5-22: Whaley Will Speak on SiriusXM NFL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley may well have not been good at his job but it is irrelevant. You stated Mcdermott started working with Whaley and then thought, "Oh, time for a change."

McDermott claimed Pegulas came to the realization it was time for a change AFTER the draft!

The Buffalo News spells out the facts, Mcdermott was getting his people in. If you like that, great. But don't change the facts or the timeline.

Jeff no offense meant but you really gotta stop taking everything that is printed as gospel on what actually happens.

The truth is often in between on this stuff.

Whaley may well have not been good at his job but it is irrelevant. You stated Mcdermott started working with Whaley and then thought, "Oh, time for a change."

McDermott claimed Pegulas came to the realization it was time for a change AFTER the draft!

The Buffalo News spells out the facts, Mcdermott was getting his people in. If you like that, great. But don't change the facts or the timeline.

McDermott never wanted Whaley, and Whaley's days were numbered after the season ended.

as for the claim that McD is in complete control, all speculation. I'm sure he will have input, heavy input as expected but complete control?

I'll take the owners word before a bn source or someone on this board.

"Sean’s a head coach," the owner said. "When we hire a new GM, we’ll talk about, obviously, his obligations and duties, but Sean’s a head coach. The GM’s going to be the GM."

Never subscribed to the hate. Always seemed like a decent smart hard working guy that just lack public speaking polish.

He made some very nice moves in his tenure (or at least nice moves were made that I believed were his doing).

the best summary of his overall tenure, I thought, was while he tactically assembled rosters that could compete- there was a lack of strategic blueprint...

And honestly, with 9 head coaches and 102 coordinators and him not hiring the guys... it's hard to blame him solely for lack of vision. There's got to be a level of scheme consistency so free agents can thrive and draft picks can grow.

Good for you DW!!! Stay classy!

Much more classy than geeks like Tim Graham. DW was completely handcuffed his entire here. His best bet is to go back to a well run organization and try to get another shot at GM.

Who care about EJ? Teams draft QB's high all the time and miss. The point is you can't just sit back and cry about the miss. You need to go do it until you get the guy. Knowing what I know about how Whaley was ready to move heaven and earth to get a QB for Buffalo it does make me a bit sad that just as the light comes on they take away the keys. Here's to hoping the new guys don't think they have forever to improve the position.

Ozzie Newsome missed on Kyle Boller. He went and got Flacco and won a Superbowl. Bills miss on EJ and since then no 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB in the last 4 drafts.

Yeah, the whole EJ is just garbage repeated by morons. Guys miss on QBs all the time. I'm glad he took a shot.

Much more classy than geeks like Tim Graham. DW was completely handcuffed his entire here. His best bet is to go back to a well run organization and try to get another shot at GM.

Yeah, the whole EJ is just garbage repeated by morons. Guys miss on QBs all the time. I'm glad he took a shot.

Missing on a QB is fine; you have to take shots. Being the last person on earth to realize he isn't good when you're an NFL GM? Not so much. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Whaley still believes in him.

Missing on a QB is fine; you have to take shots. Being the last person on earth to realize he isn't good when you're an NFL GM? Not so much. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Whaley still believes in him.

Well, a team with SB aspirations just signed him. And a GM believed in a player he drafted? Burn him!

Never subscribed to the hate. Always seemed like a decent smart hard working guy that just lack public speaking polish.

He made some very nice moves in his tenure (or at least nice moves were made that I believed were his doing).

the best summary of his overall tenure, I thought, was while he tactically assembled rosters that could compete- there was a lack of strategic blueprint...

I largely agree except about his public speaking polish. When there's nothing good to say it's difficult to articulate that in a way your audience will buy into. He knew no more talk would do it and it made him look bad. He then just went to work - but it wasn't enough.

It's kind of like saying a salesman just doesn't have the skills to sell - until you realize he's selling encyclopedias door to door.

Well, a team with SB aspirations just signed him. And a GM believed in a player he drafted? Burn him!

The Raiders signed EJ to be their starter, right? No? Then he must be their #2, right? No? Hmm...

He signed a 1-year, $800k deal, with $0 guaranteed. Don't be too surprised if he doesn't make the team.

It's admirable for a GM to believe in a guy he drafted, up until a certain point. That point should've been long ago.

The Raiders signed EJ to be their starter, right? No? Then he must be their #2, right? No? Hmm...

He signed a 1-year, $800k deal, with $0 guaranteed. Don't be too surprised if he doesn't make the team.

It's admirable for a GM to believe in a guy he drafted, up until a certain point. That point should've been long ago.

You're right. It sucks to get paid to play football. And we would have been so much better off with Matt Cassel.

Whaley is a smart guy. He had 2014, 2015 & 2016 to win. He dealt with some tough circumstances including an ownership change and a coach quitting. All told he did an alright job. I'm sure he's learned some things that he would apply at the next stop.

You're right. It sucks to get paid to play football. And we would have been so much better off with Matt Cassel.

Cassel's a 2nd stringer making 3x what EJ's making, so he must be awesome.

Whaley is a smart guy. He had 2014, 2015 & 2016 to win. He dealt with some tough circumstances including an ownership change and a coach quitting. All told he did an alright job. I'm sure he's learned some things that he would apply at the next stop.

I hear you, but I think Whaley actually benefitted from having a green owner who didn't know any better than to see what he could do with his own eyes. He managed to get an extension out of it, too.