Marty Hurney: Bills hit a homerun!!

Ex-Panthers GM Marty Hurney, who was a mentor of newly named Bills GM Brandon Beane, was just as happy for the Bills organization as he was for Beane when he was made the 13th GM in team history.

“The Bills hit a home-run here,” said Hurney. “Brandon has a feel for every facet of the football side of things – from personnel to the salary cap to operations to everything. You name it he has been involved with it. He has a great feel. He is one of the hardest workers you will find. He is one of the most competitive guys you will find, but that’s what drives him. He is exceptional.”

Just a retort to the poster who thought the signing of Beane was embarrassing.

Beane has been with Carolina for 19 years. He's not inexperienced. Sure he's the guy that McD wanted because McD was brought up in the same environment and the same system that he was. They think alike as far as their football philosophy and how to build a successful NFL team.

Now it will be interesting to see if they can obtain the difference-makers that it will take to get this team to the playoffs and beyond.

Obviously, I hope he's right. But what else would a guy that hired him say?

I get working hand in hand with the coach. But sometimes a GM is going to have to make a decision a coach doesn't like. I think defensive minded coaches are more conservative in general. What if this GM wants to draft a qb say like a Mahomes, who is a bit wild, while the coach wants a safer qb? Who wins out?

Big deal. Why does that even matter?

There's a litany of opinions on everything. Why base your worldview on what "some" said?

Um, because of a thread about his former boss talking up our new GM. Point is, this stuff gets said with every hire. Jerry Jones said it was a mistake to fire Chan. Polian liked Jauron. Marrone was Bill Parcells.

As a reformer homer, this stuff doesn't really carry much weight. And I think this guy will be handcuffed like Whaley so we won't even get to know how truly good he is.

Ex-Panthers GM Marty Hurney, who was a mentor of newly named Bills GM Brandon Beane, was just as happy for the Bills organization as he was for Beane when he was made the 13th GM in team history.

“The Bills hit a home-run here,” said Hurney. “Brandon has a feel for every facet of the football side of things – from personnel to the salary cap to operations to everything. You name it he has been involved with it. He has a great feel. He is one of the hardest workers you will find. He is one of the most competitive guys you will find, but that’s what drives him. He is exceptional.”

Just a retort to the poster who thought the signing of Beane was embarrassing.

Beane has been with Carolina for 19 years. He's not inexperienced. Sure he's the guy that McD wanted because McD was brought up in the same environment and the same system that he was. They think alike as far as their football philosophy and how to build a successful NFL team.

Now it will be interesting to see if they can obtain the difference-makers that it will take to get this team to the playoffs and beyond.

I wouldn't put too much weight into what Hurley said, its obligatory.