Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

I must be the only one who doesn't think he is all that bad

CBF

I like him. I think he's been put in a tough spot with some of the "playoffs or bust" mandates the last few years. Hiring Rex was a really bad move and I don't think it was his fault. If we had hired an offensive minded head coach that offseason and made sure Schwartz felt appreciated as a very nicely compensated DC with complete control over that side of the ball, I think we would be a in a very strong position right now.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For McCoy? Ok trade.

They gave him an absurd pay increase when it wasn't necessary and he's a RB. A dime a dozen position.

The trade for Hughes was a good one for sure.

His managing of the most important position in the game has been pretty damn bad. To go into a season with EJ, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as your 3 QBs is a fireable offense in its own right.

your take on RBs is different than what I expected after your whining in the Gillislee thread

Whaley signed Kolb that season and he got hurt in TC. Everyone jokes about the wet mat but that's not why he didn't end up playing, that simply gave EJ more reps in TC. Kolb was concussed in one of the preseason games and had to retire. He has severe effects from it still. He didn't intend to go into the season with those 3. He worked out other vets who were available in late August and they all sucked (which is why they were available as you know). Thad actually won a couple games as the backup, as you know.

A worse transgression was Marrone going to the Cleveland game on TNF with only EJ and Tuel active QBs, and Thad who actually had playing expertise on the PS.

Whaley is far from the best but I dont think he is the worst. Lets see how this draft pans out. If he can get two impact players from this draft and see results from last years draft, then I believe his job is safe. If Watkins can have an injury free year with some big numbers, it will lessen the sting of the Bills moving up to get him.

Hard to say where he ranks in terms of competence but he's definitely the funniest, albeit unintentionally.

"To win in this league, you need two things: players and winning"

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I think about that quote and all is right with the world again.

Edited by QB Bills

Hard to say where he ranks in terms of competence but he's definitely the funniest, albeit unintentionally.

"To win in this league, you need two things: players and winning"

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I think about that quote and all is right with the world again.

Hahahaha

Yes because Kolb didn't have an injury history.

Some competition that was. It was rigged from the start even before his injury.

Whaleys been ok. I wouldn't say worst in the league, but towards the bottom for sure.

This will be his 5th year and to this point he's got nothing to show for it. Not many GMs would've lasted this long but he's getting a longer leash because the owner doesn't really know what to do.

Just curious, what legal field does "Scott Law" typically deal with?

We had 3 draft picks that either did not play or were limited in their play from this last draft

If Lawson, Ragland, and Listenbee have significant contributions this year......Whaley will look much better

and he signed 2 pro bowlers off the scrap heap....and had 2 players that were runner for defensive rookie of the year

so frankly....i dont get it

Was that before or after he signed off on destroying the #4 defense in the NFL? At least we got half a year of ZB pumping up the personal stats and signing elsewhere.

Edited by FireChan

CBF

NO - You are NOT the only one.

I think Whaley does OK considering the changing of coaches and schemes.

I am all for giving Whaley a chance working with a legitimate coach (if McD proves to be one...).

CBF

He isnt that bad. I am with you on this. The article is conjecture - look at it this way...If the Bills draft a QB in Rounds 1 or 2, did Whaley lose the supposed argument at QB? That would indicate to me that he won - since Taylor will obviously be supplanted within a year or two.

Does anybody actually believe that a former D-Coordinator now has the keys to the castle at OBD? That would be insane.

Rotoworld hates the Buffalo Bills... their writers are horrible, with every sport.

How can you say Doug Whaley is the worst when he brought in 2 guys last year, who were pretty much no names (Lorenzo Alexander & Zach Brown) to fill voids for injuries and they turned into stars for this team. In case Rotoworld missed it, Lorenzo Alexander was the MVP of the ProBowl.. He also got Tyrod Taylor to take a pay cut which was very unlikely to happen. Everyone knocks Whaley for the EJ Manuel Pick but the issue with that is... DOUG WHALEY DID NOT PICK HIM-Buddy Nix did. I think Rotoworld is one of the WORST sports sites on the internet.. I feel as though 5 year old kids could come up with better material than Rotoworld. They're just awful..

a gm who can not find a franchise qb and make the playoffs within 3 or 4 years doesn't have much time left at his job.

BUT in Whaley's defense the Pegula's are proving to be bumbling owners just like Ralph Wilson.. Pegula's need to hire football people and step back.. Just hire a GM and stop interjecting and/or over riding. Let the hire fail on their own merits instead of trying to interject on key decisions that they, the Pegula's are obviously bad at.

IMO it won't matter who are GM is if our owners are overly involved in the coaching and player decisions. Also don't expect the best GM to want to work for them if they truly want to win