Sean McDermott clears the air on reported rift.

PIZ

This makes the most sense and something that several in here had said might be happening. But of course it is way too boring to the LaCanforas and Sully's of the media world and the Whaley detractors on this board.

Leaks seem to be plugged, they are all in on the 'one voice' philosophy and have hired an image consultant. If there is to be one voice, better McD than Whaley.

This ^^....on top of the lack of Rex's big mouth running like Niagara Falls and there has been little drama for anyone to write about. So reporters at the snooze or any of the million online media outlets have to create a stir anyway they can....

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, LaCanfora says McDermott has growing cache with ownership, could be bringing in VPs or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future, and that the marriage likely isn't built to last.

And then McDermott says that Whaley and he worked together on all this and neither could have done it alone, that it's been a total team effort, and that "Doug and I have had healthy conversations, productive conversations, and I look forward to doing that moving forward." And that the team will speak with one voice.

And people hear McDermott's comments and say, "See, LaCanfora was wrong, and there's no problem." Really?

Does nobody notice that both of those could easily be 100% true, that they are not contradictory? They are not.

Did McDermott say how far forward he will move with Whaley? Did he say there will be no new VPs or personnel figures? Folks, this is good PR, but McDermott didn't contradict LaCanfora's report. He didn't say there isn't conflict. And he certainly didn't guarantee Whaley's future with the Bills will be long or filled with power.

Why yes. You are on to something here. Long live the Drama Queens!

There's absolutely nothing that McD said that cleared the air.

If you're inclined to think that there's no rift, then his comments are reassuring.

If you're inclined to think that there is a rift, then his comments are standard evasive coach speak that sound exactly like Rex's.

Stop The Presses!

please..

Really...this was right out of the book.

Pegula went on and on in October about how you can't even talk about it, let alone actually fire the HC because....continuity.

Not true...obviously.

Doug is the beta power bottom.

Fixed

So, LaCanfora says McDermott has growing cache with ownership, could be bringing in VPs or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future, and that the marriage likely isn't built to last.

And then McDermott says that Whaley and he worked together on all this and neither could have done it alone, that it's been a total team effort, and that "Doug and I have had healthy conversations, productive conversations, and I look forward to doing that moving forward." And that the team will speak with one voice.

And people hear McDermott's comments and say, "See, LaCanfora was wrong, and there's no problem." Really?

Does nobody notice that both of those could easily be 100% true, that they are not contradictory? They are not.

Did McDermott say how far forward he will move with Whaley? Did he say there will be no new VPs or personnel figures? Folks, this is good PR, but McDermott didn't contradict LaCanfora's report. He didn't say there isn't conflict. And he certainly didn't guarantee Whaley's future with the Bills will be long or filled with power.

No matter. I'm sure these are just the sort of questions Bucky and Sully will drill down on when given the chance at their next JV "press" inquisition. Cuz people need to know, dammit.

If the Gm is finding him the players he needs I don't see where they can be a beef. Until they get a Qb smart minds will always debate the best path to take. We do it on this board hourly . F Taylor I kid I kid

Not for nothing, we already have "A" QB. It is easy geting "A" QB.

Finding "THE" QB is much harder and I hope the two of them take enough time (this time) to find "THE" QB and not just "A" QB.

What they are saying is THERE IS NO RIFT. Now if Whaley loses his job it because he's not getting it done, NOT because he can't get along with the coach. It's possible that the get along fine and Whaley gets replaced in the future based on his failure to meet expectations of the owners.

What about this, "But, on Monday at the NFL owners meetings, McDermott scoffed at the notion that he and Whaley were on poor terms, let alone participating in the in-house bickering that many believe to be occurring."

It is very clear that no amount of debate will sway these knuckleheads from their i'll concieved beliefs.

Maybe this is some kind of off shute from Fantasy Football.

Now introducing "Fantasy Offseason".

Gullible people in this thread.

So it's not that McDermott is now doing all the talking, it is "One Voice".

It's not that Whaley no longer appears in public or speaks, it's "One Voice" We will just tell the fans it is "One Voice" , and we believe in it, and they will believe it, because they believe anything we tell them.

And they will mock people who point out that calling what has happened, is the same thing whether you say 'Whaley doesn't get to talk any more" or "One Voice"

And they will mock anybody who points out the irony of it being Sean McDermott being the one to say all of this means nothing, at the NFL meetings, which is yet another event that Whaley will not be allowed to talk at.

Two months ago Doug Whaley said the team policy is the coach is the voice during the season and he is the voice at other times. And oddly, that was the last peep we have heard out of him.

I am with the few who say, this talk by One Voice McD, doesn't clear up anything.

What McDermott did do however, is point out that he and his coaching staff, are now more involved with the free agency shopping, than the coaches have ever been said to be before.

Doug Whaley always got all the credit for that.

LaCanfora had no sources.

He didn't even go as far as claiming it was from unnamed front office personnel at One Bills Drive. He instead used the term "rumblings" -- which is clue #1 that his story was pure BS and speculation.

• There is a public perception that Doug Whaley doesn't like Tyrod Taylor as his quarterback. So when the Bills brought him back, many took that as an indication that Whaley lost a power battle over whether to re-sign the QB.
  • There is a public perception that Doug Whaley loves EJ Manuel and refuses to accept him as a bust. So when the Bills made no effort to bring him back to the roster, many took that as another indication that Whaley is not really calling the shots.
  • Then when it was announced that McDermott was running the press conference instead of Whaley, there was an immediate assumption that something was going wrong behind the scenes. (Despite the fact that Terry and Kim Pegula made it clear months ago that the coach would now be the organization's single voice).

These are the reasons that LaCanfora wrote the story. It had nothing to do with him getting top secret inside information.

It was a lazy reporter trying to connect the dots, then using the "anonymous sources" claim in order to cover his *** in the event things didn't really pan out.

If the Pegulas were going to can Whaley, they had every single opportunity back in December/January. They were starting over at head coach. They had the media and much of the fanbase on their side. But for some reason, they felt that Whaley was worth keeping around.

Edited by mjt328

Sortve like when Pegula cleared the air on the reported rumors Rex would be fired if Bills didn't have a successful season in 2016.

Yea, this means nothing.

At the time, rumors were circling that Pegula gave both Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan an "ultimatum" to make the playoffs or they would get fired.

Pegula said this never happened.

And here we are. Ryan got fired. But Whaley did not.

So obviously the story was not true.

It's not that Whaley no longer appears in public or speaks, it's "One Voice" We will just tell the fans it is "One Voice" , and we believe in it, and they will believe it, because they believe anything we tell them.

And they will mock people who point out that calling what has happened, is the same thing whether you say 'Whaley doesn't get to talk any more" or "One Voice"

And they will mock anybody who points out the irony of it being Sean McDermott being the one to say all of this means nothing, at the NFL meetings, which is yet another event that Whaley will not be allowed to talk at.

Two months ago Doug Whaley said the team policy is the coach is the voice during the season and he is the voice at other times. And oddly, that was the last peep we have heard out of him.

I am with the few who say, this talk by One Voice McD, doesn't clear up anything.

What McDermott did do however, is point out that he and his coaching staff, are now more involved with the free agency shopping, than the coaches have ever been said to be before.

Where is your evidence that Doug Whaley is "not allowed" to talk anymore?

The Pegulas (both Terry and Kim) gave an interview months ago, before they even HIRED Sean McDermott, that they wanted the head coach to be the voice of the organization. That very article was posted on the first page of this thread, just in case you needed a refresher.

And even if the Pegulas have put a gag order on Whaley (which is total speculation), that doesn't mean they are getting ready to replace him. Maybe they just think he isn't the best public speaker. Whaley's primary job is assembling the roster, and when half of the City of Buffalo was calling for his head, the Pegulas stuck by him.

Edited by mjt328

Even paranoid people have enemies, I suppose. Good for you.

The Pegulas (both Terry and Kim) gave an interview months ago, before they even HIRED Sean McDermott, that they wanted the head coach to be the voice of the organization. That very article was posted on the first page of this thread, just in case you needed a refresher.

Uhm, the interview that you're referring to happened AFTER they hired McDermott.

I hate the offseason.

Bills fans hate the offseason. #jlc confirmedtwitteraccount

I can neither confirm nor deny that all Bills fans hate the offseason, or how deep their hatred of it is. #jlc confirmedtwitteraccount

Bills fans threatening to end the offseason in violent fashion #jlc confirmedtwitteraccount

The offseason is declared enemy #1 by Bills fans #jlc confirmedtwitteraccount
OBD Front Office strangely quiet on how The Bills fans hate the offseason #jlc confirmedtwitteraccount