Nathan Peterman/Trent Edwards (pre-Cards game) comparison

How do the two compare before the Arizona game, after which Edwards was clearly not the same?

1) Arm strength

2) Anticipation

3) Drop back depth

4) Play action deception

5) Foot work

6) Eyes

7) Poise

8) Accuracy

9) Mobility

10) Decision making

11) Gameplan flexibility for your team due to ability to excel in multiple aspects of the position

11) Difficulty to gameplan against due to ability to excel in multiple aspects of the position

Note that I got basically all of these points from the Cover1 podcast video on Nathan Peterman on YouTube, and it's really good if you haven't watched it.

https://youtu.be/OpaY4jT6f_Q

Hoping to get someone who knows quarterbacking to compare the two players on those points (or any that make sense), especially since Cover1 said Peterman can stand in the pocket and have patience for a play to develop, even if it means a big hit, and Edwards was never the same after doing just that.

Edited by HardyBoy

I think this is nice to watch, He fits in well in a west coast short throwing game. There is a couple problems I see with him though cause I have watched many reruns of his games.

1. His come from behind ability because of lack of arm strength hurts him.

2. West Coast Offense is all good and dandy but eventually your going to have a lot of drives that stall.. Sacks, Penalties.. Sustained drives hard to come by in todays NFL.

I feel like what we have here is a QB that can control the game, not make many mistakes, long drives down the field.

I don't Like the words upside and downside on QB's cause its to much of a stretch either way.. but dare I say I think he will turn out to be Alex Smith 2.0 with a little bit better ability to throw with accuracy to those outside WR's 1-15 yards. Dare I say his upside is slightly higher then Alex Smith.

thoughts.

he's better then Trent I think..

Edited by PrimeTime101

They seemed to answer the questions. Quick decision making and accurate.

Yeah, but back in 2007, the only analysis you could get was "poised."

Curious what poised looked like, and what specifically made Trent Edwards the most complete qb since kelly?

What happened to Edward's eyes and his poise after that hit?

What does,'dropping your eyes' mean, and how does it impact mechanics?

How do the two compare before the Arizona game, after which Edwards was clearly not the same?

1) Arm strength

2) Anticipation

3) Drop back depth

4) Play action deception

5) Foot work

6) Eyes

7) Poise

8) Accuracy

9) Mobility

10) Decision making

11) Gameplan flexibility for your team due to ability to excel in multiple aspects of the position

11) Difficulty to gameplan against due to ability to excel in multiple aspects of the position

Note that I got basically all of these points from the Cover1 podcast video on Nathan Peterman on YouTube, and it's really good if you haven't watched it.

https://youtu.be/OpaY4jT6f_Q

Hoping to get someone who knows quarterbacking to compare the two players on those points (or any that make sense), especially since Cover1 said Peterman can stand in the pocket and have patience for a play to develop, even if it means a big hit, and Edwards was never the same after doing just that.

Just wanna point out that probably Trent's single best game was the game after the Arizona game. That's one narrative, that the big hit did for him, but it's not necessarily anything more than one way to look at things.

Just wanna point out that probably Trent's single best game was the game after the Arizona game. That's one narrative, that the big hit did for him, but it's not necessarily anything more than one way to look at things.

I remember that and it was probably a hit during that next game that really did the damage. He shouldn't have played, thought that at the time, and he would have been held out if that was 2017. That next game wasn't a fluke, he was becoming that player.

What happened to Edward's eyes and his poise after that hit?

What does,'dropping your eyes' mean, and how does it impact mechanics?

Dropping your eyes means staring at the pass rush. It isn't mechanics it throws off so much as timing, especially in a west coast offense. Meaning either the Quarterback gets anxious and lets it go too early to avoid getting hit or more sometimes that the rush distracts them and they end up late on the throw.

I am not as convinced as some that had the 'Zona hit never happened Trent Edwards would have been our guy - but he certainly became more prone to dropping his eyes after it than he was before.

I think we need to pump the brakes a little on Peterman - his college tape is mixed at best.... but does he have the ability to turn into an improved version of Trent Edwards? Sure. Question is whether that is good enough to be any more than a backup.

Did someone point out already that Edwards had is best game ever when he beat ladanian in his prime right after the cards game

Wasn't that the Power Outage game?

Can't point out what you couldn't see.. :lol:

I think we need to pump the brakes a little on Peterman - his college tape is mixed at best.... but does he have the ability to turn into an improved version of Trent Edwards? Sure. Question is whether that is good enough to be any more than a backup.

This is how I feel. Peterman is fine pick-up for where they got him. If he turns into a serviceable backup then it was worth the pick. Anymore than that is gravy.

Edited by Max Fischer

This is how I feel. Peterman is fine pick-up for where they got him. If he turns into a serviceable backup then it was worth the pick. Anymore than that is gravy.

That's fine, I'm not saying he's the next franchise qb, just hoping someone can break down the similarities and differences between him and another former bills qb. There are videos now that tell me why Peterson has potential, by breaking down actual game tape. That didn't exist when Trent Edwards was playing.

I don't know if Peterman will develop. I dont think anyone knows that yet. He does some things well that are hard to teach/learn and that you don't often see in a young QB. But he will not only have to continue to do those things well - he will have to improve on them. And he will have to be more consistent because his performance is uneven. He can make some great throws but also some lousy ones. When he tries to do too much ball security (piks and fumbles) appear to be an issue. As one would expect, he needs to up his game if he is going to suceed.

I don't think he is Trent however and I think he comes to the NFL with a better skill set, better mobility and a much more aggressive frame of mind. Trent was occasionally adequate early in his pro career but he was never a dynamic player. Peterman may be a guy who can make things happen if it all comes together for him.

That's probably because he was still concussed, once he recovered from the concussion he was afraid to get hit.

Guys I am sick of this arm strength bs. The kid will get stronger, and he has enough arm to toss the ball 40 yards in the air, that is all you need. Lets let this kid play then see.

To an extent I am guilty of this my self-

It's basically nitpicking at any possible fault in order to make your case, because it wasn't the player you wanted. That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm literally convinced our "fans" would rather see their fav spec flourish elsewhere and ours fail in order to be "correct" about their guy.

It's been beaten to death that there have been players who have improved their arm strength over their pro career.

Edited by BillsFan17

This is true... But more concerning is the narrative that Trent was any good at any point. Saying he was bad after that Wilson hit implies there was proficiency before that moment. Captain checkdown was horrendous and painful to watch since the beginning. If anyone thinks we 3-and-out alot now (we actually do), it was way worse with Trentative.

Let's be honest here that any win coming during his tenure was due to the bend-don't-break cover 2, RB, and ST. The 7 games we won every year with him were despite him not because of him.

I hope there are no similarities.