Bills GM Candidates

wppete

I think the whole McD power thing is being way overblown. I'm sure he know Whaley was on his way out and if that's because he wanted it that way then I'm glad. Why would he give Whaley any final say in anything knowing he was going to be fired?

I'm assuming that McD and the new GM will work together and it's not going to be some dictatorship.

I was just thinking the same thing...

Everyone wants to assume that McD wants all the power because he wanted it with an GM that he (or someone) considered sub-par. If they bring a guy in that he really trusts and can really work with, perhaps we see the power balance out a bit.

Obviously remains to be seen, but the GM candidate names coming out don't necessarily seem like "yes men" to me.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have seen first time head coaches like Gase and Quinn get full control over their roster.

I can't get enough of the fans acting like mcdermott is the only one who wants control of the roster that makes up the team.

Furthermore, the same people who have been complaining about the status quo around here are the ones now nervous about how mcdermott came in and DRAINED THE SWAMP

We have seen first time head coaches like Gase and Quinn get full control over their roster.

I can't get enough of the fans acting like mcdermott is the only one who wants control of the roster that makes up the team.

Furthermore, the same people who have been complaining about the status quo around here are the ones now nervous about how mcdermott came in and DRAINED THE SWAMP

People keep saying that but do they really? It seems like even teams like the Chiefs where Andy Reid has more power the GM was hired there by the owners and not Andy. I think every team is different but the Bills will not have anyone but a yes man coming.

Its total control of the 53 man roster. Meaning Gase and quinn have final say over who makes the roster. The GM has say as to who he brings in, and constructs the the 90man.

Its total control of the 53 man roster. Meaning Gase and quinn have final say over who makes the roster. The GM has say as to who he brings in, and constructs the the 90man.

I doubt Gase is acting as dictator down there. Thanks for the response.

Sean wants the power of a Belichick.

yea and the problem is Belichick is the exception to the rule.

Coaches draft to fill immediate needs. GM's draft to create the best team using short, medium, and longer term horizons with the belief that the draft is to bring in elite talent and a patient belief in fixing weaknesses over time.

I want a GM drafting players, no more coach drafts.

Coaches draft to fill immediate needs. GM's draft to create the best team using short, medium, and longer term horizons with the belief that the draft is to bring in elite talent and a patient belief in fixing weaknesses over time.

Agreed, GM has a vision for Today and the future. Coach only cares about Today, and the guys that fit his skeme. GM wants football players, coach wants guys that fit. GM spend their life learning to scout and evaluate. Just like a coach spends his life drawing up plays, and coming up with the best skeme. The 2 should not be mixed/

Report: Brian Gaine interviewing for Bills G.M. job Thursday

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/03/report-brian-gaine-interviewing-for-bills-g-m-job-thursday/

"Gaine joined the Texans in 2014 after leaving the Dolphins when they hired Dennis Hickey as their General Manager. He’s interviewed for other G.M. openings in the last few years as well. He’s also worked for the Cowboys and the Jets."

Did not see this posted yet (could have been in more recent pages in this thread though) thought this thread would be good to put it in, if was posted previously all apologies

I don't understand why everyone is so caught up in "who has the power"? This article about the dynamic in Seattle, and I don't see any reason why it cant be successful in Bufflao as long as McDermott and (whoever) can strike the same kind of successful relationship. Schneider was hired after Carroll, and I'm certain Carroll was given the opportunity to voice his opinion on who the GM would be.

It's a good read. http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/18960/why-the-pete-carroll-john-schneider-relationship-has-served-the-seahawks-well

I don't understand why everyone is so caught up in "who has the power"? This article about the dynamic in Seattle, and I don't see any reason why it cant be successful in Bufflao as long as McDermott and (whoever) can strike the same kind of successful relationship. Schneider was hired after Carroll, and I'm certain Carroll was given the opportunity to voice his opinion on who the GM would be.

It's a good read. http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/18960/why-the-pete-carroll-john-schneider-relationship-has-served-the-seahawks-well

Well, Carroll is one of the best coaches and smartest guys in the league, and had TEN TONS of experience before getting the Seahawks job. So if McDermott is one of the best coaches in the league and knows personnel, too, with zero experience, then we'll be great!

Well, Carroll is one of the best coaches and smartest guys in the league, and had TEN TONS of experience before getting the Seahawks job. So if McDermott is one of the best coaches in the league and knows personnel, too, with zero experience, then we'll be great!

I think the bolded is hindsight, he was fired from NE and the Jets (IIRC on the Jets), a lot of people believed his success came at USC due to his recruiting which isn't an advantage in the pros, and he was 7-9 before they drafted Russell Wilson. Yes he did have experience though which I do not think should be undervalued and is a big advantage over McD

Edited by Bray Wyatt

Well, he said in the article that as a coach he initially didn't get involved much in player personnel or the draft until after he coached at USC where he had to become more intimate with player selection. He then brought that aspect back tot he pros. Yeah, he was an experienced coach, but he wasn't an experienced personnel guy.

I think its more about the symbiotic and respectful relationship of the GM and coach working together making decisions in unison based on a common philosophy is what's important. Not who has the power or final say.

Yes but its exception to the rule. When one guy reports to the other (i.e. coach to GM or GM to coach) then we know they will be going in ONE direction, provided the hiring one did a good job. But splitting power like this does 2 things - 1) intentionally create room for power struggle and conflict and 2) makes Pegulas the hands-on manager that he has obviously said multiple times he isn't interested in. This is why he was looking for a football "czar" to oversea the team operations earlier on in the first year or so. This way, he has one guy to talk to, not 2 when it comes to on-field performance, and be more of an over-seer versus being actively involved in managerial decision-making which, as a non-football guy, isn't qualified to. See Snyder as reference.

Edited by CanadianFan

Using your paradigm of McDermott as a power hungry, win-now coach with no vision for the future, explain trading back for a future 1st round pick.

Well, he said in the article that as a coach he initially didn't get involved much in player personnel or the draft until after he coached at USC where he had to become more intimate with player selection. He then brought that aspect back tot he pros. Yeah, he was an experienced coach, but he wasn't an experienced personnel guy.

I think its more about the symbiotic and respectful relationship of the GM and coach working together making decisions in unison based on a common philosophy is what's important. Not who has the power or final say.

The point is he had been in the NFL awhile, then got two different head coaching jobs in the NFL, then had a 10 year dominant college HC career with dozens of guys that went to the NFL, then was a NFL HC again. McD has never been a high school HC.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but this is (almost) the equivalent of Tom Brady was a sixth round choice! Why can't Peterman do it?! Well, he can, but there have been dozens and dozens of fifth and sixth and seventh round picks that have sucked, and one that did it who is one of the best all-time.

Yes but its exception to the rule. When one guy reports to the other (i.e. coach to GM or GM to coach) then we know they will be going in ONE direction, provided the hiring one did a good job. But splitting power like this does 2 things - 1) intentionally create room for power struggle and conflict and 2) makes Pegulas the hands-on manager that he has obviously said multiple times he isn't interested in. This is why he was looking for a football "czar" to oversea the team operations earlier on in the first year or so. This way, he has one guy to talk to, not 2 when it comes to on-field performance, and be more of an over-seer versus being actively involved in managerial decision-making which, as a non-football guy, isn't qualified to. See Snyder as reference.

Yep, and far more importantly, every minute he spends on the personnel side is one minute less he spends on the thing that got him this job, coaching. Not to mention that an NFL HC job has no apprenticeship. There is nothing you can do that can prepare you for it. It's like President of the country. There are all kinds of requirements of your time and energy that you never had to do before. It's just a lot of stuff. Yes, it's possible he can do it. I like him. I'm not sure he knows what he is getting into.

Is the whole scouting team fired? It was never really mentioned in the statement and the scouts before the draft was expected to be fired. If they are i could see this.

General Manager- Brandon Beane

Director of Player Personnel- Brett Veach

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-to-lead-search-for-new-general-manager/c0f17892-19c5-471d-9332-fd31347c63fb

At a Sunday press conference Pegula confirmed that in addition to Whaley the pro and college scouting departments were also relieved of their duties. That included Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos, Director of Pro Personnel Rob Hanrahan and Player Personnel Advisor Kelvin Fisher, who oversaw much of the college scouting operation.

Using your paradigm of McDermott as a power hungry, win-now coach with no vision for the future, explain trading back for a future 1st round pick.

He was comfortable moving down and setting himself up to make a big splash next year. Hes not getting fired after this year so why not stock up for the draft next year.... Its pretty simple this structure in an organization does not overwhemingly work

That's not necessarily true. Common direction can be shared between individuals where there doesn't need to be a "tie-breaker" one level above. Steelers employed this dynamic between Cowher and Colbert in Pittsburgh(even though Colbert wasn't technically GM at the time, but closest to one they had), and the way Pat Kirwan tells it, the Rooney's refused to intervene and insisted they work it out until they reach consensus. And while Cowher was great coach in his time, he wasn't tremendously experienced when he landed that gig.

The direct report approach can also lead to resentment and dissension just as easily as it can lead to success. The boss can be wrong.

He was comfortable moving down and setting himself up to make a big splash next year. Hes not getting fired after this year so why not stock up for the draft next year.... Its pretty simple this structure in an organization does not overwhemingly work

This is what is called talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You can't say that McDermott has no long term vision when the Bills just ran the most focused, disciplined, and strategic draft in forever. This organization was absolutely reckless and lacked any semblance of long term planning under Whaley and it dates much further back than Rex Ryan.

They are going to bring in a GM who sees eye to eye with the HC and who will work with him to build a team in a way that they can agree on. Do you think McDermott waited all this time to become a HC and choose the Bills job just to try to put some band aids on it to get this team into the playoffs early on? I don't. They are rebuilding, maybe not from sctratch, but they are absolutely rebuilding(as they should be).

Beane interviewed in SF earlier this year and is in line for the Carolina job soon when Gettleman retires. He's not coming here to be McDermott's errand boy. He would be coming here to be a part of management team, much like all successful organizations have.

Now I'm not saying that this is a full proof plan for success. It could easily go the way of Mike Nolan in SF(he was GM of the 49ers while he was a first time coach) or McDaniels/Xanders in Denver. But IMO this is better than going out and finding a young GM and asking him to run everything autonomously. BTW, those situations haved failed famously also(Pioli in KC, Savage in CLE).

Around The NFL Retweeted

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Lesean McCoy

Veach was with the Eagles when McCoy was drafted.

Mike Garafolo added,

Lesean McCoyVerified account @CutonDime25

Brett Veach is our man Brett Veach is our guy ...!!!!!!!

0 replies2 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Around The NFL Retweeted

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Lesean McCoy

Veach was with the Eagles when McCoy was drafted.

Mike Garafolo added,

Lesean McCoyVerified account @CutonDime25
Brett Veach is our man Brett Veach is our guy ...!!!!!!!
0 replies2 retweets2 likes
Retweet

We know who Shady favors as GM.

I said before the draft if we were going to just fill needs we should trade back from ten as players in the 20s similar to what was at ten.

McDermott was taking Lattimore at ten. He gets teams calling for Mahomes and figures he can get a similar player and an extra pick to fill needs next year.

Trades back and takes...a corner.

Then gives away picks to get a possession WR and RT to check off more needs.

Everything I said about McDermott happened. It fits together perfectly. Even the QB drafted was a coach pick.

Hiring Brandon Beane is the most logical choice, a GM who understands the coaches vision and who to target!

I wonder if he's leaning heavily one way (or even decided in his own mind), or if he's checking off the boxes for the owner (and to some lesser degree himself) and just.....going through the process.

I wonder if he's leaning heavily one way (or even decided in his own mind), or if he's checking off the boxes for the owner (and to some lesser degree himself) and just.....going through the process.

The process is the process, trust the process and process the process.

Guest NeckBeard

I said before the draft if we were going to just fill needs we should trade back from ten as players in the 20s similar to what was at ten.

McDermott was taking Lattimore at ten. He gets teams calling for Mahomes and figures he can get a similar player and an extra pick to fill needs next year.

Trades back and takes...a corner.

Then gives away picks to get a possession WR and RT to check off more needs.

Everything I said about McDermott happened. It fits together perfectly. Even the QB drafted was a coach pick.

You know, I have rolled my eyes at you many times, but I think that you have the right idea of where things stand with regards to this draft, in particular given how the org structure looks currently. While the draft made sense to me, and I dig that the Bills have another first rounder next year, one wonders what will happen when an unproven HC is suddenly the dominant voice in the product that they field. I like the McD hire, but am shocked at how fast he's ascended.