I want one clear answer on Friday

You can cry and complain all you want. That's your right. They bought and run the team their way. They have THAT right. They pay the players and coaches plus whoever it takes to run the teams. You pay for a seat to watch the game. That's all you are entitled to. You rent the seat and the parking place for each game. That's it. So ask any question you want. Cry and complain all you want. It changes nothing but you still have the right to do so. Just a waste of energy is all it is. Don't like the entertainment, don't buy a ticket to the show.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! I wish they would say, "We will let you know what we want you to know, have a nice day" And walk off. They need to focus on putting a winning team together, not placating fans and media. We win football games, the fan aspect takes care of its self

"We're going to be a tough team. We're going to play hard. Every job is up for grabs. Competition builds character. Blah, blah."

Skipped pages 2-5, but kind of doubt I missed much in the way of new content.

To get back to the issue in the thread, I do think who has the final say on the 53 man roster is important and something a Bills fan would reasonably care about as well as feel some justified entitlement to knowing about.

If the answer is Beane, then control of the team is more evenly apportioned. If the answer is McDermott, then he obviously has complete control. There is a difference between the two, although not one that should impact who would get canned given the matched contract lengths. The difference speaks more to whether or not Beane is a true GM. If Beane does not have control of the final 53, then would his position not be better described as head of football operations, director of player personnel, or something similar.

If the answer is anyone other than Beane or McDermott... yikes :wacko:

Probably answered in a press conference, so please forgive me in advance, but does the head coach still report to Brandon like did Marrone? (link)

(Of note, and per that link, I was unaware that Rivera reports(ed?) to Gettleman.)

I think this is completely reasonable.

Since the drought, the Bills have been inept at explaining, in plain English, who does what, when , and why over there.

Who cut Troy Vincent? Was it the GM? No, it was Jim Overdorf. Oh, ok.

Who drafted EJ Manuel? Was it Buddy Nix? No he's Whaley's guy! No but Buddy Was the GM!

Who drafted Aaron Maybin? Russ Brandon was their GM, but apparently Jauron "had to have him" - I specifically remember an Allen Wilson report about this some years ago. RIP to a very respected NFL writer.

Who drafted Shaq Lawson? Whaley was GM, but how much influence does Rex have?

Doug Marrone wanted to fire Bud Carpenter, but was overruled by "the old guard" management of Brandon, Overdorf and !@#$ing Scott Berchtold, their COMMUNICATIONS executive.

So, when all of those Buffalo News writers fans hate ask a VERY SIMPLE question, "who makes the decisions about the players?', expecting a lucid, simple, explicit answer after 17 years of dysfunction is more than fair. Sorry. Not sorry.

These are all pointed, specific examples of ineptitude of their organizational decision making. Fans care about this stuff because most of those above players mentioned furthered the drought, albeit the jury's out on Lawson.

This ends this fall, or in 3 years time when the Bills are 6-10, 7-9, 9-7 again, they fire everyone and start over, again.

I think this is completely reasonable.

Since the drought, the Bills have been inept at explaining, in plain English, who does what, when , and why over there.

Who cut Troy Vincent? Was it the GM? No, it was Jim Overdorf. Oh, ok.

Who drafted EJ Manuel? Was it Buddy Nix? No he's Whaley's guy! No but Buddy Was the GM!

Who drafted Aaron Maybin? Russ Brandon was their GM, but apparently Jauron "had to have him" - I specifically remember an Allen Wilson report about this some years ago. RIP to a very respected NFL writer.

Who drafted Shaq Lawson? Whaley was GM, but how much influence does Rex have?

Doug Marrone wanted to fire Bud Carpenter, but was overruled by "the old guard" management of Brandon, Overdorf and !@#$ing Scott Berchtold, their COMMUNICATIONS executive.

So, when all of those Buffalo News writers fans hate ask a VERY SIMPLE question, "who makes the decisions about the players?', expecting a lucid, simple, explicit answer after 17 years of dysfunction is more than fair. Sorry. Not sorry.

These are all pointed, specific examples of ineptitude of their organizational decision making. Fans care about this stuff because most of those above players mentioned furthered the drought, albeit the jury's out on Lawson.

This ends this fall, or in 3 years time when the Bills are 6-10, 7-9, 9-7 again, they fire everyone and start over, again.

Teams have multiple individuals involved in player evaluations. Your issue is they have given you answers and you just don't like the answers.

Teams have multiple individuals involved in player evaluations. Your issue is they have given you answers and you just don't like the answers.

Wrong, it's when multiple separate people are some how equipped with the power to make decisions when the the team itself says someone else is equipped with said power to make that decision.

How in hell is Jim Overdorf powerful enough to cut a player, but the GM didn't make that call?

This is the point.

Except when Dick Jauron insisted we draft Aaron Maybin.

This.

You can cry and complain all you want. That's your right. They bought and run the team their way. They have THAT right. They pay the players and coaches plus whoever it takes to run the teams. You pay for a seat to watch the game. That's all you are entitled to. You rent the seat and the parking place for each game. That's it. So ask any question you want. Cry and complain all you want. It changes nothing but you still have the right to do so. Just a waste of energy is all it is. Don't like the entertainment, don't buy a ticket to the show.

and Thread space..

There's no such thing as 'the final 53' ergo, no one is specifically responsible. Week 2 roster differs from week 1 as does every other week of the season. Injuries, FA pick ups, adding to/drawing from PS. When the mandatory 53 man limit date arrives, its just for week 1 and that number stays the rest of the way, but the players don't.

Wrong, it's when multiple separate people are some how equipped with the power to make decisions when the the team itself says someone else is equipped with said power to make that decision.

How in hell is Jim Overdorf powerful enough to cut a player, but the GM didn't make that call?

This is the point.

This.

That was back in the day and I would agree with your point about Overdorf. Who I suspect will be moving along any day now.

But why are people being so hard headed about wallowing in the past? The Pegulas have indicated they want a new philosophy and have brought two guys in to match that. Who cares what happened with Dick Jauron?

That was back in the day and I would agree with your point about Overdorf. Who I suspect will be moving along any day now.

But why are people being so hard headed about wallowing in the past? The Pegulas have indicated they want a new philosophy and have brought two guys in to match that. Who cares what happened with Dick Jauron?

I don't forget this stuff because I refuse to give this team any kind of a pass, especially when holdovers from that era still remain employed with power in the organization. Namely - Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf.

Until all the old guard execs at One Bills Drive are no longer receiving paychecks, I will refuse to give them any benefit of the doubt.

Too few fans on this board view the Bills with enough well-earned, much needed skepticism. I don't trust them, and until they prove me wrong, neither should you.

Edited by Peevo

I don't forget this stuff because I refuse to give this team any kind of a pass, especially when holdovers from that era still remain employed with power in the organization. Namely - Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf.

Until all the old guard execs at One Bills Drive are no longer receiving paychecks, I will refuse to give them any benefit of the doubt.

Too few fans on this board view the Bills with enough well-earned, much needed skepticism. I don't trust them, and until they prove me wrong, neither should you.

To blame one person for another's mistakes is ridiculous.

Dont tell me how to think

and Thread space..

There's no such thing as 'the final 53' ergo, no one is specifically responsible. Week 2 roster differs from week 1 as does every other week of the season. Injuries, FA pick ups, adding to/drawing from PS. When the mandatory 53 man limit date arrives, its just for week 1 and that number stays the rest of the way, but the players don't.

My main concern is that McD and Bean or in step together on the TYPE of players to get for his team.....not just today bout down the road

If they are doing that....then they are good.

Some of this other stuff is just petty

Once McDermott was hired Whaley had no control of the roster despite public pronouncements.

And according to the poster on this board that has had literally everything correct this offseason prior to when the information hit the media, you're incorrect:

@ Leroi : (10 May 2017 - 03:31 PM)Whaley was sabotaged by TBG. Convincing Terry that a complete change of culture was necessary. Whaley hired TBG and ran the draft only to be stabbed in the back, ultimately succumbing to office politics.

And according to the poster on this board that has had literally everything correct this offseason prior to when the information hit the media, you're incorrect:

@ Leroi : (10 May 2017 - 03:31 PM)Whaley was sabotaged by TBG. Convincing Terry that a complete change of culture was necessary. Whaley hired TBG and ran the draft only to be stabbed in the back, ultimately succumbing to office politics.

I just think at the end of the day the change had to happen going forward.....

I think Whaley got a bit of a raw deal.....it does not mean that change in the front office WONT be good for the bills going forward

Leroi's statement and what I believe are not far off. I would say "run the draft" means something other than make the picks. Sean made the picks.

Leroi's statement and what I believe are not far off. I would say "run the draft" means something other than make the picks. Sean made the picks.

Yes, they are dramatically different statements.

If "run the draft" doesn't mean "make the picks", then what does it mean?

Yes, they are dramatically different statements.

If "run the draft" doesn't mean "make the picks", then what does it mean?

Run the draft is Pegula BS. Are you claiming Whaley made the draft choices?

Whaley helped make phone calls and assisted Sean. This draft is 100 percent Sean McDermott.

Run the draft is Pegula BS. Are you claiming Whaley made the draft choices?

Whaley helped make phone calls and assisted Sean. This draft is 100 percent Sean McDermott.

Then Whaley didn't "run the draft" then, did he?

So just so I have this straight, you're saying that Leroi is wrong, correct?

Then Whaley didn't "run the draft" then, did he?

So just so I have this straight, you're saying that Leroi is wrong, correct?

It depends on what Leroi means by "run the draft". If he means Whaley made the picks that is absolutely absurd.

It depends on what Leroi means by "run the draft". If he means Whaley made the picks that is absolutely absurd.

He's in the Box o' Shout right now:

@ Leroi : (11 May 2017 - 03:25 PM)Whaley ran the draft; he worked the trades, made the selections. Of course, TBG had a say on who was drafted. But Whaley was the lead. photo-thumb-11693.jpg?_r=0

@ Leroi : (11 May 2017 - 03:26 PM)Dawkins was TBG's influence

Edited by thebandit27