McDermott establishing Leadership Council amongst players

@jayskurski

McDermott says the #Bills will develop a "leadership council." That will be a change from Rex Ryan, who did not have permanent captains.

McDermott: Big believer in player-driven leadership. Going through narrowing down who those players are. #Bills #BillsMafia

@spencito_

McDermott also said Lorenzo, Kyle Williams and Micah Hyde have already embraced leadership roles w/ team. #Bills

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good! No more changing captains every game because they were born there or have played there before.

I think it is important for players to know who they can rally around when the game is on the line.

I've always felt it was important to identify the leaders on your team. Rex stated he felt leaders naturally emerged but when you identify leaders you make it easier for your younger players to seek out guidance when needed. With Rex at the controls for the past two seasons it really felt like the team lacked leadership. I'm sure there were some guys that would speak up now and again but since nobody was really selected as captains/leaders, I felt like the locker room often looked like a middle school English class where nobody volunteered to read a passage after the teacher asked. Everyone just sitting there waiting for someone else to speak up.

Kyle has obviously been a leader for years, Lorenzo established himself last year and Hyde will do that this year. Those guys likely end up with the C on their jersey. I'm gonna go ahead and say they put one on Watkins as well. He's not afraid to speak up and he knows the team needs to work harder than it has when Rex was there.

I've always felt it was important to identify the leaders on your team. Rex stated he felt leaders naturally emerged but when you identify leaders you make it easier for your younger players to seek out guidance when needed. With Rex at the controls for the past two seasons it really felt like the team lacked leadership. I'm sure there were some guys that would speak up now and again but since nobody was really selected as captains/leaders, I felt like the locker room often looked like a middle school English class where nobody volunteered to read a passage after the teacher asked. Everyone just sitting there waiting for someone else to speak up.

Kyle has obviously been a leader for years, Lorenzo established himself last year and Hyde will do that this year. Those guys likely end up with the C on their jersey. I'm gonna go ahead and say they put one on Watkins as well. He's not afraid to speak up and he knows the team needs to work harder than it has when Rex was there.

Doubt Watkins. Probably TT

This is a breath of fresh air for sure. Like MC and previous posts have eluded to, it's important to have those guys week in and week out that our team can look to. No more Ik Enemkpali type players being captains because they slugged the opposing teams QB.

Does the leadership council answer to Whaley or McD, or Pegs?

But really, its a good idea. After hurricane Rex swept through with a storm of goofs, gluttony, unaccountablity, poor planning, poor execution, etc, I think the team is ready for more structure.

At the end of the day, trusting your players judgment is important, but just letting everyone do whatever they want didnt work with this team.

Does the leadership council answer to Whaley or McD, or Pegs?

But really, its a good idea. After hurricane Rex swept through with a storm of goofs, gluttony, unaccountablity, poor planning, poor execution, etc, I think the team is ready for more structure.

At the end of the day, trusting your players judgment is important, but just letting everyone do whatever they want didnt work with this team.

They're players, they report to the Head coach. I think the idea is that we have real captains who you look to for questions in film study, on the field, or even for off field things if needed.

I'd say it probably would be Kyle, Zo, Tyrod, i guess Hyde seems to want to be a leader. Our ST guys all seem relatively new outside of Zo, so he seems like the natural fit for that side of the ball.

Listening to Lorax speak right now... he's pretty inspiring and exactly what I would want around young players

McD also mentioned they had a Leadership Council in Carolina

I believe Marrone had one here (if I recall correctly)

Edited by YoloinOhio

They're players, they report to the Head coach. I think the idea is that we have real captains who you look to for questions in film study, on the field, or even for off field things if needed.

I'd say it probably would be Kyle, Zo, Tyrod, i guess Hyde seems to want to be a leader. Our ST guys all seem relatively new outside of Zo, so he seems like the natural fit for that side of the ball.

Yeah, Probably Kyle, LorAx, & Hyde on D with Tyrod & Wood on O

I hated the gameday captains!! So stupid. I pictured Rob sitting there the day before the game, eating and yelling across the room " hey did any of you guys grow up in Cleveland? Anyone? How about anywhere in Ohio? Any Indians fans? I need 5 names! Bueller??"

Edited by YoloinOhio