Michael Irvin being investigated for sexual assault

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my current favorite thread. Please, all of you continue. Let's gets hysterical! Let's forget decency of respecting the law, blame the victim, blame society, ignore innocent until proven guilty, let's get wild!

Nitwits

This is my current favorite thread. Please, all of you continue. Let's gets hysterical! Let's forget decency of respecting the law, blame the victim, blame society, ignore innocent until proven guilty, let's get wild!

Nitwits

Not sure anyone is getting hysterical nor are they discarding "innocent until proven guilty", but the guy has a history of partying in hotel rooms with cocaine and hookers. This allegation seems to fit his m.o. It takes a lot for a young woman to come forward and make an allegation. I don't know if she was sitting on this for months or if this was a recent incident. Spontaneity would certainly point to this being a real assault as opposed to someone who sat on it for months to see if she could get paid. IMO

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Nitwits

The public has no obligation to adhere to innocent until proven guilty. Should everyone accept that OJ didn't kill his wife because 12 morons found him not guilty? Yes it can go too far as with the Duke LaCrosse case, but to expect the general public to reserve negative opinions of Irving until he is cleared of this crime is ridiculous. Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

The public has no obligation to adhere to innocent until proven guilty. Should everyone accept that OJ didn't kill his wife because 12 morons found him not guilty? Yes it can go too far as with the Duke LaCrosse case, but to expect the general public not reserve negative opinions of Irving until he is cleared of this crime is ridiculous.

You aren't far from the truth. Our lives won't matter a millionth of a tinkers dam to OJ or Irvin going forward.

Not sure anyone is getting hysterical nor are they discarding "innocent until proven guilty", but the guy has a history of partying in hotel rooms with cocaine and hookers. This allegation seems to fit his m.o. It takes a lot for a young woman to come forward and make an allegation. I don't know if she was sitting on this for months or if this was a recent incident. Spontaneity would certainly point to this being a real assault as opposed to someone who sat on it for months to see if she could get paid. IMO

a few were borderline and needed encouragement. Others brought up his reputation which doesn't generally matter to the law, others brought up OJ, so its silly.

While I hope nothing happened I hope all those affected come to peace and get the help they need. But just like I matter to Michael Irvin, this doesn't interfere with my foolish life whatsoever

The public has no obligation to adhere to innocent until proven guilty. Should everyone accept that OJ didn't kill his wife because 12 morons found him not guilty? Yes it can go too far as with the Duke LaCrosse case, but to expect the general public to reserve negative opinions of Irving until he is cleared of this crime is ridiculous.

I agree. It's only natural that Irvin isn't highly thought of on this board. He's a former Cowboy who has now been accused of sexual assault there times. He's also another one of the countless horrible television personalities with no talent whatsoever. There aren't many reasons to jump to the guy's defense. He's not a very likeable personality.

I'm not familiar with this unit of measure. Please explain.

Well, you see, Normie ...

There's some debate over whether this phrase should be 'tinker's dam' - a small dam to hold solder, used by tinkers when mending pans, or 'tinker's damn' - a tinker's curse, considered of little significance because tinkers were reputed to swear habitually.

If we go back to 1877, in the Practical Dictionary of Mechanics, Edward Knight puts forward this definition:

"Tinker's-dam - a wall of dough raised around a place which a plumber desires to flood with a coat of solder. The material can be but once used; being consequently thrown away as worthless."

That version of events has gone into popular folklore and many people believe it. After all, any definition written as early has 1877 has to be true doesn't it?

Knight may well have been a fine mechanic but there has to be some doubt about his standing as an etymologist. There is no corroborative evidence for his speculation and he seems to have fallen foul of the curse of folk etymologists - plausibility. If an ingenious story seems to neatly fit the bill then it must be true. Well, in this case it isn't. The Victorian preference of 'dam' over 'damn' may also owe something to coyness over the use of a profanity in polite conversation.

That interpretation of the phrase was well enough accepted in Nevada in 1884 for the Reno Gazette to report its use in the defence of a Methodist preacher who was accused of the profanity of using the term 'tinker's dam':

The same view was expressed in the Fitchburg Sentinel newspaper in 1874.

"It isn't profane any more to say tinker's dam. The minister stated that a tinker's dam was a dam made by itinerant menders of tinware on a pewter plate to contain the solder".

The problem with that interpretation is that all those accounts ignore an earlier phrase - 'a tinker's curse' (or cuss), which exemplified the reputation tinkers had for habitual use of profanity. This example from John Mactaggart's The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, 1824, predates Knight's version in the popular language:In the Grant County Herald, Wisconsin, 1854, we have:

"A tinkler's curse she did na care what she did think or say."

So, we can forget about plumbing. The earlier phrase simply migrated the short distance from 'curse' to 'damn' to give us the proper spelling of the phrase - tinker's damn.

"There never was a book gotten up by authority and State pay, that was worth a tinker's cuss".

Well, you see, Normie ...

There's some debate over whether this phrase should be 'tinker's dam' - a small dam to hold solder, used by tinkers when mending pans, or 'tinker's damn' - a tinker's curse, considered of little significance because tinkers were reputed to swear habitually.

If we go back to 1877, in the Practical Dictionary of Mechanics, Edward Knight puts forward this definition:

"Tinker's-dam - a wall of dough raised around a place which a plumber desires to flood with a coat of solder. The material can be but once used; being consequently thrown away as worthless."

That version of events has gone into popular folklore and many people believe it. After all, any definition written as early has 1877 has to be true doesn't it?

Knight may well have been a fine mechanic but there has to be some doubt about his standing as an etymologist. There is no corroborative evidence for his speculation and he seems to have fallen foul of the curse of folk etymologists - plausibility. If an ingenious story seems to neatly fit the bill then it must be true. Well, in this case it isn't. The Victorian preference of 'dam' over 'damn' may also owe something to coyness over the use of a profanity in polite conversation.

That interpretation of the phrase was well enough accepted in Nevada in 1884 for the Reno Gazette to report its use in the defence of a Methodist preacher who was accused of the profanity of using the term 'tinker's dam':

The same view was expressed in the Fitchburg Sentinel newspaper in 1874.

"It isn't profane any more to say tinker's dam. The minister stated that a tinker's dam was a dam made by itinerant menders of tinware on a pewter plate to contain the solder".

The problem with that interpretation is that all those accounts ignore an earlier phrase - 'a tinker's curse' (or cuss), which exemplified the reputation tinkers had for habitual use of profanity. This example from John Mactaggart's The Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, 1824, predates Knight's version in the popular language:In the Grant County Herald, Wisconsin, 1854, we have:

"A tinkler's curse she did na care what she did think or say."

So, we can forget about plumbing. The earlier phrase simply migrated the short distance from 'curse' to 'damn' to give us the proper spelling of the phrase - tinker's damn.

"There never was a book gotten up by authority and State pay, that was worth a tinker's cuss".

Can't believe I read this nonsense....we are all dumber with your contribution...may God have mercy on your soul.

Nitwits

Irvin's alibi is that he was hanging out with Emmitt Schmiff.

Couldn't stand listening to him yelling nonsense. He is awful on TV.

,....Irvin & Me Deon are obnoxious as hell....there are good guys on NFLN that are good to listen to......LT, Willie Mcginest, Heath Evans, Reggie Wayne, Curt Warner and Michael Robinson for starters...