About This Club

A public club to discuss all things baseball.

1. What's new in this club
  2. Misterbluesky

Mets fans?

Rain today,off day tomorrow.Leaves us with just 5 games left.
  3. Wednesday morning at 5:30 o'clock, as the day begins
  4. SinceThe70s

Mets fans?

If the Mets were in the AL East they'd need a paddle. If everything breaks right the Mets have a legit shot at taking the NL East. But at the plate we appear to be way too left-handed and after DeGrom the starting pitching has questions with regard to durability (Thor), believability (Wheeler), consistency (Matz) and sucktitude (Vargas).
  5. row_33

Mets fans?

How are the Mets looking this year? The local Jays are up the creek with the BOS/NYY franchises balling.
  6. row_33

MLB Rule Changes for 2019

Don't like the batter minimum rule. I'm not sure anyone stops watching a game because of even the most egregious testing of a fan's patience with bullpen shenanigans, if they've got that far. Watch the faking of injuries erupt. Can we gather all those who spent half their thoughts watching sports complaining or demanding to change the rules and drop them into the ocean?
  7. A few rule changes for 2019 were announced yesterday: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rules-changes The ones that interest me the most: Trade Deadline: The waiver trade period will be eliminated. The July 31 Trade Deadline will be the only deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades will no longer be permitted after that date. My opinion: I like the intent, not sure how it will play out. Active roster provisions: The roster size from Opening Day through Aug. 31 will increase from 25 to 26 (with the minimum number of active players rising from 24 to 25, and roster sizes for doubleheaders rising from 26 to 27). The 40-man active roster for September will be eliminated. From Sept. 1 through the end of the regular season, all clubs will carry 28 players. My opinion: Great move eliminating the 40-man September roster Three-batter minimum for pitchers: Rule 5.10(g) will be amended to require that starting pitchers and relief pitchers must pitch to either a minimum of three batters or to the end of a half-inning, with exceptions for incapacitating injury or illness My opinion: Hate it. Completely unnecessary, especially since they dumped the 40 man September roster
  8. Misterbluesky

Mets fans?

Matz will have to do a mental cleanse after today's outing.
  9. KD in CA

Mets fans?

I've never understood why people act like that was some controversial move.
  10. SmokinES3

Mets fans?

Oh, then that's a non-factor. I wouldn't mind seeing Smith get another shot now that they treated his sleep apnea.
  11. SinceThe70s

Mets fans?

A few weeks is what I had read in an article recently. I just double-checked. 172 days on an active roster counts as a year of service and a regular season consists of 187 days so I guess it's 15 days. http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time
  12. SmokinES3

Mets fans?

It is only a few weeks? I thought it was longer than that. Smith is hitting also so it could be a bit of a non-issue.
  13. I usually record 2 or 3 games each day and watch them starting around 9pm, fast forwarding to the pitcher getting set, and ditching a game when its garbagetime. It takes about 65 minutes to watch all the actual action in a baseball game, so 3 of them are watched this way in the same time as watching one in real time. This year will include all the Yankees games and another whole series selected randomly at first but eventually fixing to see at least one series in each park. I will provide comments on the announcing crews and game observations. That's the plan at least...
  14. SinceThe70s

Mets fans?

The Wilpons are cheap, we all know that and it sucks. Holding Alonso back for a few weeks to gain an extra year of control has nothing to do with their cheapness. It's the smart move If VanGameShowHost loses that extra year of control he is an absolute fool. Even more so given the Wilpons cheapness.
  15. SmokinES3

Mets fans?

Van Wagenen has sworn up and down it's not a factor but we all know it is with the Coupons.
  16. row_33

Mets fans?

I think it was Leiter who didn’t get along with his father and found out after his death thst his father had attended many of his most important games without any contact at all. Al is still not forgiven by a lot of Jays fans for ditching the team in free agency after given a chance in Toronto. They all knows it’s a business but something still really sticks in the minds of fans to this day about him.
  17. KD in CA

Mets fans?

Same....I remember being so confident going into that game, which is highly unusual considering I've spent my life rooting for the Bills, Mets and Sabres. The mid-80s teams aside, those late 90s teams are my favorite Mets group.
  18. Another Fan

Mets fans?

I tended to have a Jekyll/Hyde relationship with him in terms of baseball fandom. The guy wore his heart on his sleeve as a pitcher and was the ultimate competitor. That one day playoff against the Reds back in 1999 is one of my favorite Mets memories. I still think it was funny when Sean Casey looked like he was about to cry at the end of that game. Yet toward the end of his Mets stay it sounded like he was a bit of a clubhouse lawyer type. The Zambrano deal he supposedly played a large role in that. End tangent. Ancient history though. Hopefully its a good hire
  19. SinceThe70s

Mets fans?

I'll be surprised if Alonso is on the opening day roster - whether he deserves to be or not. I'm not sure the exact number of days, but if they keep him off the MLB roster for a few weeks they gain an extra year of contract control. That's become standard operating procedure across the league and makes good business sense.
  20. Misterbluesky

Mets fans?

Hit his third knock this afternoon...right now,if I'm Mick..I rotate him and Smith on a daily basis..May the best man win the position. Also...thankfully,McNeil is going to start seeing time at third. The spring training giggles,jokes and pranks time is over...the next few weeks are going to fly by..play time in Florida is over.
  21. Another Fan

Mets fans?

As I’ve said before, I really don’t put much into these games. Still I do hope Jacobs head is on straight https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsday.com/amp/sports/baseball/mets/jacob-degrom-wilson-ramos-1.28212207
  22. KD in CA

Mets fans?

You could order a bottle of wine....apparently he makes some high quality stuff! https://1000corks.com/wine/Seaver-Vineyards
  23. SinceThe70s

Mets fans?

The greatest Met of all time. And whoever is second isn't even close. I had the good fortune of seeing him a couple of times at Shea and countless times on WOR with Ralph, Lindsey and Murph. The report I heard is he is retiring from public life. From a strictly selfish standpoint I'd love to give him one last standing O.
  24. Misterbluesky

Mets fans?

I need somebody to explain the reason why Tebow robbed another three AB's from a player that is going to be a contributor this year.
  25. KD in CA

Mets fans?

Yup; that is awful news.
  26. Another Fan

Mets fans?

Heart goes out to Tom terrific and his family. Dementia is a horrible disease