Mets fans?

Another Fan

7 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

And this is why Vargas was added. Our once promising lefty can’t get his **** together.

I doubt we here any more talk about Wheeler ending up in middle relief with the Jacob setback and the Matz struggles.I am not to hip on Vargas..his career ERA is mid 4.

48 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

And this is why Vargas was added. Our once promising lefty can’t get his **** together.

I'm concerned about Matz's health more than anything.  If the bad outings are health-related I'll be concerned. 

I try to take spring training performances (good and bad) with a grain of salt. But I agree, if it continues to be a pattern and he can't get his **** together at least we have other options like Vargas.

Edited by SinceThe70s

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Anyone plan attending any games this year?  Haven't been out to Citi Field since 2015.

Last year they were just depressing and it felt like every other train from Jersey stalled into the City

Had season tickets for the past few years from 2014-16, this year we decided not to renew. But, we  will be attended 4-5 games this year on Fridays. Going to be deciding which games later this month and buy the tickets. 

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I doubt we here any more talk about Wheeler ending up in middle relief with the Jacob setback and the Matz struggles.I am not to hip on Vargas..his career ERA is mid 4.

Vargas will be the left handed Colon. He’ll have an era hovering 4 but will eat up close to 200 innings. Plus, he’ll give teams another look as he is a soft tossing left and not one of several pitchers that throw 94+. In addition to that we really need Thor, Degrom, and any of the following two to step up and be a reliable starter Wheeler/Harvey/Matz/Gsellman/Lugo/Montero or whomever. 

Edited by Captain Murica

Anyone plan attending any games this year?  Haven't been out to Citi Field since 2015.

Last year they were just depressing and it felt like every other train from Jersey stalled into the City

Hopefully in Toronto..they will be up there on the 3rd and 4th of July. Not sure when they will be in Pittsburgh..that's where I usually catch them.No trip to NYC for me this year..with a bad back..the 7 hour drive is to much these days..

My wife gets great seats for the family through work once a year. First row Caesar/Foxwoods level, behind home plate. The fact that it's only once a year is aggravating and merits it's own thread.

I'll go to a few other games with friends and my brother-in-law.

I think my first game at Shea was 1971. I can't imagine a year without going to a Mets game, but I've probably never been to more than 10 in any given year.

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

West coast swing is late this year, but I may try to see them when they come to SF.

Sorry to bring this off topic but do you guys also remember The Mets Clubhouse?  Stores that used to sell tickets and team apparel.

Ill never forget Benny Agbiyani that year he first came up came to sign autographs at the local one.  The line was like a 2 hour wait before he even arrived!  He was popular back in the day 

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Sorry to bring this off topic but do you guys also remember The Mets Clubhouse?  Stores that used to sell tickets and team apparel.

Ill never forget Benny Agbiyani that year he first came up came to sign autographs at the local one.  The line was like a 2 hour wait before he even arrived!  He was popular back in the day 

Yup, there is one in Garden City which is about 45mins. to 1 hour drive from my house. 

Speaking of waiting hours. My girlfriend and I waited a couple of hours for the Thor/Syndergaard bobble head last year, in hindsight what a ridiculous thing to do, but, ended as of one of my favorite games in recent memory, we were down 5-0 going into the 6th and eventually came back to win on a walk-off HR by Flores. 

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

We are going to the 8/4 game vs. the Braves.  It's Syndergaard Bobblehead Day.  We'll be in the front row in left field.

23 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Heard he missed again.  Not sure if he'll be ready for opening day.

Another tough one for Matz.  It's Spring Training but he's been having a tough time 

Matz is toast.  Done.  He was HORRIBLE yesterday.

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Mick and the boys are beginning to grumble about Rosario and Smith. "You can't make the club of you're always in the tub"-Gene Tenace

Smith concerns me.  Rosario doesn't.

Today, Wheeler pitched well, so that's a positive!

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Smith concerns me.  Rosario doesn't.

Today, Wheeler pitched well, so that's a positive!

I watched the game..Darling made the comment that he is throwing hard without thinking about it...also said he just might have to pitch w/pain..which is concering.Rosario is needed..no way can Reyes start..his bat is shot..first grounder to Evans..E...bounced of his wrist on a easy two hop.The true talent is starting to show on this team..and the players that are taking the route of "it's only spring training" look to be having trouble making the final starting day roster.The Vegas team is going to be strong..they will have some heavy bats for sure.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I watched the game..Darling made the comment that he is throwing hard without thinking about it...also said he just might have to pitch w/pain..which is concering.Rosario is needed..no way can Reyes start..his bat is shot..first grounder to Evans..E...bounced of his wrist on a easy two hop.The true talent is starting to show on this team..and the players that are taking the route of "it's only spring training" look to be having trouble making the final starting day roster.The Vegas team is going to be strong..they will have some heavy bats for sure.

Great observations and agreed on all counts.

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

We can start the season with Reyes at short. But we can't finish the season with him at short.

Just saw that Thor struck out 7 straight. This is far more important to me than DeGrom  being ready for opening day.

Even if DeGrom misses opening day, I think he'll be fine.  If these two can stay healthy all season, that would be phenomenal.  Harvey is who I'm keeping an eye on.  So far, his velocity is up and he seems to have come to camp prepared and focused.

As I said earlier, I think Matz is toast.  I haven't heard a lot about Vargas, but thank God Alderson scooped him up.

Hopefully Dom Smith can get his head out of his ass, but I'm not overly optimistic.

And I agree re: Reyes, but with Frazier's added bat, hopefully we won't need to rely on Reyes for any offensive production.  He's still solid in the field, albeit not quite as flashy as years past.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Even if DeGrom misses opening day, I think he'll be fine.  If these two can stay healthy all season, that would be phenomenal.  Harvey is who I'm keeping an eye on.  So far, his velocity is up and he seems to have come to camp prepared and focused.

As I said earlier, I think Matz is toast.  I haven't heard a lot about Vargas, but thank God Alderson scooped him up.

Hopefully Dom Smith can get his head out of his ass, but I'm not overly optimistic.

And I agree re: Reyes, but with Frazier's added bat, hopefully we won't need to rely on Reyes for any offensive production.  He's still solid in the field, albeit not quite as flashy as years past.

100% agree on DeGrom, Thor and Harvey. I'm not giving up on Matz yet, he's just way too young, but I hear ya. 

My guess on Smith is he starts the season back at Triple A. Best case scenario is he gets his head together and comes up mid season either because Gonzalez is hurt or unproductive. But I'm very skeptical that he'll ever amount to anything.

My comments about Reyes were more about Rosario. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't establish himself as the Mets starting SS this year.

46 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

100% agree on DeGrom, Thor and Harvey. I'm not giving up on Matz yet, he's just way too young, but I hear ya. 

My guess on Smith is he starts the season back at Triple A. Best case scenario is he gets his head together and comes up mid season either because Gonzalez is hurt or unproductive. But I'm very skeptical that he'll ever amount to anything.

My comments about Reyes were more about Rosario. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't establish himself as the Mets starting SS this year.

Agree 100%.

I'm never sure if newsday.com is behind a fee wall. Hopefully not.

Matt Harvey and Mickey Calloway pleased with righthander's start despite final line

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/matt-harvey-mets-spring-training-1.17252685

What struck me about this article about Harvey's start today was how much Calloway's comments were invested in the details of pitching.  

I understand that can be expected and I'm not suggesting it's a problem, although it does raise an eyebrow for me. Kind of like the defensive coordinator that becomes head coach but can't let go of the D, potentially at the expense of the O.

On the positive side I felt like I got more out of "the process" (snicker) of pitching a spring training game than a manager would normally give.

36 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm never sure if newsday.com is behind a fee wall. Hopefully not.

Matt Harvey and Mickey Calloway pleased with righthander's start despite final line

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/matt-harvey-mets-spring-training-1.17252685

What struck me about this article about Harvey's start today was how much Calloway's comments were invested in the details of pitching.  

I understand that can be expected and I'm not suggesting it's a problem, although it does raise an eyebrow for me. Kind of like the defensive coordinator that becomes head coach but can't let go of the D, potentially at the expense of the O.

On the positive side I felt like I got more out of "the process" (snicker) of pitching a spring training game than a manager would normally give.

Just my opinion..and it's a strong one.Why in the hell is our rookie manager talking about him to the media???? Harvey doesn't want the spotlight...the guy appears to be happy and well adjusted again.Mick needs to learn something..he's in New York now..not Cleveland.This is mistake number one by Calloway!