GM Doug Whaley has been fired

@theMMQB

In Buffalo, a Broken Organization. 3 years into Pegulas' reign, they've yet to start building a team. @AlbertBreer

https://t.co/cqd7eprEtj

And over the weeks leading into the draft, McDermott’s growing influence became obvious to all inside the building. The new coach was empowered to pull prospects off the board who didn’t fit the character parameters he was looking for. With a GM left in limbo, it was increasingly the coach’s show. And while McDermott wasn’t running the draft, nothing was happening without his O.K.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people posting have never owned a business, one that does seven figures a year plus, AND call me crazy but probably not one worth north of a Billion. Owners can do what they want and good ones know how to play high stakes poker. Pegs played it the only smart way. He has known for awhile Doug was out, he just wasn't going to tell you or anyone else because then his cards are on display.

Whaley could have done some real damage if canned before the draft. Pegs wasn't going to let that happen. It has been obvious since the Rex firing, Doug was out of the loop.

As I have said all along I want the chef buying the groceries and the running the show, apparently Pegs does too. In today's NFL a lot of teams (winning teams at that) are going in this direction. Pegs is an analyst by nature and he sees what works.

McD seems like a guy that Pegs understands. Someone who is all about process and method, not emotion and flash. McD will have a competive team this Year and surprise some folks. Playoffs might be a stretch given the tough sledding in December but by year 3 watch out. Brady will be done and The Bills will be a solid young team ready to contend Year in and Year out.

Mixed feelings. Clearly Doug was on the hot seat. And I can understand the logic of making the move now since it allowed the draft to be completed. But I now find it difficult if not impossible to trust the words of the HC and owners since up till today all the language was how they worked together well etc.

The Pegulas match my personality. I am the type who is very patient, but when I reach my limit that's that. They reached their limit with both teams and bam- decisions are made. But if I'm a candidate for any of the openings, my question would have to be How do I trust your word based on the endorsements given to folks who are then canned shortly thereafter? They will get good people for the openings. They are willing to put financial and other resources behind whomever they hire. And willing to give some time for results. But I'd have some hard questions.

As for the never ending Russ posts, if you wind up attending the amateur hockey tournaments, frozen four, March Madness, etc and enjoy them, you can thank Russ for some of that.

Damn...the Bills War Room had to be on pins and needles for the last couple of weeks.

And over the weeks leading into the draft, McDermott’s growing influence became obvious to all inside the building. The new coach was empowered to pull prospects off the board who didn’t fit the character parameters he was looking for. With a GM left in limbo, it was increasingly the coach’s show. And while McDermott wasn’t running the draft, nothing was happening without his O.K.

Edited by LabattBlue

"Blown picks of EJ Manuel and over-paying to trade up for oft-injured Sammy Watkinsand botching the contract with Tyrod Taylor and throwing ridiculous money at mercurial Marcell Dareus kept the front office in a perilous plight, and the longer McDermott had to contemplate this roster and assess the contractual mishaps and salary-cap issues, the clearer it became he wouldn't be working with Whaley for long.

"Losing top corner Stephon Gilmore in free agency, to the hated Patriots, no less, did not set well with the new head coach, but he inherited too many other bad contracts to truly compete. The Taylor affair was unnecessarily difficult, given the bizarre structure agreed to a year ago (before the new coach arrived) and the heavy-handed tactics the front office took with Taylor late last season. Then, for the second year in a row, the Bills put too low a free-agent tender on an emerging skill player, and for the second straight year the Pats plucked him away, with Mike Gillislee joining Chris Hogan as part of the New England dynasty. Time was getting short for Whaley."....NFL CBS

Edited by JM2009

Good for the Bills. I love how the PR department really doesn't have to do so much work. The Pegula's are making it easy on their employees. All they do is send the same statement every time, change the position, names, and switch Bills or Sabres. Good business model, saves them from paying the PR department guys to much for making new statements.

This was a good move but the never ending story of rebuilding is getting exhausting in both the "Hockey" and "Football" operations. It was good for Pegula to buy the Bills to keep them in Buffalo, however he is not a very good owner of sports teams. Hopefully McD will make it three years.

Mixed feelings. Clearly Doug was on the hot seat. And I can understand the logic of making the move now since it allowed the draft to be completed. But I now find it difficult if not impossible to trust the words of the HC and owners since up till today all the language was how they worked together well etc.

The Pegulas match my personality. I am the type who is very patient, but when I reach my limit that's that. They reached their limit with both teams and bam- decisions are made. But if I'm a candidate for any of the openings, my question would have to be How do I trust your word based on the endorsements given to folks who are then canned shortly thereafter? They will get good people for the openings. They are willing to put financial and other resources behind whomever they hire. And willing to give some time for results. But I'd have some hard questions.

As for the never ending Russ posts, if you wind up attending the amateur hockey tournaments, frozen four, March Madness, etc and enjoy them, you can thank Russ for some of that.

This was long overdue, and reports are that Overdorf could be gone soon also.

Good for the Bills. I love how the PR department really doesn't have to do so much work. The Pegula's are making it easy on their employees. All they do is send the same statement every time, change the position, names, and switch Bills or Sabres. Good business model, saves them from paying the PR department guys to much for making new statements.

This was a good move but the never ending story of rebuilding is getting exhausting in both the "Hockey" and "Football" operations. It was good for Pegula to buy the Bills to keep them in Buffalo, however he is not a very good owner of sports teams. Hopefully McD will make it three years.

The housecleaning should have happened when Pegulas bought the team. Long overdue.

"Blown picks of EJ Manuel and over-paying to trade up for oft-injured Sammy Watkinsand botching the contract with Tyrod Taylor and throwing ridiculous money at mercurial Marcell Dareus kept the front office in a perilous plight, and the longer McDermott had to contemplate this roster and assess the contractual mishaps and salary-cap issues, the clearer it became he wouldn't be working with Whaley for long.

"Losing top corner Stephon Gilmore in free agency, to the hated Patriots, no less, did not set well with the new head coach, but he inherited too many other bad contracts to truly compete. The Taylor affair was unnecessarily difficult, given the bizarre structure agreed to a year ago (before the new coach arrived) and the heavy-handed tactics the front office took with Taylor late last season. Then, for the second year in a row, the Bills put too low a free-agent tender on an emerging skill player, and for the second straight year the Pats plucked him away, with Mike Gillislee joining Chris Hogan as part of the New England dynasty. Time was getting short for Whaley."....NFL CBS

Pretty accurate and straightforward. I would add the constant reports of rift between him and the hcs, along with Fred Jackson report that Whaley was dishonest with him.

This was long overdue, and reports are that Overdorf could be gone soon also.

The housecleaning should have happened when Pegulas bought the team. Long overdue.

Totally agree. On both operations. Brandon is the last piece to get the boot to completely change the culture of Buffalo Hockey and Football.

Pretty accurate and straightforward. I would add the constant reports of rift between him and the hcs, along with Fred Jackson report that Whaley was dishonest with him.

I cannot respect a GM that said EJ had the "it" factor and wanted Tyrod Taylor of the team. Inept at QB evaluation.

I will say one thing for Terry Pegula: he does have a learning curve.

At least this time he scheduled a press conference and took questions saying it was his decision to fire Doug instead of sending Coach McWrestler out by himself to face the press and say it wasn't his decision to fire Doug.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/30/said-transcript-terry-pegulas-comments-firing-bills-gm-doug-whaley/

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people posting have never owned a business, one that does seven figures a year plus, AND call me crazy but probably not one worth north of a Billion. Owners can do what they want and good ones know how to play high stakes poker. Pegs played it the only smart way. He has known for awhile Doug was out, he just wasn't going to tell you or anyone else because then his cards are on display.

Whaley could have done some real damage if canned before the draft. Pegs wasn't going to let that happen. It has been obvious since the Rex firing, Doug was out of the loop.

As I have said all along I want the chef buying the groceries and the running the show, apparently Pegs does too. In today's NFL a lot of teams (winning teams at that) are going in this direction. Pegs is an analyst by nature and he sees what works.

McD seems like a guy that Pegs understands. Someone who is all about process and method, not emotion and flash. McD will have a competive team this Year and surprise some folks. Playoffs might be a stretch given the tough sledding in December but by year 3 watch out. Brady will be done and The Bills will be a solid young team ready to contend Year in and Year out.

Agreed except I expect to have a poor record this year, to which there are a bunch of QBs we can land next year.