseason games."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he thinks he might be able to play outside (as in SLB vs MLB, not necessarily WLB) if needed. Based on the film from TC and college. But he won't know for sure until they put the pads on. I agree with him... not sure why this is surprising.

Oh God.

I believe this kid will try hard but the entire NFL passed on him except for Rex. What are the odds Rex was right and everyone else was wrong?

wrong about what? No non-first round LB has ever played anything but MLB?

You act like no one would have drafted him if the Bills did not.

He might have gotten drafted in later rounds as some sort of flier a team was taking but he would not have been part of any team's plan like he was with Rex. Rex had an antiquated scheme that no longer worked in the NFL. Ragland describes himself as a throwback. I have nothing against the kid....I kind of like him....but antiquated scheme throwback LBs do not typically go high in the draft. Every team passed on him.

Reading between the lines, Frazier is basically saying he has no idea what to do with him. Shaq and Ragland are not really of any use and Washington's college coach rolled his eyes when he was selected.

Everyone complains about Sammy and EJ, but the Rex draft is the one that set us back.

He might have gotten drafted in later rounds as some sort of flier a team was taking but he would not have been part of any team's plan like he was with Rex. Rex had an antiquated scheme that no longer worked in the NFL. Ragland describes himself as a throwback. I have nothing against the kid....I kind of like him....but antiquated scheme throwback LBs do not typically go high in the draft. Every team passed on him.

Reading between the lines, Frazier is basically saying he has no idea what to do with him. Shaq and Ragland are not really of any use and Washington's college coach rolled his eyes when he was selected.

Everyone complains about Sammy and EJ, but the Rex draft is the one that set us back.

later rounds as a flyer? He was almost universally projected as a 1st round pick across the board. Maybe some had 2nd rd. Up until draft day. Why do you think he would have suddenly dropped down to the later rounds as a flyer? Edited by YoloinOhio

later rounds as a flyer? He was almost universally projected as a 1st round pick across the board. Maybe some had 2nd rd. Up until draft day. Why do you think he would have suddenly dropped down to the later rounds as a flyer?

And then what happened?

He was a great college player that does not fit in the NFL. It is what it is. I don't want to hate on the kid so I will stay out but it was a bad pick that no other team made. It was Rex being Rex.

And then what happened?

He was a great college player that does not fit in the NFL. It is what it is. I don't want to hate on the kid so I will stay out but it was a bad pick that no other team made. It was Rex being Rex.

:huh: Rex didn't pick him either. He picked Shaq.

(we ARE talking about 1st Rd selections only, right??) :doh:

And then what happened?

what happened? He was drafted in the 2nd round and then got hurt in TC. How does this not make him a fit for the NFL?

Why do you think if the Bills didn't take him in the 2nd, that another team would not have done so?

Edited by YoloinOhio

And then what happened?

Does not fit in the NFL? What makes you think he doesn't fit in the NFL? Because he wasn't taken in the 1st?

He was going to be a high pick regardless if it's was the Bills or not.

Does this sound like someone who can't play in the NFL?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/reggie-ragland?id=2555169

He might have gotten drafted in later rounds as some sort of flier a team was taking but he would not have been part of any team's plan like he was with Rex.

Preston is a bum

Is it me, or has this forum gotten increasingly dumber over the last couple months?

Urban Meyer (you didn't know that?) said this about Washington.

"He's got a defensive end skill set with a big body," Urban Meyer said Friday night on the NFL Network. "The thing he does best is rush the quarterback. He has to get much better against the run, but he's excellent against the pass."

Frazier is also not saying they don't know what to do with him. He was asked if he thought Ragland could play outside and he answered the question.

I really think you don't have a clue about football and complaining for the sake of complaining.

Don't both Shaq and Washington have a background in the 4-3? This is a better defense for both of them. Who had Ragland dropping in the draft? He was picked right were he was projected, late first early second. Edited by chris heff