Offensive Adjustments: Wide Zone Blocking & Play Action

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/22/vic-caruccis-bills-analysis-bigger-adjustment-likely-offensive-scheme/

I have been thinking about our offense for this year. According to Carucci, there are two changes that are likely to happen: Wide Zone Blocking and passing coming primarily out of Play Action settings on the early downs.

I am a little concerned about the Wide Zone Blocking scheme - our offensive line has not really done this much. I worry about tinkering with something that was working before (like Rex Ryan with the Defense). While Shady can be electric with the Inside Zone blocking against a soft run box, I dont how he will do in the revised scheme.

The Play Action oriented offense I wholly endorse for now. I feel with a dual threat QB, we did not do it enough last year. But did we not do it because of OC's preferences or because Tyrod was not good at it in practice? If it is the former (and I think it is), I am excited. If it is the latter though, I am concerned.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Thanks the bandit27. I knew we did great on Inside Zone plays - but did not realize we were good on the outside zone plays too and that we ran that a lot!The numbers don't lie. I feel a bit better already. Hope they don't give up on the Inside Zone plays too much though.

Thanks the bandit27. I knew we did great on Inside Zone plays - but did not realize we were good on the outside zone plays too and that we ran that a lot!The numbers don't lie. I feel a bit better already. Hope they don't give up on the Inside Zone plays too much though.

What's funny is that usually the "dancing" rb's struggle in zone schemes, but shady has hit the hole hard for the most part. He did struggle in 2016 with negative runs though (https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/stuff-percentage/2016/).

I see dimarco lining up all over the place in this scheme. We lack a real 2nd TE for pass catching purposes, but we can line him up all over the formation as well as like a FB.

Edited by dneveu

I am a little concerned about the Wide Zone Blocking scheme - our offensive line has not really done this much. I worry about tinkering with something that was working before (like Rex Ryan with the Defense).

I was worried about the exact same thing and was wondering why it wasn't being talked about more (if at all)

There was this quote from Dennison in recent article which made me feel a bit better (even if the 1st sentence doesn't make sense? - I guess he's saying the philosophy will be to try to carry over aspects of the run game, even though at this point they haven't fully analyzed the scheme)

Dennison spent no time analyzing the Bills’ scheme from a year ago, but he also said it was easy to see how finely tuned the run game.

“Some things that they did here that (Juan Castillo, the offensive line coach and run game coordinator) and I talked about, run game in particular, that they’ve done very well, we’re going to try and carry over,” Dennison said of some of the Greg Roman concepts.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/05/19/bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison/101882932/

man, I haven't worried about any of this at all. I suppose there's some question about whether the line can handle it, but I don't see why not. They're generally pretty mobile. And I have no concern about McCoy whatsoever. The guy understands finding daylight and going to it. He understands patience. Last season I imagined him running behind the Steelers line, in place of Bell, and my guess was that he'd be even better at that running style than Bell is.

What I really like about those stretch plays is that they put the whole backfield in motion, including the QB. It allows for floating pockets, rollouts. It isolates pass rushers, so they are easier for a mobile QB to avoid them. I think opening up the offense this way is going to fit nicely with the Bills personnel.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Shaw is right. Personally, I'm a little worried about how our QB is going to handle an offense that is at least partially timing based. I don't recall seeing many of these throws from TT over the last 2 years, except for some stuff on the sidelines. Maybe cause he struggles to see over the line? I'm hoping that the rolling pocket will open up some passing lanes for him.

Edited by Tenhigh

man, I haven't worried about any of this at all. I suppose there's some question about whether the line can handle it, but I don't see why not. They're generally pretty mobile. And I have no concern about McCoy whatsoever. The guy understands finding daylight and going to it. He understands patience. Last season I imagined him running behind the Steelers line, in place of Bell, and my guess was that he'd be even better at that running style than Bell is.

What I really like about those stretch plays is that they put the whole backfield in motion, including the QB. It allows for floating pockets, rollouts. It isolates pass rushers, so they are easier for a mobile QB to avoid them. I think opening up the offense this way is going to fit nicely with the Bills personnel.

Good post. (translation: I agree.)

One downside to think about with the stretch plays and moving pockets is that it does allow for DBs to grab/tackle the WRs freely. It's going to be important that our WRs other than Watkins (since he's proven himself powerful enough) be able to work off a jam quickly and take the fight to the DB.

One downside to think about with the stretch plays and moving pockets is that it does allow for DBs to grab/tackle the WRs freely. It's going to be important that our WRs other than Watkins (since he's proven himself powerful enough) be able to work off a jam quickly and take the fight to the DB.

good stuff fellas :thumbsup:

I've always thought TT was at his best with play-action and misdirection plays. Sounds like this will play to that strength.

The speed of the Bills backfield when used properly will put the opposition on its heels in my humble opinion Rubes.

Edited by Figster

Kind of true... holding is still applicable so you can't grab/tackle. You can just contact them.

Does zone/wide scheme essentially eliminate pulling guards (and even tackles) that we have seen over the last several years?

Roman's pin/pull is more of a man concept, yes, but I think you'll still see a fair amount of movement along the offensive front, which was the key behind why the OL was able to generate so many holes in the run game.

I think Vic is exaggerating a bit on how much of a learning curve this is going to be for these guys. The OL definitely seems to have a good chemistry and it helps that they're going into their third year with no major changes. Aside from the RT spot, Glenn, Incognito, Wood and Miller all have two seasons playing together. Another thing working in their favor was having Greg Roman as OC for a while. The man utilized just about every blocking style there is so these guys are experienced in a wide variety of schemes.

Of course there's change with any new coaching staff as coaches need to learn what their players do best and how to implement their system with these guys. But clearly they've ran the ball very well over the last two seasons so I would hope Dennison and his crew are wise enough to not completely overhaul every single thing. And these guys have seen coaching changes many times before, whether it's been here or somewhere else so I wouldn't expect many of them to be overwhelmed by the changes.

Roman's pin/pull is more of a man concept, yes, but I think you'll still see a fair amount of movement along the offensive front, which was the key behind why the OL was able to generate so many holes in the run game.

....one of Richie's superb strengths.....

Thanks for the post 66 !

Good conversation starter . Thanks