Uber finally coming to Buffalo this summer

YoloinOhio

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Uber has gotten itself in hot water again by not following up on reports of drunk Uber drivers. We live in Oakland and we were so excited about the fact that Uber bought the old Sears building in downtown Oakland and was renovating it and bringing in 3,000 employees. Great news for Oakland right? Well we've been wondering what's been going on because there has not been too much work going on lately. Found out that Uber has decided to only have a couple hundred employees in that building and lease the remaining 385,000 sq ft out. So as of today? Goodbye Uber hello Lyft!

"And me, I'm flying in my taxi
Taking tips, and getting stoned
I go flying so high, when I'm stoned"

A taxi company can randomly drug test, look out for the drunks amongst their rank and file. I wonder how ride-sharing companies police their ranks? There has to be so many drunks that drive and simply don't get caught, like fish slipping through a net. The dude making a beer run to the local supermarket, heck why doesn't he just turn on his app and pick up a few fares to pay for that booze!

Just don't Uber after a Bills game, who knows who you will get swinging by... Oh my!

To think all is on the level with these guys has to be naïve. The average schlep driving around is still the average schlep probably getting stoned and tanked. I wonder how they keep the drivers honest.

How does the drug testing work for taxis? Is it like Louie in the garage shouting to Jim: "Hey! Ignatowski... Company called, go for a piss test!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"And me, I'm flying in my taxi

Taking tips, and getting stoned

I go flying so high, when I'm stoned"

A taxi company can randomly drug test, look out for the drunks amongst their rank and file. I wonder how ride-sharing companies police their ranks? There has to be so many drunks that drive and simply don't get caught, like fish slipping through a net. The dude making a beer run to the local supermarket, heck why doesn't he just turn on his app and pick up a few fares to pay for that booze!

Just don't Uber after a Bills game, who knows who you will get swinging by... Oh my!

To think all is on the level with these guys has to be naïve. The average schlep driving around is still the average schlep probably getting stoned and tanked. I wonder how they keep the drivers honest.

How does the drug testing work for taxis? Is it like Louie in the garage shouting to Jim: "Hey! Ignatowski... Company called, go for a piss test!"

How many independent cabs are out there that don't get drug tested? How many delivery drivers are stoned or drunk? It's not just like Uber is this magnet for rampant drug and drunk drivers. Are there some...sure. Just report them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many independent cabs are out there that don't get drug tested? How many delivery drivers are stoned or drunk? It's not just like Uber is this magnet for rampant drug and drunk drivers. Are there some...sure. Just report them Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point, they are just totally unregulated drivers. Just people like me and you that normally get from point A to point B picking up fares. Just a tad bit more "wild west" than the taxi business.

How does insurance work? Is the ride sharing industry watching to make sure driver's insurance policy doesn't lapse? What about in states without mandatory coverage. Which then leads me to, even if they have coverage, do they have enough coverage. I hope Uber factors this in an makes sure they regulate these things.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The Atlanta Braves opened their new stadium tonight. The surrounding area is still mostly under construction but the stadium looks great and the surrounding should be a fantastic destination all year.

One VERY cool part is they have a special Uber lane where there's some type of add-on to the app so you don't have to find your "exact car", just the next guy in line at the park, like cabs. The app gives you a PIN of some type linked to your destination, I think. I have yet to use it (or figure it out), but I love the idea. I'm only 3 miles from the stadium. The ride will be less than parking, and allows for a beverage or two.

Edited by Augie

So Uber has gotten itself in hot water again by not following up on reports of drunk Uber drivers. We live in Oakland and we were so excited about the fact that Uber bought the old Sears building in downtown Oakland and was renovating it and bringing in 3,000 employees. Great news for Oakland right? Well we've been wondering what's been going on because there has not been too much work going on lately. Found out that Uber has decided to only have a couple hundred employees in that building and lease the remaining 385,000 sq ft out. So as of today? Goodbye Uber hello Lyft!

i usually go lyft first. Having said that, get a $200 credit now on Uber with Amex Platinum....so will use that first(think$20/month) , then Lyft

The Atlanta Braves opened their new stadium tonight. The surrounding area is still mostly under construction but the stadium looks great and the surrounding should be a fantastic destination all year. One VERY cool part is they have a special Uber lane where there's some type of add-on to the app so you don't have to find your "exact car", just the next guy in line at the park, like cabs. The app gives you a PIN of some type linked to your destination, I think. I have yet to use it (or figure it out), but I love the idea. I'm only 3 miles from the stadium. The ride will be less than parking, and allows for a beverage or two.

thats great to hear...and very smart. Lets hope it works at the Bills games like that

thats great to hear...and very smart. Lets hope it works at the Bills games like that

Yeah, I pray they are smart enough to designate a loading zone the way the Braves have. Different in OP as it's not as developed surrounding the stadium, but it still makes a ton of sense on several levels.

My point, they are just totally unregulated drivers. Just people like me and you that normally get from point A to point B picking up fares. Just a tad bit more "wild west" than the taxi business.

How does insurance work? Is the ride sharing industry watching to make sure driver's insurance policy doesn't lapse? What about in states without mandatory coverage. Which then leads me to, even if they have coverage, do they have enough coverage. I hope Uber factors this in an makes sure they regulate these things.

They give you a blanket $1M policy. No cost to the drivers.

i usually go lyft first. Having said that, get a $200 credit now on Uber with Amex Platinum....so will use that first(think$20/month) , then Lyft

Update: The PIN thing didn't work so they are still trying to work out the kinks. You have to wait in line or walk to find your exact car in the pick up lane. Getting there is awesome, getting the ride back a little trickier, but still a great way to go. Cost me $7 each way, parking couldn't be much cheaper even at a far lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Woohoo! As TBD's resident Uber/Lyft driver in SW Ohio, I am happy to hear this. I wonder if I'll be able to "Go Online" and work while I'm up there next time.

I just signed up to drive in WNY when it becomes available. Any tips, tricks, or help for a first time driver?

I don't anticipate driving all the time as I work a lot 6-7 months out of the year, but the other 5 months are slower and I'd have more time to drive.

Edited by Wooderson

I just signed up to drive in WNY when it becomes available. Any tips, tricks, or help for a first time driver?

I don't anticipate driving all the time as I work a lot 6-7 months out of the year, but the other 5 months are slower and I'd have more time to drive.

I have always thought this would be a pretty cool side job.

Joe Six Pack has done it, ask him.

my father in law signed up for both to be a driver. according to him, they're going to try to get it going by the 4th of july in the rochester area. anyone know if this is the case?

Yep. They want to be able to cash in on those Independence Day rides.

Uber is awesome. Much more convenient than a cab. Cheap. Gives you a safe ride home after drinking.

You still have to be a decebt human being. That goes for both riders and drivers.

I had one bad experience with a driver who had spent too many hours on the road and dozed off at a stop light. I reported him immediately and Uber had refunded the trip by the time I woke up the next morning.

They then investigate the driver and send a warning. Another complaint would lead to the driver being "waitlisted." For someone who depends on Uber as a major source of their income, I'm sure its a big deal.

But that brings up a point of contention for me. Uber was meant to be a ride-sharing service. Not a cab company. It wasn't meant to be a person's only source of income, but that's what it evolved into for a lot of people. That group of people kind of brings down the quality, in my opinion. Might sound harsh, but its the truth. Drivers overwork themselves or stress out about getting higher fares.

Don't plan on Uber being your full time job. If you want to drive, do it as a side gig, like the commercials say.

Uber is awesome. Much more convenient than a cab. Cheap. Gives you a safe ride home after drinking.

You still have to be a decebt human being. That goes for both riders and drivers.

I had one bad experience with a driver who had spent too many hours on the road and dozed off at a stop light. I reported him immediately and Uber had refunded the trip by the time I woke up the next morning.

They then investigate the driver and send a warning. Another complaint would lead to the driver being "waitlisted." For someone who depends on Uber as a major source of their income, I'm sure its a big deal.

But that brings up a point of contention for me. Uber was meant to be a ride-sharing service. Not a cab company. It wasn't meant to be a person's only source of income, but that's what it evolved into for a lot of people. That group of people kind of brings down the quality, in my opinion. Might sound harsh, but its the truth. Drivers overwork themselves or stress out about getting higher fares.

Don't plan on Uber being your full time job. If you want to drive, do it as a side gig, like the commercials say.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

my father in law is retired, so he'll want to do it part time. i'm strictly going to be a customer. it's just going to give the wife and i the opportunity to go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks, and not have to worry about driving home. we're always safe about drinking and driving, and not it's a complete after thought.

my father in law is retired, so he'll want to do it part time. i'm strictly going to be a customer. it's just going to give the wife and i the opportunity to go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks, and not have to worry about driving home. we're always safe about drinking and driving, and not it's a complete after thought.

Yeah, its really nice. Too bad its taken so long for Buffalo to get it. There are some articles out there that cite studies on how ride sharing has reduced DUIs and accidents. Not sure how legit it is, but its safe to assume that it helps.

Yeah, its really nice. Too bad its taken so long for Buffalo to get it. There are some articles out there that cite studies on how ride sharing has reduced DUIs and accidents. Not sure how legit it is, but its safe to assume that it helps.

Serious question for you and anyone else (yes I know I can read articles, but I'm looking for more personal opinions). What makes Uber and Lyft so great over taxi's? Personally I've never really used either and only a taxi a few times in my life, so what is the big draw that makes it better than a cab?