Bills trade #10 for #27, a 3rd, and 2018 1st

We have no idea yet what next year's QB class will look like. Guys can easily stay in school or have down years. It can easily turn into a very mediocre class of QBs. Then next year people will be saying to wait until 2019 to draft a guy.

We'd really regret having two first rounders then! Can you imagine the horror?

http://www.footballperspective.com/analyzing-the-trades-in-the-first-round-of-the-2017-draft/

2)

Bills trade: 10th overall

Chiefs trade: 27th overall, 91st overall, 2018 1st

The Chiefs moved up 17 spots to draft Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs could use a quarterback of the future, of course after all, its now been 30 years since Kansas City won a game with a quarterback drafted by the team. But if you value that 2018 1st round as equal to say, the 24th overall selection, that means the Bills received a whopping 170 cents on the dollar on the FP draft value chart. Even on the traditional chart, its still a great trade: Buffalo gets 120 cents on the dollar. And the Chiefs 2018 1st round pick could obviously be better than 24, too.

This was a great trade for the Bills, who were on the opposite end of this sort of move 13 years ago. In 2004, Buffalo traded 43, 144, and a 2005 1st to move up from 43 to 22 to draft J.P. Losman. Now, the Bills move down 17 spots and grab a future first and a third. As for Kansas City? The only way this works, of course, is if Mahomes becomes a star. The Chiefs are using two firsts and a third on him, which means he needs to be more than just average.

Edited by MAJBobby

Here's another way: the Chiefs, who have a far better record than the Bills over the last decade, were willing to spend four picks to ensure themselves a succession plan at the most important position. The Chiefs now have an established, experienced starter and a high-ceiling prospect to groom at the QB position. The Bills have a low-upside starter, TJ Yates, and Cardale Jones. But hey, at least we beat them in trade value points.

Premature speculation before the Bills finish the 2017 & 2018 drafts?

We'd really regret having two first rounders then! Can you imagine the horror?

That's not what I'm saying. Obviously having an extra 1st is good for us. The issue was always going to come down to whether any of these we had a chance to take end up being really good. And we can't just assume next year's QB class is going to be great and we're going to trade up for one of the great prospects. Seems silly to assume such a thing.

Here's another way: the Chiefs, who have a far better record than the Bills over the last decade, were willing to spend four picks to ensure themselves a succession plan at the most important position. The Chiefs now have an established, experienced starter and a high-ceiling prospect to groom at the QB position. The Bills have a low-upside starter, TJ Yates, and Cardale Jones. But hey, at least we beat them in trade value points.

The Bills have a high character starting CB, an extra pick in the top 100, and another 1st round pick in next year's draft, the one with better QBs.

The Chiefs got a project.

That's not what I'm saying. Obviously having an extra 1st is good for us. The issue was always going to come down to whether any of these we had a chance to take end up being really good. And we can't just assume next year's QB class is going to be great and we're going to trade up for one of the great prospects. Seems silly to assume such a thing.

When QB Fever season hits next year, you'll be happy to have that extra 1st.

From NFL.com AFC East

bills_logo.jpg

Buffalo Bills

Draft picks: Tre'Davious White (No. 27 overall)

Day 1 grade: A

The skinny: Instead of taking Patrick Mahomes as the quarterback of the future, they moved down 17 spots, allowing Kansas City to make the pick. They received a third-round pick this year and a future first-rounder for the move down. Buffalo selected a good corner in White with the 27th pick to take over for Stephon Gilmore, meeting a dire need. Well done.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CNY315" data-cid="4351379" data-time="1493387888"><p><p>From NFL.com AFC East bills_logo.jpgBuffalo Bills Draft picks: i wonder if whaley gets enough love if it will get him through this season

No one here (myself included) has an effing clue about how good Mahomes is going to be, and those who are claiming that they do know are full of it. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

Although I agree completely, I'm far less high on Mahomes than I was before hearing that irish draft expert WGR the other day. The guy came across very knowledgeable, and completely obliterated Mahomes suggesting there are just too many issues with his footwork and throwing mechanics to pan out.

Again, you're right, none of us know for sure. I'm just glad the Bills aren't the team that heavily invested in him.

Although I agree completely, I'm far less high on Mahomes than I was before hearing that irish draft expert WGR the other day. The guy came across very knowledgeable, and completely obliterated Mahomes suggesting there are just too many issues with his footwork and throwing mechanics to pan out.

Again, you're right, none of us know for sure. I'm just glad the Bills aren't the team that heavily invested in him.

The KC franchise has actually-employed-by-an-NFL-team draft experts who will tell us otherwise. Who the hell knows? It's going to take time to shake out.

The KC franchise has actually-employed-by-an-NFL-team draft experts who will tell us otherwise. Who the hell knows? It's going to take time to shake out.

You're absolutely right! But those guys make mistakes all the time, us Bills fans are painfully aware of that.

Time will tell.