Peter King/MMQB: The Bills Begin... Again

I am talking about dead cap. You are talking about something else. So stick to the topic or not.

Doesn't matter if it's dead cap. If we pay Tyrod $4.25 million to not play while simultaneously paying a rookie salary for our starting QB, the end result is that we're paying less than $10 million total into the QB position. That is much less than almost every Super Bowl team could hope to devote to that position. Realistically the only scenario in which the Tyrod dead cap could hurt us is if we decide to go for Brees or Rivers right before their retirement or something like that. I don't see that happening either way so I'm not concerned. I know you don't think Tyrod performed well enough to stay on the team but we are not paying him much at all. The sunk cost is minimal. We couldn't have spent the money in a better place, not if the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter if it's dead cap. If we pay Tyrod $4.25 million to not play while simultaneously paying a rookie salary for our starting QB, the end result is that we're paying less than $10 million total into the QB position. That is much less than almost every Super Bowl team could hope to devote to that position. Realistically the only scenario in which the Tyrod dead cap could hurt us is if we decide to go for Brees or Rivers right before their retirement or something like that. I don't see that happening either way so I'm not concerned. I know you don't think Tyrod performed well enough to stay on the team but we are not paying him much at all. The sunk cost is minimal. We couldn't have spent the money in a better place, not if the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

Why would we compare our QB salary to a Super Bowl team or a team paying a QB who wins games for them? If we land a rookie QB phenom why would we want to pay Tyrod dead cap too?

Teams paying high salaries to QB's get great results. If our QB is not a Brady or Rodgers why should we care about the "AVERAGE" which includes QB's who bring more to the table?

Edited by jeffismagic

Pick out whatever line you like best. There is no context needed other than he qualifies everything in coaching cliches. Attacking posters without discussing football is your shtick.

context means everything.

I look at depth as a blend of quality and quantity with any position. At QB they have a solid starter with experience in the offense, vet backup with a playoff background and experience in the offense, a rookie considered the most NFL-ready in the draft, and a 2nd year project with unique physical talent. That's a nice mix to have.

Thanks, Russ Brandon.

Also....backup qbs are in fact important on the team.....if your playing less to a rookie but paying more to a backup qb who can play.....you are solidifying your qb spot....which IS the end game.

Most teams dont do this however because of cap management

A couple of observations:

1) If Beane had to think long and hard about giving up the warm confines of Carolina and that comfy safe job to become the GM of an NFL team with a buddy of his, I wonder IF he is ambitious enough to build a team for the superbowl.

2) The interview didn't have enough substance for Peter King to turn it into an article. Thus, it became "here is a short Q&A" in his weekly column. I just wonder if this indicates a lack of substance about the subjects of the interview.

3) Bills are not beginning again. There are a lot of good players here. This is NOT Cleveland Browns. Nor 49ers. There are quality pro-bowl calibre players on both sides of the ball. And every day role players ready to be coached up. I've never been more interested in this team since the Flutie Era. Yup, after that, this team's been in complete SHAMBLES. Admit it. You all know it. This is the most talented Bills team in decades. "begin again" means blow it all up and build from scratch. Begin again this ain't. With a right set of circumstances and coaching, Bills could be the Dolphins of last year. This team isn't that far.

His contract is a 8.5 million dead cap hit if we release him after this year. That is not great to have 8.5 dead cap.

It's not great to have but it's pretty normal. Only 5 teams carried less than 7 mil in dead cap last year for instance.

Dareus is our best defensive player and will be making plays this year. He was in the wrong scheme last 2 years.

Next weed suspension is 10 games minimum

I am talking about dead cap. You are talking about something else. So stick to the topic or not.

That is my bad.

The actual number is 8,155,872. Tyrod's right at the average for starting QBs.

And you find reason to complain about that. The constant whining gets old.

Having an extra, albeit likely low 2018 first rounder, is indeed a wonderful thing, if needed, in terms of capitol, to trade up in the 2018 draft

However by the same token, so would have been taking the free low 3rd and 4th 2018 rounders the NFL tried to give us

That would have been 3 extra draft picks to use as capitol

Because it will most likely take way more than just one extra first to trade up to the 2nd or 3rd spot

Ask the Bears or the Rams....

jc

Having an extra, albeit likely low 2018 first rounder, is indeed a wonderful thing, if needed, in terms of capitol, to trade up in the 2018 draft

However by the same token, so would have been taking the free low 3rd and 4th 2018 rounders the NFL tried to give us

That would have been 3 extra draft picks to use as capitol

Because it will most likely take way more than just one extra first to trade up to the 2nd or 3rd spot

Ask the Bears or the Rams....

jc

Definitely. Hopefully, the Chiefs start Mahomes right out of the gate. The potential for an earlier first would be much higher.

1) If Beane had to think long and hard about giving up the warm confines of Carolina and that comfy safe job to become the GM of an NFL team with a buddy of his, I wonder IF he is ambitious enough to build a team for the superbowl.

2) The interview didn't have enough substance for Peter King to turn it into an article. Thus, it became "here is a short Q&A" in his weekly column. I just wonder if this indicates a lack of substance about the subjects of the interview.

3) Bills are not beginning again. There are a lot of good players here. This is NOT Cleveland Browns. Nor 49ers. There are quality pro-bowl calibre players on both sides of the ball. And every day role players ready to be coached up. I've never been more interested in this team since the Flutie Era. Yup, after that, this team's been in complete SHAMBLES. Admit it. You all know it. This is the most talented Bills team in decades. "begin again" means blow it all up and build from scratch. Begin again this ain't. With a right set of circumstances and coaching, Bills could be the Dolphins of last year. This team isn't that far.

King like others doesn't have enough to write about and he wants to write about every team. This is a down week so it was a good time to cover the Bills. The Q and A was easy as you say. But it was informative.

The point about Beane is interesting. Thing is that in the new NFL where the GMs role us smaller than the old days you dont need a truly entrpreneurial guy. He may be fine.

Not sure where you're going with the ambitious comment. The guy's made it this far, hasn't he? Anyone, even the most ambitious, is going to think hard about moving from the Carolinas to Buffalo. This also meant that his kid has to go into a new high school. There's a lot of added stress put on the family.

King like others doesn't have enough to write about and he wants to write about every team. This is a down week so it was a good time to cover the Bills. The Q and A was easy as you say. But it was informative.

The point about Beane is interesting. Thing is that in the new NFL where the GMs role us smaller than the old days you dont need a truly entrpreneurial guy. He may be fine.

i didn't really see it as not being entrepreneurial and I don't really see eventually taking over Carolina as "safe." I saw it as he is going to have options in the future. To stay somewhere he and his family are happy is one. To be the GM of another team. Other than one in Buffalo, with no franchise QB and a drought and the pressure of the failings that came before him. When there are going to more opportunities at the end of this season that he could be in line for. It's a huge, life changing decision.

You can't say it any plainer than that.

The incumbent gets the nod (for now). Once camp opens the next chapter will begin.

The new novel begins. I'm thinking that we'll be introduced to the protagonist, a 2018 first round QB, in chapter 2.

Per usual, you pick one line out of context when both McD and Beane specifically went further in the discussion. You're an embarrassing "contributor" to this board.

unfortunately, it seems "contributors" like him stick around. Looks like TBD is replacing BBMB and we'll need a new TBD somewhere.

Edited by jeremy2020