Pegulas right not to fire Jim Overdorf

I have read here, and other places, he should be canned for his bad contracts...wrong. HE didnt make contract decisions The GM's did. His job is to have the GM come to him and they say "make this work in the cap" that is it.

HE didn't give Dareus an insanely stupid contract, Whaley did. Jim Overdorf is considered to be one of the best in the NFL with the cap. The Next GM needs to keep that in mind and make better decisions on who gets what and for how much, before asking Jim to make it work within the cap.

Not sure why part if that is bold, but meh...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read here, and other places, he should be canned for his bad contracts...wrong. HE didnt make contract decisions The GM's did. His job is to have the GM come to him and they say "make this work in the cap" that is it.

HE didn't give Dareus an insanely stupid contract, Whaley did. Jim Overdorf is considered to be one of the best in the NFL with the cap. The Next GM needs to keep that in mind and make better decisions on who gets what and for how much, before asking Jim to make it work within the cap.

....sounds like a misunderstanding of Jim's role

• Associated Press
  • Published: Jan. 31, 2008 at 11:34 a.m.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

The move announced Thursday was part of a minor front office restructuring that follows Russ Brandon's promotion to chief operating officer. Brandon's promotion came after the Bills elected not to fill the general manager's role after Marv Levy stepped down at the end of the season.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This post is ridiculous. Dealing with the contract negotiations is literally Overdorf's job....

I can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious or not? Hopefully the answer is not and I just missed the sarcasm..

The worst part about today is that Overdorf still has a job at OBD.. He should have been the very first one out the door...

This post is ridiculous. Dealing with the contract negotiations is literally Overdorf's job....

I can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious or not? Hopefully the answer is not and I just missed the sarcasm..

The worst part about today is that Overdorf still has a job at OBD.. He should have been the very first one out the door...

You miss this greatly, It has to be ok'ed by the GM. No GM is going to say "here just go spend money" to someone. Jim has to tell the GM "they demand this much". Gm must say ok

• Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Jim Overdorf was promoted to Buffalo Bills senior vice president of football administration, giving him control over contract negotiations and salary cap decisions.

The move announced Thursday was part of a minor front office restructuring that follows Russ Brandon's promotion to chief operating officer. Brandon's promotion came after the Bills elected not to fill the general manager's role after Marv Levy stepped down at the end of the season.

Anyone who has been involved in the contract negotiations and salary cap decisions should be sent packing. If that includes Overdorf, and it sounds like it does, then he should be gone. To change the culture you have to change the people. All of them, including good ole, Russ Brandon.

The MO would be let Overdorf sign all draft picks and UDFA and then fire him.

• Associated Press

The OP captured Overdorf's role accurately. Overdorf executes the wishes of the GM and ownership and advises on salary cap implications. It's not like he made the decision to give Clay or MD the contracts they got. He was advised to structure a deal with Clay that the Dolphins couldn't match, he did that. He was told to retain MD and he did that at MD's market value at the time. He was also told to create a deal that would allow us some flexibility with Tyrod and he did that as well. I thought the Tyrod deal was unique and creative comparative to what other teams have done in similar situations. Taylor situations can put teams in cap purgatory for years and he/ownership/etc avoided that. I really don't know if Overdorf is or isn't doing a good job. Nobody here does. Given his employer is the only one with any idea I'll have to side with them on this even though that's not very popular these days.

Edited by KzooMike

How do you know this?

Pure guesswork, correct?

Dpesnt matter to me what we do with him. I just want our next GM to be better at managing the cap and drafting talent.

I want all the dead wood out. Not sure whether or not that includes Overdorf and I don't think anyone outside the organization can be any surer than I am.

But yeah, the GM is more important.

I love how the bills have "one of the best" across the board... but just cant find success because if things like the ryans parachuting in from nowhere, and not being lucky enough to have a franchise (or competent) quarterback fall into their laps for 2 decades.

Up until now, whaley was "one of the best" talent evaluators. People would tell me he would have another gm gig immediately (same thing people said about darcy regier). Now it seems he has few fans left.

I listened to Pegula's press conference and came away thinking Overforf's tenure with the Bills is very much on shaky ground.

Pegula said something to the effect of "we will do everything we can to fight for Overdorf, but ultimately that decision will come down to the next GM".

Basically he gave himself an out, that if and when they release Overdorf it will be because the next GM made that decision, as he should.

Not having language in Dareus' contract that protected the team from future guarantees if he failed future drug tests was an offense worthy of firing.....and Iay that at the feet of Overdorf. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott Berchtold let go as well now that they have the new guy from Philly.

The only guy who might be left standing will be Russ. I think Russ is the only human on earth that will survive nuclear war.

Edited by Estro