Uber finally coming to Buffalo this summer

YoloinOhio

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What added regional maintenance?

Snow removal, salt, road repair from such maintenance.

BFLo still has the least amount of equipment per mile than other snow bearing big cities... And they get double for 6 months out of the year.

Stick that extra $.50/ride into a maintenance trust fund. Airport maintenance & trust too

What's the underpinning industry in BFLo outside the service industry? Other cities have a strong corporate presence, they can afford to go cheaper.

$.50/ride is not breaking the bank to offset.

I understand NFTA is its own "fifedom"... Time to hold their feet to the fire and all work together. Especially if there is lost revenue from fliers that would normally park. The infrastructure will age, and it is older & ages faster in WNY... It is showing...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Snow removal, salt, road repair from such maintenance.

BFLo still has the least amount of equipment per mile than other snow bearing big cities... And they get double for 6 months out of the year.

Stick that extra $.50/ride into a maintenance trust fund. Airport maintenance & trust too

What's the underpinning industry in BFLo outside the service industry? Other cities have a strong corporate presence, they can afford to go cheaper.

$.50/ride is not breaking the bank to offset.

I understand NFTA is its own "fifedom"... Time to hold their feet to the fire and all work together. Especially if there is lost revenue from fliers that would normally park. The infrastructure will age, and it is older & ages faster in WNY... It is showing...

So immediately go after a new industry trying to provide a service to pay for costs that have always existied? That's a great way to entice new businesses to your area.

News Flash: The world changes. The airport parking lot that is no longer generating parking revenue can be used to build a new slide rule factory. Oh, wait...... Maybe the next great thing.

So immediately go after a new industry trying to provide a service to pay for costs that have always existied? That's a great way to entice new businesses to your area.

Yeah... I understand... But Lyft won't break. They waited tbis long. Infrastructure they use comes first. BFLo is between a rock and hard place, nothing underpinning the service industry. Hope that changes.

Somebody has to pay or services turn to crap... Roads full of potholes. Salt is a killer to the system.

Corporate welfare is flash in pan. No good to system if they don't start paying in... Taxes will just burden others.

News Flash: The world changes. The airport parking lot that is no longer generating parking revenue can be used to build a new slide rule factory. Oh, wait...... Maybe the next great thing.

I went to Seabar last Saturday... I was willing to pay $20 bucks just to park my new truck and be done... In that big empty lot... That was closed to non-monthly payers.

SATURDAY NIGHT.

I drove around and around for 20 minutes until I found a meter on street. Free. Weekends are free!

Yeah BFLo is changing, but I see same fiefdoms... Things do have to change to get the hardcore locals more down there I suppose...

Also... IMO... BFLo needs more than a flashy service industry. That's a foundation of sand. It helps. But, do you think the guy working @ General Mills is using Riverworks. He's probably going home to his pool and Tops bought beer in Hamburg?

Yet, Lyft will bleed them on lost revenue.

...And break down the infrastructure while bleeding them! Why don't they lower the fuel taxes and make all ride sharing people drive a 50 mile per gallon Prius!

Tragedy of commons.

I'm NOT saying that Uber or Lyft are the foundation of an economy. But I WILL say you need to have some form of equivalent transportation to compete with places that have more high paying jobs. You don't want to be seen as some backwater podunck town that is decades behind. The high paying industries want certain service industries.

I'm NOT saying that Uber or Lyft are the foundation of an economy. But I WILL say you need to have some form of equivalent transportation to compete with places that have more high paying jobs. You don't want to be seen as some backwater podunck town that is decades behind. The high paying industries want certain service industries.

Compete with places for what? Business travelers that may have a big banking convention or industry dealings?

I hope the medical thing plays out... But what are people coming to BFLo for over Toronto, New York, Chicago, or even Detroit?

I am not knocking... I am leary of a service bubble and giving everything away that tends to break the city infrastructure down.

Again. Between a rock and hard place. It ain't no SanFran et al. They are pinning hopes on a thin veneer, I hope it holds!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Compete with places for what? Business travelers that may have a big banking convention or industry dealings?

I hope the medical thing plays out... But what are people coming to BFLo for over Toronto, New York, Chicago, or even Detroit?

I am not knocking... I am leary of a service bubble and giving everything away that tends to break the city infrastructure down.

Again. Between a rock and hard place. It ain't no SanFran et al. They are pinning hopes on a thin veneer, I hope it holds!

Think of it this way: I would have come to Buffalo for games several more times over the last decade if I didn't have to deal with a large car rental expense. It can be more than the hotel or airfare. I spend a lot of money when I travel, and WNY won't get it often unless they can play with the big boys. If your complaint is there is no reason to come to Buffalo, that's a different argument. But if you want to attract new businesses and industries, it helps to be current in services.

It's not like people have to drop $200k on a medallion for taxi services. If it's not for you, or you don't earn enough....stop. No biggie.

Think of it this way: I would have come to Buffalo for games several more times over the last decade if I didn't have to deal with a large car rental expense. It can be more than the hotel or airfare. I spend a lot of money when I travel, and WNY won't get it often unless they can play with the big boys. If your complaint is there is no reason to come to Buffalo, that's a different argument. But if you want to attract new businesses and industries, it helps to be current in services.

It's not like people have to drop $200k on a medallion for taxi services. If it's not for you, or you don't earn enough....stop. No biggie.

80k fill that stadium for 8 Sundays a year. Drop in bucket. Like me draining Lake Michigan.

...And services that are simultaneously being broken down by said industry!!!

I'm talking about Uber coming to Buffalo (see thread title). I am NOT talking about filling the Ralph, though I have taken Uber several times to and from Atlanta Brave's games, and it was awesome. The layout in OP, loved by so many - including myself- may actually make Uber a bit awkward. Drop off is easy, pickup can be rough.

I'm talking about Uber coming to Buffalo (see thread title). I am NOT talking about filling the Ralph, though I have taken Uber several times to and from Atlanta Brave's games, and it was awesome. The layout in OP, loved by so many - including myself- may actually make Uber a bit awkward. Drop off is easy, pickup can be rough.

I understand Aug... I am trying to not be down on Uber, et al coming to BFLo. It should happen, finally!

Let's cut a side deal. Next time I am in town for game. My brother or I will drive you around for free! Actually, I think my Bro is thinking about working for Uber/Lyft.

They have "surge pricing"... Bills/Sabres fans have "purge pricing"... Called: "Free." Need a cot and three hots, got that too! Bring your passport & dollar bills, Bro likes to make it rain @ ballet! ;-) LoL... Don't worry, I am the responsible one! :-)

I understand Aug... I am trying to not be down on Uber, et al coming to BFLo. It should happen, finally!

Let's cut a side deal. Next time I am in town for game. My brother or I will drive you around for free! Actually, I think my Bro is thinking about working for Uber/Lyft.

They have "surge pricing"... Bills/Sabres fans have "purge pricing"... Called: "Free." Need a cot and three hots, got that too! Bring your passport & dollar bills, Bro likes to make it rain @ ballet! ;-) LoL... Don't worry, I am the responsible one! :-)

DEAL! I'm all in on a personal chauffeur! (It's OK, I'm pretty generous with "vacation dollars".)

Ask the NYC guy. Not so bad in WNY I suppose outside of more cars tearing up roads, winter freeze-thaw cycles wear and tear.

How much more damage does the Uber car cause than my car? I guess there's a little idle driving, or traffic to my pickup, etc., but it seems negligible, especially in WNY.

Was in Buffalo this past weekend for a wedding. All of the out of towners like me were incredulous at the lack of Uber.

So still not in Buffalo yet. Absurd.

You know what I couldn't get past Cleveland and into WNY? A weather signal on the Entune app for the Toyota Tacoma radio. Seemed like once I crossed Cleveland, said "HD signal not available." Only got the weather and radar screen when we drove back through Ohio last Monday.

So how does Uber cause more cars on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the NYC guy. Not so bad in WNY I suppose outside of more cars tearing up roads, winter freeze-thaw cycles wear and tear.

NYC issues medallions for yellow cabs in order to limit their number, in part , to avoid congestion on the streets. Picture an Uber driver who's from queens having to take a ride to Brooklyn or the Bronx and they don't really know the neighborhood at all (not uncommon). They have to pick up their fare, get the person to wherever they want to go, and then try to navigate the trip. Then they need to navigate their way out of the neighborhood, usually gumming up the locals in the process.

As of January, this year rideshare cars outnumber yellow cabs 4:1. I know they're not all on the road at the same time, but even at half capacity there are 3 times as many cabs on the road as usual. You notice the difference pretty easily. This comes on the heels of the TLC giving out a bunch more medallions to a few thousand "green" cabs (not yellow cabs) which are intended to operate in the outer boroughs and north of midtown only.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/17/14296892/yellow-taxi-nyc-uber-lyft-via-numbers

MTA subway ridership numbers have not increased at all in the past three years, after rising nearly every year prior to that. People are taking individual rides instead of getting on the bus or going down into the subways. Traffic was bad enough before rideshare car services proliferated. Now it is worse.

Edit: Uber works great in the suburbs and in cities that could use more capacity. It works well in NYC, too because people get to where they want to go at a reasonable rate, but it does reduce the quality of life in NYC.

Edited by snafu