Bills' Rookie Minicamp: May 12-14

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people need to temper their expectations for Zay Jones. It's going to take time for him to get used to playing WR at the NFL level. The system he played in at East Carolina is so different from what he will have to do now. He also needs to get much stronger in the upper body to prevent jamming at the line of scrimmage. Still think Andre Holmes starts with Jones being the third or fourth receiver in 2017.

Jones absolutely starts from day one.

@SalSports

On Kolby Listenbee: He's on schedule, likes how he's attacking rehab and where his mind is. - McDermott

@viccarucci

McDermott says having 1st-round CB Tre'Davious White & 2nd-round WR Zay Jones match up in practice was intentional. "Best-on-best." #Bills

@MatthewFairburn

Sean McDermott: "We are going to churn the roster until we feel like we have it where we want it."

@SalSports

Zay Jones: "This is Tyrod's team. This is Sammy's team. I'm just a small piece."

Excited about this rookie class. I think 4 start out of the Rookie Class.

1. Tre White

2. Zay Jones

3. D Dawkins

4. Matt Milano

Bill Parcells used to say that for every rookie you start, you lose a game.

I am looking forward to seeing what Listenbee brings to the table.

Most predictions I've seen are that he will be cut.

Could we have a QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY®??

Obligatory video of QB Nathan Peterman drop-back and throw:

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/863065837888045056

@SalSports: Things that really don't matter but I feel I should tweet: Josh Woodrum got 1st rep at QB. Peterman 2nd.

Nice tweet. :lol:

White: "Cool to Put on that Red, White, and Blue" (2:55)
The Bills cornerback talks about his first practice of rookie minicamp, competing with wide receiver Zay Jones, and becoming a father for the first time.

McDermott on Beane, First Rookie Minicamp (18:40)
Head Coach Sean McDermott talks about his impressions of the first rookie minicamp practice and shares his thought on new General Manager Brandon Beane.

Watch: Sights and Sounds of Rookie Minicamp Day 1 (1:17)
Watch a highlight of all that took place during the first day of 2017 Rookie Minicamp including the introduction of new Bills' GM Brandon Beane.

Bill Parcells used to say that for every rookie you start, you lose a game.

Jake Long...Parcells lost a lot of credibility after the Miami stint...the league passed him by and the new fact of nfl cap management allows you to win more by starting rookies and spending the savings elsewhere.

Jake Long...Parcells lost a lot of credibility after the Miami stint...the league passed him by and the new fact of nfl cap management allows you to win more by starting rookies and spending the savings elsewhere.

How does this new fact explain that there hasn't been a rookie starting for a super bowl champion in 10+ years?

I think people need to temper their expectations for Zay Jones. It's going to take time for him to get used to playing WR at the NFL level. The system he played in at East Carolina is so different from what he will have to do now. He also needs to get much stronger in the upper body to prevent jamming at the line of scrimmage. Still think Andre Holmes starts with Jones being the third or fourth receiver in 2017.

Antonio Brown came out of Central Michigan, doesn't really matter to me where you played ball. To dominate the way Zay did, both in the slot and flanked out wide...

Not saying there won't be an adjustment period, but that is said for most WRs. Plus, the kid was a second rounder, not like we took him at ten. If the expectations are through the roof, that is a bit silly, especially based on our style of offense.

However, where he played ball in college shouldn't be that much of a factor against him.

I think White and Dawkins start. Zay is #3 WR.

I don't think we are getting any other starters out of this draft class....except maybe, fingers crossed, Peterman!? Go Bills!!

3 starters in a couple years and s lotto ticket.

Zay is interesting for me. I live in Greenville, NC and have seen him up close many times. Initially I would have agreed with you, but after hearing what some of the coaches here have said of him (I have a cousin on the staff) the consensus is that Zay was limited by the system, not the other way around.

He has been practicing like a pro for the past 2 years. His father and uncle were both pros. He has worked on all the routes and all the finer points of playing WR at the NFL level for 2 years. If he isn't our number 2, there will be a lot of people who know him very well as a player that will be surprised.

Haven't seen Jones much but you could tell he was going to be a player from the senior bowl.

I think White and Dawkins start. Zay is #3 WR.

I don't think we are getting any other starters out of this draft class....except maybe, fingers crossed, Peterman!? Go Bills!!

3 starters in a couple years and s lotto ticket.

I agree. ..but draw the line at Peterman. Jones will be a perfect slot#3 in his rookie year