Andy Benoit on Bills and draft

Unless the Bills can convince Tyrod to throw the ball into tight coverage and trust his arm and his WR's, it is going to be a long year of "drop back, 1 sec, 2, sec 3 sec, run out of the pocket, and either take off downfield, throw the ball away, or take a sack".

I think that's the point Benoit is making. Tyrod isn't the type of QB that throws to a spot with anticipation and timing from a good route running WR. He's better at the "get open" - I'll see you and throw it type of QB. This is why a more talented WR vs technically sound WR fits us better at this time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@andy_benoit

#Bills biggest draft need is as obvious as any teams biggest draft need: cornerback.

Is it? I mean, I know we need bodies and depth, but Darby was pretty darn good in 2015 when not dumped on an island. And I haven't given up on Seymour. In the deepest DB draft maybe ever I'm a little confused at what Benoit is coming out with.

Is it? I mean, I know we need bodies and depth, but Darby was pretty darn good in 2015 when not dumped on an island. And I haven't given up on Seymour. In the deepest DB draft maybe ever I'm a little confused at what Benoit is coming out with.

Here is how I took that tweet: he thinks every team's biggest draft need is a CB. I personally agree, one should be taken every year. They are way too $$ in FA and it's a passing league where you can never have enough good ones. Even if Darby and Seymour are solid, they need more.

Just how I read it - I could be wrong

The consensus seems to be that this is an especially good draft year at defensive back.

This does not make me automatically want to draft one early. It makes me think I can get a high quality cb later in the draft.

I would concentrate on the positions of draft scarcity early on. Unfortunately, for some positions, like rt, there is no good price point in this draft.

@andy_benoit

Lorenzo Alexander was every bit as good as his numbers indicated last yr. Question is whether he fits McDermotts system.

I like Benoit but he needs to get over himself with comments like this. Alexander wasn't as good as his numbers indicated - he was tied for 3rd in sacks and fell between 44-49 in hurries. A player that's as good as his sack numbers should be closer to the top in hurries (24 is top 15, 40 the top slot).

If McDermott agreed to extend him - he fits in the system. Why should we think Benoit can raise that question?

Here is how I took that tweet: he thinks every team's biggest draft need is a CB. I personally agree, one should be taken every year. They are way too $$ in FA and it's a passing league where you can never have enough good ones. Even if Darby and Seymour are solid, they need more.

Just how I read it - I could be wrong

OK, I can definitely agree with that. You can never have too many quality DBs on the roster.

How many cornerbacks do you need to cover the Patriots? Three. One to cover the receiver Brady is throwing to, one to nudge the one he's not at the 5.1 yard mark for a holding call, and one to draw a Personal Foul by giving the first guy a high five.

"i havent given up on" and "im ready to increase his role dramatically" are two very different endorsements.

saying they have a need at CB doesnt mean they HAVE to take one at 10. Ive been comfortable with that in day 2 personally

"i havent given up on" and "im ready to increase his role dramatically" are two very different endorsements.

saying they have a need at CB doesnt mean they HAVE to take one at 10. Ive been comfortable with that in day 2 personally

yeah, I've been hearing very good things about the class. I am ok with Darby at #1, especially with safety help. Decent expected starters to win out #2-5 sounds fine by me.

some have maintained there are immediate starters at CB going into the 3rd through 5th rounds. If the Bills can identify those those who best fit within this scheme and not need to take one early, that's huge.

"Not an anticipation quarterback" is one hell of an indictment. Nothing more to say, actually. Doesn't matter what kind of receiver you draft or where you draft him. A QB that can't throw with anticipation is too easy to defend and is a liability. Simple as that.

"Not an anticipation quarterback" is one hell of an indictment. Nothing more to say, actually. Doesn't matter what kind of receiver you draft or where you draft him. A QB that can't throw with anticipation is too easy to defend and is a liability. Simple as that.

Amen!!!!

I don't think the Bills will consider WR M. Williams at #10. They may be willing to take him a little later on after they trade back, however.

No way do they take two WRs with only 6 picks currently.

They will need to trade back to make that happen, which I think is their plan.

Right. People like to say, with some justification, that putting up points has not been the problem, but just imagine how productive the O could be if we had an NFL calibre passer (especially if we pick a stud WR #10). How much more competitive we would be when trying to come from behind, especially late in games (we are so easy to defend in those situations).

Benoit has been pretty consistent on that view of Tyrod. I remember him saying it before last season.

Yup. Although to Tyrod's credit, I thought in his last game vs. Miami -- his best game as a Bill -- he showed more of a willingness to anticipate and trust his WRs. The question is whether that was a sign of finally "getting it" or a one-off.

Yup. Although to Tyrod's credit, I thought in his last game vs. Miami -- his best game as a Bill -- he showed more of a willingness to anticipate and trust his WRs. The question is whether that was a sign of finally "getting it" or a one-off.

Also hoping he can turn the corner. One is seduced into thinking he can because he is such a great athlete. I'm hoping but not holding my breath.

Agree entirely here. It was his best game as a pro. His command was really evident as he checked in and out of plays; he had defenders moving all game long.

I thought the Seattle game may have been his "ah-ha" moment, but that wasn't the case. I'm hoping the Miami game was, too, but I need to be convinced like everybody else. If not, our only hope is to get leads and keep him from having to win games with his arm.

Still, that's a terrible indictment of a QB's ability to say he can't throw with anticipation. It's perhaps the most critical aspect of the position from a passing standpoint. Especially in this league where the athletes are all superior and the margins are narrow to begin with.