Corey Davis WR

wppete

He wasn't at the combine and didn't have a pro day with an injury. He had Ankle surgery and will be ready for camp. Been reading a comp is Terrell Owens. Good Size, good speed and smooth route running. Do you guys think this our our pick at #10????? Better option than Mike Williams, Clemson?

Corey Davis WR / Western Michigan Broncos

HEIGHT: 6-3 WEIGHT: 213 40-YARD DASH: 4.48

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I prefer him to Williams too. Assuming we stay at 10 and the safeties are off the board, I would like this pick or OJ Howard.

That's where I'm at with my own analysis, which I haven't had time to do much of this year. If it's not Davis and the safeties are gone, hoping they trade back.

I really like Davis and I really like Williams.

But there is not one example of a successful franchise that has ever invested 2 top 10 picks on WRs 5 years apart. It gets crazier when you realize that we traded another 1st for Sammy & spent a 2nd on Woods.

I've been a big Whaley supporter but if he spends another top pick on a wr, it will be hard to defend him. Awful roster building spending that much on a dependent position.

I agree that it's unlikely. Who are you expecting?

i don't think he's a top 10 player in this draft and I don't expect a WR, or an injured WR, or an injured WR from a small school, to be the first pick of this new coaching staff. I DO like him very much. I WOULD like him on our team. I just don't see him fitting what the Bills will do in the 1st. I *think* they will try to trade down (they need picks!) and if successful they will first try to get a Shaq Thompson type player for McD. No, not Peppers. If they can't trade down, they will take BPA at 10. I don't think that will be Davis. JMO of course.

I like Davis the most of all of the receivers. He gets separation like Ross but has a frame closer to Williams.

Agree 100% on these comps.

Wanted Williams in the beginning of the offseason, but after watching Davis, I think hes the best WR in the class this year.

i don't think he's a top 10 player in this draft and I don't expect a WR, or an injured WR, or an injured WR from a small school, to be the first pick of this new coaching staff. I DO like him very much. I WOULD like him on our team. I just don't see him fitting what the Bills will do in the 1st. I *think* they will try to trade down (they need picks!) and if successful they will first try to get a Shaq Thompson type player for McD. No, not Peppers. If they can't trade down, they will take BPA at 10. I don't think that will be Davis. JMO of course.

Yeah, I agree with all that. I'm confident that a solid DB will be available in the second and depending on how far we can trade down picking up two seconds would be advantageous but also unlikely. I can see a trade down wherein we get Reddick.

I really like Davis and I really like Williams.

But there is not one example of a successful franchise that has ever invested 2 top 10 picks on WRs 5 years apart.

You've made this point before and, although there might be some truth to it, I don't think it's a reason not to take Williams, Davis or Ross if one of them happens to be the best player on the board when the Bills pick comes up.

First, I can think of a few successful teams that have invested heavily in the position. For example, Atlanta made a huge investment in the position when they traded up for J. Jones (one of the only instances I can think of where a first round trade-up actually worked) and Houston has recently used two first round picks on WR. More importantly, though, there is no logical reason a team shouldn't invest heavily in the position. Which team is better off, a team that landed two outstanding WRs with their first-round picks in successive years, or a team who landed an outstanding WR with their first round pick two years ago but then drafted a mediocre front seven player with their first rounder the year after?

Also, I disagree that WR is a "dependent position" in the NFL. Having one or more game-breaking WRs opens up the field and creates opportunities for the entire offense, not just in the passing game. You don't need a "franchise QB" for your offense to benefit enormously from having WRs who can create mismatches for the defense. And vice versa: Look at what happened to the Bills offense the past two years when Watkins was sidelined.

Lastly, in the Bills' case, the cupboard is bare at WR, other than the oft-injured Sammy. It's clearly an area of need. And don't forget, teams DO need lots of WRs. They aren't like QBs--teams generally carry six of them and there are often three on the field at the same time. And as a bonus, many of them also contribute heavily on special teams.

IMO, the only reason for the Bills NOT to draft a WR at 10 this year would be if none those guys is the BPA.

Edited by mannc

You've made this point before and, although there might be some truth to it, I don't think it's a reason not to take Williams, Davis or Ross if one of them happens to be the best player on the board when the Bills pick comes up.

First, I can think of a few successful teams that have invested heavily in the position. For example, Atlanta made a huge investment in the position when they traded up for J. Jones (one of the only instances I can think of where a first round trade-up actually worked) and Houston has recently used two first round picks on WR. More importantly, though, there is no logical reason a team shouldn't invest heavily in the position. Which team is better off, a team that landed two outstanding WRs with their first-round picks in successive years, or a team who landed an outstanding WR with their first round pick two years ago but then drafted a mediocre front seven player with their first rounder the year after?

Also, I disagree that WR is a "dependent position" in the NFL. Having one or more game-breaking WRs opens up the field and creates opportunities for the entire offense, not just in the passing game. You don't need a "franchise QB" for your offense to benefit enormously from having WRs who can create mismatches for the defense. And vice versa: Look at what happened to the Bills offense the past two years when Watkins was sidelined.

Lastly, in the Bills' case, the cupboard is bare at WR, other than the oft-injured Sammy. It's clearly an area of need. And don't forget, teams DO need lots of WRs. They aren't like QBs--teams generally carry six of them and there are often three on the field at the same time. And as a bonus, many of them also contribute heavily on special teams.

IMO, the only reason for the Bills NOT to draft a WR at 10 this year would be if none those guys is the BPA.

:thumbsup:

1) Atlanta has a franchise qb and had a couple bad years before this year. And they drafted ONE receiver since then in the 4th round (2015, Justin Hardy).

2) the Texans spent 2 picks in the 20s on WRs. Completely different than one at 4, 10, & another 1st rounder to boot.

They were forced to give a terrible contract to a qb they got rid of a year later. Now, they have no qb.

3) good qbs make good WRs. Right now, no other receiver will look great since we don't have a great throwing qb. Sammy is the only mouth to get feed consistently and he probably doesn't get the ball enough.

Again, look at the Steelers and how they draft WRs. Wr is a cool position. But if your oline sucks and your qb isn't good, receiver is the definition of a dependent postion.