Which one of the 8 picks AFTER Dion Dawkins...

Their strategy seems to be move back and collect picks so you can move up in later rounds. I'll say this...at least they HAVE a strategy. I'm not into moving up. If anything move back and keep yourself in a position of power with extra picks every year so if you do have a chance to get an absolute game changer (QB, generational type player) you are ready to pounce

The only trade-up that makes sense is for a QB. early to mid-round draft picks are gold. You don't give them up for adjustments in your position to get non-QBs.

That is why next year we will still be filling holes in the draft - DT, G, C, TE, OLB. These will all be needs next year and we have little to no current roster depth to fill them

The trade up for Dawkins at least you can say they read the draft right there was a run on offensive lineman right after and they'd have missed out had they stood pat.

Yes - it's always good draft metagame when you START a run.

And how was the trade-up for Zay Jones bad? They NEEDED a WR even before Woods left.

The top three were shockingly gone before 10.

Zay was the next WR out there. If they don't get him we're back to being 1 Watkins injury (not an unusual thing) away from Andre Holmes being the #1.

Edited by BobChalmers

I dont mind the trade up to get Zay Jones. I didnt care for the rest of the WR left after him. However I do hate that we lost 2 extra picks for our trade up to get Dion Dawkin. We have so many needs. I would have rather stayed at 75 and took Duke Riley who the Falcons pick with our pick.

The trade up for Dawkins at least you can say they read the draft right there was a run on offensive lineman right after and they'd have missed out had they stood pat.

Yup.

The strategy this year was interesting. They clearly were targeting specific players, to fill specific needs, and if your'e doing that it makes a ton of sense to jump around. And they seem to have done a good job of anticipating exactly where those players needed to be picked. Landing the three guys they wanted - who clearly they anticipate will be Day 1 starters - plus an extra 2018 #1, can hardly be considered a failure.

That all said, this was widely considered a deep draft, with starter-quality players being pushed down into the later rounds. And the Bills have a lot of holes. If McD truly "trusted the process," wouldn't he rather accumulate 3rd, 4th and 5th round draft picks and rely on the scouting department to find quality roster depth? But the sense I'm getting is that they don't trust their own scouts. I'm really starting to wonder how much the scouts were involved in this draft - it seems like this was a coaching staff-driven draft (i.e., Zay was known to the WRs coach; Dawkins was high on Carolina's board); White and Jones are both "McDermott-type players"). They really may be about to clean house.

The only trade-up that makes sense is for a QB. early to mid-round draft picks are gold. You don't give them up for adjustments in your position to get non-QBs.

That is why next year we will still be filling holes in the draft - DT, G, C, TE, OLB. These will all be needs next year and we have little to no current roster depth to fill them

Why do people insist on exaggerating?

How is DT a hole? Are you assuming KW is done after this year? Adolphus Washington is now a DT in the new scheme, so anyone they're looking for is DT#4.

They added Ducasse, Dawkins is an OG if he's not ORT, so...?

Agree the C situation behind Woods is a little scary but they kept Groy who did fine in there and added Lewis who's played - regardless we're talking about depth players - how is that a "hole"?

TE behind Clay, sure, if the light doesn't come on for O'Leary.

OLB still an issue they will probably attack in FA the next go around.

... But the sense I'm getting is that they don't trust their own scouts. I'm really starting to wonder how much the scouts were involved in this draft - it seems like this was a coaching staff-driven draft (i.e., Zay was known to the WRs coach; Dawkins was high on Carolina's board); White and Jones are both "McDermott-type players"). They really may be about to clean house.

mcD probably knows their scouting rankings, at least from last year

That's a really good observation. McDermott probably had a good sense of at least the top part of the Panthers' board, and knew where he couldn't wait past them.

Yeah - It could well point to the rumored cleaning house on the scouting department.

Edited by BobChalmers

this draft is all about them filling large holes with the best player they can find.

the gift the chief gave them allowed them to move into position to fill needs before they felt like a big decline in talent was coming

all three of these players will be day one starters. Imo will play at no worse then a league average level as rookie.

Not getting a wlb is an issue but they have three picks left and udfa. Plus they can revisit the free agent pool.

I love what they did. would not be surprised to see them throw a future pick and a 5 and 6 to move up and grab another player if they see one that can come in and start.

oh and they still have 2 first. it was a job well done

guard, c and dt are not holes. Groy can come in and fill in at a high level. They drafted Washington last year. They will have a ton of cap money next year to buy whatever solid vet they want to fill and actual holes.

Gotta be honest, after Day 1 was LOVING what we did. Not loving all the trading up on Day 2. Just believe that especially when you start getting into round two and three, the more picks the better because each pick is such of a crapshoot.

But then again I don't know anything about any of these guys they picked so just gut feeling on this. Who knows right?

this draft is all about them filling large holes with the best player they can find.

the gift the chief gave them allowed them to move into position to fill needs before they felt like a big decline in talent was coming

all three of these players will be day one starters. Imo will play at no worse then a league average level as rookie.

Not getting a wlb is an issue but they have three picks left and udfa. Plus they can revisit the free agent pool.

I love what they did. would not be surprised to see them throw a future pick and a 5 and 6 to move up and grab another player if they see one that can come in and start.

oh and they still have 2 first. it was a job well done

BRBF, well said.

I've mentioned previously that I want 3 starters in the first 4 picks.

They did it in the first three. Some of you may have wanted different players (as I did), but I a cannot find fault in what they have down so far.

Yup.

The strategy this year was interesting. They clearly were targeting specific players, to fill specific needs, and if your'e doing that it makes a ton of sense to jump around. And they seem to have done a good job of anticipating exactly where those players needed to be picked. Landing the three guys they wanted - who clearly they anticipate will be Day 1 starters - plus an extra 2018 #1, can hardly be considered a failure.

That all said, this was widely considered a deep draft, with starter-quality players being pushed down into the later rounds. And the Bills have a lot of holes. If McD truly "trusted the process," wouldn't he rather accumulate 3rd, 4th and 5th round draft picks and rely on the scouting department to find quality roster depth? But the sense I'm getting is that they don't trust their own scouts. I'm really starting to wonder how much the scouts were involved in this draft - it seems like this was a coaching staff-driven draft (i.e., Zay was known to the WRs coach; Dawkins was high on Carolina's board); White and Jones are both "McDermott-type players"). They really may be about to clean house.

I think so. Read some of the stuff coming out of obd right now media-wise. The articles constantly harking on" mcDermott's decision", or how "he felt" or "his plan". It's clear they are putting distance between these decisions and Whaley. Seemed odd to me how many times they hammer home that it's all up to Sean. I would bet it's tomorrow morning or monday.

Trade ups are always risky. You are clearly targeting a guy you really are high on. If he ends up being a good player, you look like a genius. If he flops, you look like a fool for two reasons, your scouting of him was wrong AND you gave up extra pick(s) to get said player.

Why do people insist on exaggerating?

How is DT a hole? Are you assuming KW is done after this year? Adolphus Washington is now a DT in the new scheme, so anyone they're looking for is DT#4.

They added Ducasse, Dawkins is an OG if he's not ORT, so...?

Agree the C situation behind Woods is a little scary but they kept Groy who did fine in there and added Lewis who's played - regardless we're talking about depth players - how is that a "hole"?

TE behind Clay, sure, if the light doesn't come on for O'Leary.

OLB still an issue they will probably attack in FA the next go around.

That's a really good observation. McDermott probably had a good sense of at least the top part of the Panthers' board, and knew where he couldn't wait past them.

Yeah - It could well point to the rumored cleaning house on the scouting department.

Sounds like you ended up convincing yourself that you agree with me.

The light could come on for a few players like Washington and O'Leary, but a smart team would hedge and add depth now. You know how you do that? extra draft picks. After starting with 6, we had 8 than ended up back with 6. oh well, it looked good for a bit there

Their strategy seems to be move back and collect picks so you can move up in later rounds. I'll say this...at least they HAVE a strategy. I'm not into moving up. If anything move back and keep yourself in a position of power with extra picks every year so if you do have a chance to get an absolute game changer (QB, generational type player) you are ready to pounce

I agree but there is a YUGE difference between trading up in the first round at the cost of 1st and 2nd round picks and trading up on day two at the cost of a day 3 pick. People are acting like the fifth round is full of future All Pros.

The difference between a fifth rounder and an UDFA in camp is a small price for getting the guys they wanted IMO.

As far as pouncing on a QB next year, they are in position to package three 2018-19 #1 picks to do that.