Uber finally coming to Buffalo this summer

YoloinOhio

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested to hear your comparison of them after using Lyft for a while.

I've never used Lyft.

I've only used Lyft a couple times and there appeared to be more cars nearby than Uber. Not a huge difference. I just prefer not to do business with dysfunctional companies.

Living in CNY I haven't had a chance to use either except a couple times visiting people out of town so I've never even used their apps.

In anticipation of NYS finally catching up with the rest of the world I was looking to download the Uber app to my phone but hesitated when I saw how horrible the reviews were. Most people were complaining that Uber had recently changed its app so that you can't turn off location tracking where as it used to be you could set it to only track location when actually using the app. Evidently that is how Lyft does it.

I will be curious to see if Lyft has as many drivers around the Syracuse and Buffalo area as Uber does because it seems like there has been nothing but negativity surrounding Uber for a while now and I would prefer to only use Lyft as well if possible.

I almost exclusively use Lyft, except for the free $15 ride a get with Uber once a month. Just ingrained in me to feel guilty if i did not tip, so tipping is easier in Lyft and thats what I do. I think splitting hairs to tell the differences between the company.

While not surprised the CEO needed to be put in time out, I am surprised Holders' Report focused so much on diversity.

#1) Its tech in the Valley, every company struggles like hell to hire female and minorities, African Americans in particular.

#2) If they are talking about the driving force in the field...well duh it will be majority make workforce, and that ain't ever gonna change ( i did not see if they segmented by field and HQ)

The tech bro culture is real, hopefully, some of what Uber is going through can be a catalyst for change to start.

Living in CNY I haven't had a chance to use either except a couple times visiting people out of town so I've never even used their apps.

In anticipation of NYS finally catching up with the rest of the world I was looking to download the Uber app to my phone but hesitated when I saw how horrible the reviews were. Most people were complaining that Uber had recently changed its app so that you can't turn off location tracking where as it used to be you could set it to only track location when actually using the app. Evidently that is how Lyft does it.

I will be curious to see if Lyft has as many drivers around the Syracuse and Buffalo area as Uber does because it seems like there has been nothing but negativity surrounding Uber for a while now and I would prefer to only use Lyft as well if possible.

That's not true. You can turn it off.

JPgTU77.png

And this is one of the reasons I don't take advice from anyone unless they're an expert in what I'm seeking advice on. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

That's not true. You can turn it off.

JPgTU77.png

And this is one of the reasons I don't take advice from anyone unless they're an expert in what I'm seeking advice on. :D

Wait, does "Never" allow them to find you? (Serious question.) I never worried too much about the tracking stuff. I'm pretty boring... If they find me at the scene of a crime, I was probably the victim. Maybe I'm just naive, but it's never bothered me.

Wait, does "Never" allow them to find you? (Serious question.) I never worried too much about the tracking stuff. I'm pretty boring... If they find me at the scene of a crime, I was probably the victim. Maybe I'm just naive, but it's never bothered me.

Well I did just realized they got rid of the third option that other apps have. "Only when app is open". So I guess if you want to be picked up it had to be checked as always.

Well I did just realized they got rid of the third option that other apps have. "Only when app is open". So I guess if you want to be picked up it had to be checked as always.

Even as a guy who just said he didn't care and I have nothing to hide.......that is annoying. Enough so that I'll probably look into Lyft. What does Uber have to gain removing that option? It just seems like an intentional competitive disadvantage.

Even as a guy who just said he didn't care and I have nothing to hide.......that is annoying. Enough so that I'll probably look into Lyft. What does Uber have to gain removing that option? It just seems like an intentional competitive disadvantage.

You can go back and check "Always" when you want to use the app. I do it for a lot of my apps that I don't see a reason for them to track me, like Home Depot. I'll turn tracking back on to find a local store, then back off when I'm done with it.

You can go back and check "Always" when you want to use the app. I do it for a lot of my apps that I don't see a reason for them to track me, like Home Depot. I'll turn tracking back on to find a local store, then back off when I'm done with it.

But that was the whole purpose of the track my location only when app is open option.

Been using both quite frequently for a number of years. I tend to use Lyft due to the ability to tip. I often don't carry a bunch of cash so I just prefer to be able to tip though the app. Have had a couple iffy Uber drivers, don't recall any bad lyft experiences. Talked to a number that work for both and they seem to prefer driving for lyft. Overall, both beat the hell out of cabs.

Uber is getting bad reviews because they've become the latest poster child for 'Corporations BAD!' and their off-the-rails CEO. Service is the same as it's always been.

First couple times I used Lyft there were snafus and I concluded they were not quiet ready for prime time, but now they seem to be just as good, and maybe better in SF.

Uber is getting bad reviews because they've become the latest poster child for 'Corporations BAD!' and their off-the-rails CEO. Service is the same as it's always been.

First couple times I used Lyft there were snafus and I concluded they were not quiet ready for prime time, but now they seem to be just as good, and maybe better in SF.

The best thing Lyft did was get rid of the mustache. I don't care if the ride was free there is no way I was riding in a car with a !@#$ing pink mustache on the grill.

I am sure they are using it for some marketing purpose to know where customers are even if they are not using Uber.

Yep...much like Foursquare has become a big data play with insanely valuable information for hedge funds, mutual funds, real estate developers et al, Uber and Lyft have quite valuable information as well

Edited by plenzmd1

Really, though, if you're fool enough to hire ERIC HOLDER to come in and evaluate your company, you deserve to get burned.