GM Doug Whaley has been fired

He had the Pegulas at "hello." He impressed them so much, that as Kim drove McDermott to the airport after the next day's six-hour session, she was already telling him to have his wife (who had been invited to Boca Raton as well, but couldn't make the trip) call her for information about housing and other essentials in Western New York.

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

In what could only be perceived as an effort to preserve Whaley's dignity and help his chances of getting another job, Pegula tried shooting down any notion that McDermott was in charge of the draft, noting it was Whaley who "put the whole thing together." Technically, yes, the assembling of names and grades was done by Whaley and his staff, because that happened through the NFL season while McDermott was serving as defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers.

Once McDermott arrived in Buffalo, however, he combed through the data while doing his own intensive study of video and additional research. He shaped the Bills' draft plan, with a need-based approach and the pursuit of additional picks for this year and in 2018 and starkly different than the way Whaley had done things in previous drafts. That was why there was zero point in having Whaley offer any public thoughts about a draft that ultimately belonged to the coach. http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

Indeed. I think Sean hypnotized the owners who didn't think of the implications. It certainly does appear we are back to Dick Jauron wanting Maybin to bolster the pass rush decision making in the draft room.

I don't buy that Whaley was kept to make him look good. They kept him around to assist McDermott in the operations but Whaley's advice would be ignored as Sean did not want to collaborate or listen to people already there.

Edited by jeffismagic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking up an additional 1st round pick for next year isn't lacking long term vision, it's trusting your own evaluations enough to go with the long term play. Don't confuse this forum's player evaluations with the Bills'. All indications were that our pick at 10 was going to be Lattimore, not Mahomes.

If Whaley was making the selections it would have been Mahomes. He wasn't making the selections.

How we assess the trade down boils down to whether Mahomes turns out to be the player that Andy Reid thinks he will be. I say this for any deal involving a potential franchise qb: if the qb dealt for turns out to be a good qb then the deal was a good deal for the acquiring team and a lesser deal for the other team. It will take a few years before a fair assessment can be made.

There were 3 went in the first round this year. 2 of whom were there at our pick.

Yep.

This bashing over the 2017 QB class while salivating over 2018 is absurd. If the 2018 class has 3 QB's go in the top 12, that's probably the best we could hope for.

Yep.

This bashing over the 2017 QB class while salivating over 2018 is absurd. If the 2018 class has 3 QB's go in the top 12, that's probably the best we could hope for.

Thank you. Totally agree.

The important thing to take from Vic's column is that McDermott was on the list of recommended HC candidates put forth by a consortium of guys like Polian and Dungy. So for those who keep trying to insist that the Pegulas just hired him on a whim, or even worse that somehow it was Russ that controlled this thing, pleased put a lid on it.

I have already read a post on this forum today suggesting Darnold, Rosen and Allen go 1, 2, 3 in 2018. No chance is my response.

When one chases perfection one is usually chasing an illusion. Andy Reid, a HC who has a history of astutely evaluating qbs, targeted a qb whom our former acting GM coveted and our new HC with a defensive background didn't. Was it another lost opportunity among many for the Bills? Only time will tell. But taking a qb such as Peterman in the fifth round and extolling his abilities is something that the Bills have been doing for so long i.e. taking a more cautious approach and settling for the lesser talent instead of taking a risk on a bigger talent. Jauron/Levy would be so proud!

People act like it's unprecedented for a new CEO type to come in the building and end the status quo. If there's a new leader in town it's typically because the previous one wasn't successful and changes needed to be made.

McD did what any decent CEO would do upon taking over a sinking ship. He pushed for changes and control to reverse the continued slide into oblivion. And that meant axing an underwhelming GM and his staff. It's not all Whaley's fault, but he was more of a problem than a solution.

He's the one standing up and making the changes, knowing full well that he'll take the arrows if things don't work. This is a tremendous change after years of people pointing at others when there was continued failure.

People act like it's unprecedented for a new CEO type to come in the building and end the status quo. If there's a new leader in town it's typically because the previous one wasn't successful and changes needed to be made.

McD did what any decent CEO would do upon taking over a sinking ship. He pushed for changes and control to reverse the continued slide into oblivion. And that meant axing an underwhelming GM and his staff. It's not all Whaley's fault, but he was more of a problem than a solution.

He's the one standing up and making the changes, knowing full well that he'll take the arrows if things don't work. This is a tremendous change after years of people pointing at others when there was continued failure.

So the Bills have tasked the responsibility for reshaping an entire NFL front office & scouts to a guy with no front office experience? That sounds like a sound plan.

If Whaley was making the selections it would have been Mahomes. He wasn't making the selections.

How we assess the trade down boils down to whether Mahomes turns out to be the player that Andy Reid thinks he will be. I say this for any deal involving a potential franchise qb: if the qb dealt for turns out to be a good qb then the deal was a good deal for the acquiring team and a lesser deal for the other team. It will take a few years before a fair assessment can be made.

Never saw anything indicating DW liked Mahomes. Seemed that he liked Kizer. That sounds more like a Whaley pick. I didn't have any faith in DW and QBs anyway, given his track record.

So the Bills have tasked the responsibility for reshaping an entire NFL front office & scouts to a guy with no front office experience? That sounds like a sound plan.

DW was already on his way out, just happened to be the busiest time of year for the FO. The reshaping willl have a lot to do with the GM that is hired, I'd bet. A HC isn't going to be tasked with that.

Never saw anything indicating DW liked Mahomes. Seemed that he liked Kizer. That sounds more like a Whaley pick. I didn't have any faith in DW and QBs anyway, given his track record.

DW was already on his way out, just happened to be the busiest time of year for the FO. The reshaping willl have a lot to do with the GM that is hired, I'd bet. A HC isn't going to be tasked with that.

The GM will not be a real GM. That is McDermott now.

Face it, Terry is a fan, he even admits it, and acts like one. He got inFATuated with Rex and giddily hired him. That wore off quick. So he held more interviews and got infatuated with the anti-Rex, Mickey Rat, who was a no nonsense, detail oriented discipline guy. So infatuated that he actually fired the Sabres general manager because he wanted his hockey team run by a guy like McDermott. Let's see if it works or this summer romance wears off quick, too.

Check McD's resume. Besides, how many years did Belichick or Carroll or Andy Reid work in a front office before becoming coaches?

He's been in the league since the late 90s and I'd like to think he's learned what he needs to do to be successful. He's worked for coaches that understand the alignment necessary between personnel and the coaching staff.

Infatuation always wears off. As a writer, I know I can't rely on inspiration alone. It's too fickle.

I think we are going to regret passing on Mahomes. We will need considerable fortune to end up with one of the top 2018 qbs.

Those who think we can turn both 2018 firsts plus into a sure top two or three pick are blithely over-confident.

We could easily be shut out; meanwhile, Mahomes could have been learning while the bridge qb continues to lack anticipation and the rookie shows anticipation but a pop gun arm, and the holdover project has a cannon and probably not much else.

Infatuation always wears off. As a writer, I know I can't rely on inspiration alone. It's too fickle.

I think we are going to regret passing on Mahomes. We will need considerable fortune to end up with one of the top 2018 qbs.

Those who think we can turn both 2018 firsts plus into a sure top two or three pick are blithely over-confident.

We could easily be shut out; meanwhile, Mahomes could have been learning while the bridge qb continues to lack anticipation and the rookie shows anticipation but a pop gun arm, and the holdover project has a cannon and probably not much else.

We could always throw in the 2019 first rounder. A team would be crazy to turn down 3 number 1 picks for a trade up to the number 1 spot.

We could always throw in the 2019 first rounder. A team would be crazy to turn down 3 number 1 picks for a trade up to the number 1 spot.

Yes, that is the thought I keep hearing. Cleveland has two firsts and three seconds next year. If the team with the top picks is the Jets or SF, they will likely prefer the franchise qb. They simply won't trade out. Lots of moving parts. My point is the notion that we can just throw on another first and presto is way too optimistic. Meanwhile, Mahomes was available at #10 and we could have let him sit for a development year and not had to worry about obtaining a franchise qb.