Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so tp will pay all that cash to coaches and gms but not to a talented player

It really isn't TP's call, he's not going to jump in and start roster building. If you can read between the lines (he just fired almost everyone associated with that trade), I think you'll realize the decision was made a while ago. Bottom line is that Sammy has to stay on the field or it's Bye Felicia.

so tp will pay all that cash to coaches and gms but not to a talented player

No salary cap on coaches, GMs and other FO people. I'd pick up the option on Sammy, but I don't know what his foot really looks like from a medical standpoint. Maybe that's the issue.

Edited to add: The option immediately guarantees for injury and fully guarantees in March.

Edited by BarleyNY

Would be shocked if they picked it up due to the injury history and current foot situation. I do think they will back up the money truck on an extension or tag him if the foot fully heals and he plays the majority of the year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

the smart thing to do is NOT pick it up. Sammy can't stay on the field. If he can't put in a full season this year, I franchise and trade in the offseason. We will have the cap to do it and some team will always think they can rehab a player, it always happens.

The injury guarante that comes with the fifth year option I see being scary for buffalo. Especially consider it would cost roughly 13 million.

I wanted Watkins to succeed, but fact is, the new regime here didn't draft Sammy and aren't responsible for the picks used to acquire him.

If the powers that be feel they can allocate that money to a healthier player down the line and construct the roster accordingly... so be it.

That being said, absolutely nothing wrong with working on a deal with the kid if he does remain healthy and finally lives up to potential.

I believe I have a good grasp on McDermott's way of thinking. He will not pick up Sammy's option.

He's essentially going to make Watkins "earn it".

Can't say I disagree with the decision.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Would be shocked if they picked it up due to the injury history and current foot situation. I do think they will back up the money truck on an extension or tag him if the foot fully heals and he plays the majority of the year.

I think this is an optimistic assessment. You may prove to be right, but I've read so many predictions about the Bills doing what many thought sensible - keeping Whaley on, matching Gillislee, etc. etc. -- that I don't have faith that this is anything other than what it suggests: he's not in their plans. I hope I'm wrong. The foot might be worse than we know about, of course.

If Sammy wanted to stay here he would not be playing basketball on a foot that had it's second surgery. I lost respect for him there.

So the guy isn't allowed to have a life outside of football?

This arguement is weak about what players do in their down time.

If anything I would take it as a sign that his foot is far better off than we have thought.

If Sammy wanted to stay here he would not be playing basketball on a foot that had it's second surgery. I lost respect for him there.

Why would any talented star WR want to stay in Buffalo? If I were Sammy I would be marking the days till my contract here ended.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned, what is Watkins Impression of the Bills organization? He was close to Ryan, Ryan is balls deep with Clemson, as Shady says Ryan probably wishes that were his son. How much has big mouth Rex said to Watkins during this past year? If he sides with Rexy I'm sure some ill feelings are in place.

That might be a little drawn out but it's human nature. Ryan treated him like a king. Practice when you want play if you can! Ohh that Sammy..can just hear Rex's voice always standing by him.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned, what is Watkins Impression of the Bills organization? He was close to Ryan, Ryan is balls deep with Clemson, as Shady says Ryan probably wishes that were his son. How much has big mouth Rex said to Watkins during this past year? If he sides with Rexy I'm sure some ill feelings are in place.

That might be a little drawn out but it's human nature. Ryan treated him like a king. Practice when you want play if you can! Ohh that Sammy..can just hear Rex's voice always standing by him.

Sammy also loved the WR coach of Rex, Sanjay Lal. I wish the Bills had retained Lal and not Danny Crossman.

Sammy also loved the WR coach of Rex, Sanjay Lal. I wish the Bills had retained Lal and not Danny Crossman.

I think doing things to appease players ended the day McD showed up. I'm happy about that, but I think Watkins in Buffalo may be short lived now.

i won't name the poster since there is a reason it was PMd but at the end of last season I was told that he knew someone in the Clemson program who had talked to Shaq and Sammy. Both were unhappy with management and said Whaley used to play on his phone in important meetings signalling he didn't take things seriously.Then there was Sammy telling the media Rex's staff Didnt holding the team accountable, etc. I take those things to mean he welcomes a change. The response is TBD. Edited by YoloinOhio