Mets fans?

Another Fan

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My youngest son came up with "Mickeys Clubhouse" this morning. :)

Sweet..I like that! If you saw mick's interview during the game I'm sure you chuckled when he used the term "dirt slop" or something close. Speaking of sons..perfect timing since our nug is flying in tonight..we'll go to see family,then come home to watch the dvr'd game together..be the first time in years.peace.

Interesting move today...Nimmo sent down for Sewald.

Before everyone freaks out I will try to be the voice of reason.

With Lagares emerging as a viable option to not only be a starter again when called upon and the Mets facing 2 lefties this week....AND....I think they do not trust Wheeler on Wednesday going more than 5 I can see why an arm is being summoned from Vegas. While Nimmo is a curious move he just seems to be the odd man out right now.

Also...perhaps they find some "phantom DL" move for Sewald who has not pitched since the STL series and Nimmo does not even leave South Beach and can be called back up immediately and avoid the 10 day call up rule? Just spitballing. 

I know it is not a popular move and I love Nimms a lot too but the new staff earns some credence IMO.I hate playing with a short bench but there must be a reason. 

I'm not saying I love the move...just willing to wait and see what happens. 

Edited by Tierlifer

47 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Interesting move today...Nimmo sent down for Sewald.

Before everyone freaks out I will try to be the voice of reason.

With Lagares emerging as a viable option to not only be a starter again when called upon and the Mets facing 2 lefties this week....AND....I think they do not trust Wheeler on Wednesday going more than 5 I can see why an arm is being summoned from Vegas. While Nimmo is a curious move he just seems to be the odd man out right now.

Also...perhaps they find some "phantom DL" move for Sewald who has not pitched since the STL series and Nimmo does not even leave South Beach and can be called back up immediately and avoid the 10 day call up rule? Just spitballing. 

I know it is not a popular move and I love Nimms a lot too but the new staff earns some credence IMO.I hate playing with a short bench but there must be a reason. 

I'm not saying I love the move...just willing to wait and see what happens. 

We all knew the outfield was crowded.  Lagares earned his spot.  If Lagares stops producing, Nimmo will be back.  There's just not room for both of them with Conforto, Cespedes and Bruce healthy - AND with Gonzalez doing pretty well at 1B.  I'm sure we'll see Nimmo much more this season.

For now, though ... it was absolutely the right move to make, in my opinion.

I have a kind of funny Mets story about a time when the Mets projects were in Buffalo..me and my brother in law took our paps to a game..third base side.The sun was out..mid 70's..they had the button down sweaters on..they botched they were hot..we fed them a few beers and hot dogs,they got happy..then the sun left our seats...they botched because they were getting cold,...Backman got the ejection around the 8th inning during a bad Bisons showing.That afternoon still reminds me and my brother in law of Grumpy Old Men...Both Mets fans..William "" foz" Wasielewski...I'm going to put a small Mets flag in his coffin tomorrow afternoon..and it will go with him on Thursday...that's the way Mets fans roll...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I have a kind of funny Mets story about a time when the Mets projects were in Buffalo..me and my brother in law took our paps to a game..third base side.The sun was out..mid 70's..they had the button down sweaters on..they botched they were hot..we fed them a few beers and hot dogs,they got happy..then the sun left our seats...they botched because they were getting cold,...Backman got the ejection around the 8th inning during a bad Bisons showing.That afternoon still reminds me and my brother in law of Grumpy Old Men...Both Mets fans..William "" foz" Wasielewski...I'm going to put a small Mets flag in his coffin tomorrow afternoon..and it will go with him on Thursday...that's the way Mets fans roll...

Sorry that your father-in-law passed away, but great story in so many ways. Baseball is all about passing along the love and legacy to me. My grandfather was a huge influence on me as was my father. I hope someone puts a Mets flag in my coffin when my time has come.

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That was a great !@#$ing win.

But our bullpen is going to end up dead.  These starters need to go longer.  Especially Jake and Thor.

I don't disagree, but I also think it's part of why Nimmo got sent down today. Hard to argue with any moves when you're playing .900 ball.

And as much as I don't like it (get off my lawn!) I have a feeling we may need to get to used to shorter outings, including Jake and Thor. 6/7 may be the new 7/8 normal.

Just win baby! 

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't disagree, but I also think it's part of why Nimmo got sent down today. Hard to argue with any moves when you're playing .900 ball.

And as much as I don't like it (get off my lawn!) I have a feeling we may need to get to used to shorter outings, including Jake and Thor. 6/7 may be the new 7/8 normal.

Just win baby! 

The short outings are only sustainable if we've got 5 MLB-ready bullpen arms in AAA.  I love that we're 9-1, but Mickey is managing every game like it's Game 7 of the World Series.  I just worry about sustainability.  However, the reason I loved the Callaway hire was his prior experience with Cleveland.  So I'm just gonna sit here, trust him, and enjoy the **** out of watching them!

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

That was a great !@#$ing win.

But our bullpen is going to end up dead.  These starters need to go longer.  Especially Jake and Thor.

Not unless Logo and Gsvllman get burned out and how the off days are managed. Callaway is carrying an extra reliever no in case of this. Something to keep an eye on. Lugo and Gsleeman are the key, they can go multiple innings. 

However I do agree we are going to need length at some point. I was hoping last night but that did not happen.  LGM. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The short outings are only sustainable if we've got 5 MLB-ready bullpen arms in AAA.  I love that we're 9-1, but Mickey is managing every game like it's Game 7 of the World Series.  I just worry about sustainability.  However, the reason I loved the Callaway hire was his prior experience with Cleveland.  So I'm just gonna sit here, trust him, and enjoy the **** out of watching them!

Completely agree on the sustainability concern. I would probably be destroying Calloway if things weren't going so well. Winning cures all.

TDL errr I mean TDA partually torn UCL. Most likely we’ve seen his last days as a Met if he needs surrgery. Would also explain why his throwing has been even worse than usual at trying to catch guys stealing. 

He just never could stay on the field long enough to show what he could have been. 2015 was a nice season for him and 2 huge playoff HR’s that helped the Mets take the lead and win but the guy just can’t stay off the DL.

Nido called up. Looks like Plawecki will get the lions share of PT. I’m betting Sandy isn’t content with that and will be monitoring the trade wire. 

9 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

TDL errr I mean TDA partually torn UCL. Most likely we’ve seen his last days as a Met if he needs surrgery. Would also explain why his throwing has been even worse than usual at trying to catch guys stealing. 

He just never could stay on the field long enough to show what he could have been. 2015 was a nice season for him and 2 huge playoff HR’s that helped the Mets take the lead and win but the guy just can’t stay off the DL.

Nido called up. Looks like Plawecki will get the lions share of PT. I’m betting Sandy isn’t content with that and will be monitoring the trade wire. 

It's happening...

5 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

He’s always been a disappointment.  I won’t miss him.  What about Jonathan Lucroy?

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

He’s always been a disappointment.  I won’t miss him.  What about Jonathan Lucroy?

Would have to trade for him and quite honestly I’m not sure giving up prospects for him would be wise. He’s really declined over the past 2 years.

Ill have to scour the waiver wire and check my Mets message boards and see if I hear anything 

17 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

Would have to trade for him and quite honestly I’m not sure giving up prospects for him would be wise. He’s really declined over the past 2 years.

Ill have to scour the waiver wire and check my Mets message boards and see if I hear anything 

Within the division would be tough, but I know Realmuto wants out pretty badly like you said. Jeter wants to run a poverty franchise for some reason... He has 2 more years of arbitration I believe. Sandy might go for that...

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Any word on Plawecki's hand?  Nido might be the guy tomorrow.  That's scary.

X-rays negative is all I know. I’m sure it swelled up like a balloon on the flight home and this morning. Good shot we see Nido play Fri/Sat is my guess. 

26 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

Within the division would be tough, but I know Realmuto wants out pretty badly like you said. Jeter wants to run a poverty franchise for some reason... He has 2 more years of arbitration I believe. Sandy might go for that...

And he's succeeding. Yesterday their Double-A team (the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp!!!!) outdrew the Marlins attendance-wise.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23134000/miami-marlins-outdrawn-double-affiliate-jacksonville-jumbo-shrimp-wednesday-games

If it's me, I'm planning on riding Plawecki and giving the rookie spot starts for awhile. Usually not much goes on trade-wise until the summer. Oh yeah, keeping my fingers crossed until then too!

5 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

So when’s the last time the Bills AND Mets made the playoffs in the same season? 99? Mets made the WC aka Ventura’s GS single and Music City Miracle ?

Nice memory of the GS single, hadn't thought of that for awhile. That was before my kids time. Tomorrow they will know, so thanks for that Tier!

LAMP ALERT: read on at your own discretion:

Tomorrow is opening day for my youngest sons Little League Team. He is an above average ballplayer but with an off the charts love of playing and the game. He got hurt in practice the night before last and can't play tomorrow. He is crushed. Me too. Because there's is nothing better than watching him play and seeing his love for the game. 

Not sure how if it will work out but my plan is to have him coach first for an inning tomorrow.

Turning off the LAMP now.

11-1!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nice memory of the GS single, hadn't thought of that for awhile. That was before my kids time. Tomorrow they will know, so thanks for that Tier!

Tomorrow is opening day for my youngest sons Little League Team. He is an above average ballplayer but with an off the charts love of playing and the game. He got hurt in practice the night before last and can't play tomorrow. He is crushed. Me too. Because there's is nothing better than watching him play and seeing his love for the game. 

Not sure how if it will work out but my plan is to have him coach first for an inning tomorrow.

11-1!!!!!!!!!!

Of course,let him coach first for a inning or even longer.Just don't put any pressure on him..let him enjoy a different view of the game...great idea imo.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

11-1!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your boy. I hope he can rejoin the team soon? Please keep us updated as I love hearing things like that! 

LGM!!!!!!

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

11-1!!!!!!!!!!

As a dad, I don't find many things more satisfying than watching my son enjoying his passion (your son's is baseball; mine is guitar).  

He'll be back at it before he knows it!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

Sorry to hear about your boy. I hope he can rejoin the team soon? Please keep us updated as I love hearing things like that! 

LGM!!!!!!

No worries with my son, but thanks. He took a ball off the knee at practice on Wednesday and couldn't walk that night, but just a bruise.  He'll play next Wednesday. He did the scorebook today...with his teammate who sat out due to a slight concussion (not baseball-related)

I don't want to hijack this thread with LAMP stuff but I think you guys will like this. Beautiful weather for opening day today. Sunny, mid 70's, tomorrow a high of 40 so go figure. A lot of Mets fans on the team and they were doing the pepper shaker thing! They won 3-1. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

As a dad, I don't find many things more satisfying than watching my son enjoying his passion (your son's is baseball; mine is guitar).  

He'll be back at it before he knows it!

100% on the dad/son passion. I know you're a big music guy and I loved your post awhile back about seeing hard core metal bands with your son.  

Well I suppose they had to lose sometime.  One of the announcers said Harvey set a dubious Met record in he's gone 11 straight starts without getting past the 5th inning.  

You sort of figure 90-72 should get you at least the Wildcard.  79-70 isn't crazy at this point to think about the rest of the way, it's maintaing .500 ball with one hot streak 

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

No worries with my son, but thanks. He took a ball off the knee at practice on Wednesday and couldn't walk that night, but just a bruise.  He'll play next Wednesday. He did the scorebook today...with his teammate who sat out due to a slight concussion (not baseball-related)

I don't want to hijack this thread with LAMP stuff but I think you guys will like this. Beautiful weather for opening day today. Sunny, mid 70's, tomorrow a high of 40 so go figure. A lot of Mets fans on the team and they were doing the pepper shaker thing! They won 3-1. 

100% on the dad/son passion. I know you're a big music guy and I loved your post awhile back about seeing hard core metal bands with your son.  

Stop with the LAMP....I told you fellas about my father in law...it's life..we share things.We have a great group in here..if we need to share something..we should be able to do it in comfort.No worries!

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well I suppose they had to lose sometime.  One of the announcers said Harvey set a dubious Met record in he's gone 11 straight starts without getting past the 5th inning.  

You sort of figure 90-72 should get you at least the Wildcard.  79-70 isn't crazy at this point to think about the rest of the way, it's maintaing .500 ball with one hot streak 

Screw that!  I am DONE with this team!!!!  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Harvey once again could not make it past the 5th. Would it matter even if he did make it to the 6th? He was piss poor again. Only pitching in MLB not to make it PAST the 5th in his last 10 consecutive starts.  They are going to have to make a decision with him and soon. Varags is on the way back soon and Wheeler turned a lot of heads last week in Miami.  Maybe he can go to the pen? What I do know is he is not helping this team every 5th day. 

18 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Harvey once again could not make it past the 5th. Would it matter even if he did make it to the 6th? He was piss poor again. Only pitching in MLB not to make it PAST the 5th in his last 10 consecutive starts.  They are going to have to make a decision with him and soon. Varags is on the way back soon and Wheeler turned a lot of heads last week in Miami.  Maybe he can go to the pen? What I do know is he is not helping this team every 5th day. 

I think .. once Vargas comes back .. they should try Harvey out of the pen.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Holy ****, what a game.  That's my kind of losing streak!!!

The beat goes on...but the question of the day is when will Mick sit Cespedes? His 3 hits in the series prior to today kept him in today's line-up imo.I highly doubt he will play every game of the Nats series.The pitching match up is in our favor tomorrow night but Wednesday night might be the better night off cause it's a travel night ? That dang flu big isn't leaving him and the weather isn't helping matters.

• Like (+1) 1