Rick Dennison interview on WGR

If the Bills wanted to tank they would've never brought Tyrod back and Peterman would start.

It's not like Peterman was a 1st Round pick with heavy expectations. And bringing back Tyrod was definitely a choice of the new staff. Tyrod has familiarity with the system obviously and that is part of the reason he was brought back. If Peterman proves to be a better option than Tyrod running said system the role of starter will not be thrust upon him in hopes of a tank job. Tyrod is hesitant, either doesn't see the field or doesn't trust his read, and is scared to try to throw a guy open. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work out for TT.

Edited by H2o

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1, hop, slide, throw. he did release it faster there (EXTREMELY RARE) but he had poor footwork. I'm talking about 1, 2, 3 (plant back foot), unleash it. he has never made a timing throw like that maybe in his life

Not to mention that play was out of the shotgun

Havent seen any 3 step drops from under center

I'd prefer it if they designed the offense around his unique skillset. He's at his best when improvising. It doesn't have to be a bad thing that he holds on to the ball longer most because he can avoid pressure longer than most. Designed rollouts, moving pocket, guys running deep, etc. Be unconventional.

Rollouts and moving pockets are all well and good. Once and a while. But you can't design an offense around that scheme as roll outs and moving pockets severely limit the amount of space available to attack, making it much easier for defenses to defend, especially at this level. TT needs to be able to utilize the entire field at will in the passing game and that means operating from a pocket between the tackles.

Rollouts and moving pockets are all well and good. Once and a while. But you can't design an offense around that scheme as roll outs and moving pockets severely limit the amount of space available to attack, making it much easier for defenses to defend, especially at this level. TT needs to be able to utilize the entire field at will in the passing game and that means operating from a pocket between the tackles.

Excellent post.

1, hop, slide, throw. he did release it faster there (EXTREMELY RARE) but he had poor footwork. I'm talking about 1, 2, 3 (plant back foot), unleash it. he has never made a timing throw like that maybe in his life

One thing I was certain of is that you'd pick apart anything I posted.

That was literally exactly what you asked for...3 step drop, plant, throw, TD. Ball was out in less than a second and on target.

The other throw I thought of immediately was this TD versus KC, which I'm sure you'll have some kind of issue with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnN8iC2MqII

Regardless, the numbers tell a clear story, and there's plenty of examples. Like this one:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Tyrod-Taylor-finds-LeSean-McCoy-for-a-7-yard-touchdown-catch/36514da0-0f11-41fa-9dca-8602c5d66bf9

Edited by thebandit27

You are right of course

Tyrod Taylor HAS made throws from the pocket......shoot....he has even hit slants and made throws over the middle even though it does not seem to be his forte

Then we also run the ball a lot and are quite good at it

I think the key is to add MORE of the moving pockets and roll outs to the offense

I find it very hard to believe that Timing, throwing when you should throw it, see the play develop... not having to see a WR wide open but KNOWING that WR will be there where you throw the ball.

there is to much he has to learn. Not to mention that MID range accuracy in middle of the field.. that 7-13 yard throw is where he struggled. Coachable? I doubt it.

Peterman to me is a more talented short to mid range thrower.. ID like to integrate Peterman's short to mid range accuracy to Tyrods long range throwing.. we have a hell of a QB>>

Starting QB? "I think we will put them all out there and let them compete"

This says it all..

I find it very hard to believe that Timing, throwing when you should throw it, see the play develop... not having to see a WR wide open but KNOWING that WR will be there where you throw the ball.

there is to much he has to learn. Not to mention that MID range accuracy in middle of the field.. that 7-13 yard throw is where he struggled. Coachable? I doubt it.

Peterman to me is a more talented short to mid range thrower.. ID like to integrate Peterman's short to mid range accuracy to Tyrods long range throwing.. we have a hell of a QB>>

This says it all..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/

How about a little play action?! The shotgun "play-action" is always so easily read.

This says it all..

Never seen peterman play. Don't really want to at this point... maybe next year or if people are injured.

Few people have argued to shove him out the door. I have not. But there is a realization that there are limitations to his game that relate to "vision" that won't significantly improve. If that assessment is correct then the next question is with that hole in his game can he get you to where you want to go? I have major reservations on that question.

The article you cited pointed out that there are plenty of qbs that fall within his category, even acknowledging that he might be near the top of that middle category. Again, I ask whether that is good enough in the long run? I resolutely say no.

Few people have argued to shove him out the door. I have not. But there is a realization that there are limitations to his game that relate to "vision" that won't significantly improve. If that assessment is correct then the next question is with that hole in his game can he get you to where you want to go? I have major reservations on that question.

The article you cited pointed out that there are plenty of qbs that fall within his category, even acknowledging that he might be near the top of that middle category. Again, I ask whether that is good enough in the long run? I resolutely say no.

I completely agree...I posted the article merely as contextual reference for where he struggles.

I completely agree...I posted the article merely as contextual reference for where he struggles.

The article you posted perfectly captures the issues that this new staff faced regarding their qb situation heading into the draft. In my mind they took the cautious Jauron/Levy approach and decided to work with what they had and around with what they had. The new HC/GM, McDermott, decided to take the route that the article seems to promote.

You very well know my annoyingly and too often stated position regarding the qb position and this draft. I felt that with TT ensconced on the roster it was a good time to select one of the prospects available in Mahomes or Watson. That lack of willingness to take the plunge and wait for a better situation is the same attitude that has crippled this franchise for a generation.

Only time will tell whether the bypassing of the two qb prospects in this draft was a mistake. I believe it was. However, sometimes you can be wrong yet over time the later decisions can more than compensate for the prior decisions. I'm hoping that is the case here.

Just show me a better option

Simple

You honestly think Peterman wins the job and looks better in the offense then Tyrod?

Your question brings up another interesting question. If Peterman had a stronger arm it's not unreasonable to believe that he would have been a top shelf qb prospect in this draft. He seems to have good pocket presence and have good vision and an ability to make quick reads. The arm strength concerns offset some of the other qb skills that many prospects don't have.

Is it likely that Peterman can develop a stronger arm like Brady did? Probably not but it is not impossible.

Just show me a better option

Simple

I have already said it a thousand times! Why would you want me to repeat it? The best option (in my opinion) was keeping TT on the roster as a bridge qb and drafting a prospect such as Mahomes or Watson from this last draft. How much simpler can my response get?

Your question brings up another interesting question. If Peterman had a stronger arm it's not unreasonable to believe that he would have been a top shelf qb prospect in this draft. He seems to have good pocket presence and have good vision and an ability to make quick reads. The arm strength concerns offset some of the other qb skills that many prospects don't have.

Is it likely that Peterman can develop a stronger arm like Brady did? Probably not but it is not impossible.

I have already said it a thousand times! Why would you want me to repeat it? The best option (in my opinion) was keeping TT on the roster as a bridge qb and drafting a prospect such as Mahomes or Watson from this last draft. How much simpler can my response get?

Sorry I wasnt really directing this at you....just making a statement

Sorry I wasnt really directing this at you....just making a statement

No need to apologize. Sometimes when reading a response it is difficult to determine who it is directed at and how it is meant. Sorry for the sharp tone.

Why cant Sammy thrive in an offense based on precision and anticipation?

We'll use the old Steve Johnson excuse that got thrown out there by fans - he runs irregular routes and confuses his QB.

That might as well been Rex Ryan this morning talking about Tyrod and the plan for this offense.