Who is going to play WLB for this defense?

To this point, I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with the offseason. If the 3 guys we have drafted already can come in and give us something...we may only have 1 true "hole" left. The WLB is a very important part of the modern defense. Considering that our base set will most likely be a big, versatile nickle. My guess is we won't have Brown and Ragland as the only 2 LBs on the field. Both guys are probably to slow and certainly having both on the field would cause all sorts of coverage issues. Does the current staff view one of these guys as the Will? Or are they going to actually start Humber? My thoughts all along were that we would play Ragland at MLB, Lorenzo at SLB and draft a kid to play WLB. At this stage of the draft, finding a starter would be unexpected. Is is possible that Humber or Preston Brown can be our WLB for opening day? If that's the case, I am a little concerned about backs sliping out of the backfield and shallow drag routes killing us. I have enjoyed the offseason to this point. I just personally wish we made Zach Brown more of a priority and may have had to sacrifice The Lorax to do so. Maybe I would have been a little quicker to take a LB and lived with our OT situation. Maybe I'm missing something more obvious with the position or maybe these coaches hold Preston Browns athleticism in a slightly higher regard then I do?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We will run more 5 DB sets then 3 lb sets

LB is not as important as everyone thinks

Who plays next to Ragland in nickel sets? It IS important. Don't fool yourself.

I hope we draft Jayon Brown with our first pick this rd. He needs some time to fill out and get stronger but he has the coverage ability. Just needs to fill out to be able avoid getting wrecked in the run game. Our WILL LB spot is currently our weakest position. By FAR imo. I don't see many draft prospects available that can step in next year and have a positive impact as a starting WILL. Maybe we can pickup a FA. If not, draft Brown and throw him to the wolves and get him acclimated while dealing with his growing pains.

We will run more 5 DB sets then 3 lb sets

LB is not as important as everyone thinks

I understand that. That's why I said our base defense will be a nickle. As in 5 DBS. The issue is that leaves 2 LBs on the field and one of them has to be able to run and cover. Out of Brown, Ragland and Alexander...none of them can run IMO. That's the issue.

Jayon Brown

Elijah Lee

Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Anthony Walker are still available

Those are the answers. Nothing else in this draft is a possibility imo. One of those 4 guys or a free agent. If it's Preston Brown, I'll be sad

As much as I hated Duke Williams as a Safety, I always thought he should be locked in a weight room or a buffet until he put on 25 LBs and became a new aged MLB. He was real aggressive and was fast. Wasn't afraid to hit and could cover well for a LB standards. He was a terrible Dback but I always wanted to see the Bills try and convert him into a small fast LB like the cardinals use.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

Gerald Hodges is still a free agent. The way it's going, I'd give the guy a call. Even if it's only a Zach-like one-year deal.

or him. He played pretty well for the. Knees last year. I forgot he was still available. Get on the horn Doug

As much as I hated Duke Williams as a Safety, I always thought he should be locked in a weight room or a buffet until he put on 25 LBs and became a new aged MLB. He was real aggressive and was fast. Wasn't afraid to hit and could cover well for a LB standards. He was a terrible Dback but I always wanted to see the Bills try and convert him into a small fast LB like the cardinals use.

. Me too. Really sad that he turned out to be such a detriment to our D Edited by NewEra