ESPN announces replacements for Berman on NFL shows

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney ruined ESPN. They are trying to cut costs and have driven out the high salaried analysts that have been there for decades.

They don't realize by trying to get ratings with the likes of Stephan A Smith, which they do, several sports fans who are turned off by this directive, do more than not watch Stephan A. Smith, they turn off ESPN all together. ESPN used to be great but it is barely watchable now and I personally do not watch it except for live sports action.

Turn on the NFL network for the draft, it is better coverage anyways. ESPN is a sinking ship and I personally look forward to seeing ESPN getting passed by its competitors.

Somewhat disagree.

Mike Mayock is great with his analysis. Aside from that, NFL Network's coverage of the draft is nothing special. I'm sure Rich Eisen is a good guy, but he brings absolutely NOTHING to his job as the lead in covering the draft.

At least Chris Berman & Trey Wingo brought a little knowledge with some of the college players that were being drafted. I know people get annoyed with Mel Kiper Jr., but I do appreciate his analysis.

I give ESPN the edge in draft coverage.

i think he's a guy who will probably go into the media once he's totally done. He was still on a roster last year but think he's a FA right now.

Yeah, I know, It was satire. He's been irrelevant since AP nearly broke the single season rushing record and they lost in the first round to the packers that year.

He is a current FA. Wouldn't doubt thought he ends up as a backup somewhere, only played for 800k last year and is only 29. Cheap Veteran that has been in the league for a good amount of time.

Git 'R done, Whaley!

Disney ruined ESPN. They are trying to cut costs and have driven out the high salaried analysts that have been there for decades.

They don't realize by trying to get ratings with the likes of Stephan A Smith, which they do, several sports fans who are turned off by this directive, do more than not watch Stephan A. Smith, they turn off ESPN all together. ESPN used to be great but it is barely watchable now and I personally do not watch it except for live sports action.

Turn on the NFL network for the draft, it is better coverage anyways. ESPN is a sinking ship and I personally look forward to seeing ESPN getting passed by its competitors.

i concur. They're on suicide watch

I genuinely don't know why anyone watches ESPN given the expansive sports media on the internet and your ability to pick and choose the voice that you prefer. Gone are the days when PRIMETIME was THE SHOW to watch. Highlights aren't aired at one specific time -- in fact they're online seconds after they happen. The story-telling aspect of the games are gone completely. With Chris Berman leaving, there's not even a nostalgic factor going for the network.

Somewhat disagree.

Mike Mayock is great with his analysis. Aside from that, NFL Network's coverage of the draft is nothing special. I'm sure Rich Eisen is a good guy, but he brings absolutely NOTHING to his job as the lead in covering the draft.

At least Chris Berman & Trey Wingo brought a little knowledge with some of the college players that were being drafted. I know people get annoyed with Mel Kiper Jr., but I do appreciate his analysis.

I give ESPN the edge in draft coverage.

sirius nfl network might have the best coverage. gil brandt is used just right to bring up amazing facts about joe nobody from macugnie state.

I genuinely don't know why anyone watches ESPN given the expansive sports media on the internet and your ability to pick and choose the voice that you prefer. Gone are the days when PRIMETIME was THE SHOW to watch. Highlights aren't aired at one specific time -- in fact they're online seconds after they happen. The story-telling aspect of the games are gone completely. With Chris Berman leaving, there's not even a nostalgic factor going for the network.

If NFL Primetime still existed, I would still watch it.

Today's highlight shows suck.

I said the day FS1 started...ESPN's days were instantly numbered, because we've seen this story before == Fox News destroying CNN/CNBC/MSNBC. When Red Eye was good, at 3am, it beat Rachel Maddow's audience at 9pm. It's a fact that nobody wants to explain because: butthurt.

The response to my FS1 projection was crap. Mostly predicated on the fact that 1) this was around 2011, and ESPN's numbers were at a record high, and, 2) a whole bunch of bias. All FS1 was doing was capitalizing on a market that ESPN created, and they'd be lucky to be a minor player... :lol:

Now? Here we are. I ask you all: was Disney responsible for the 24/7 coverage of Colin Kaepernick? Was Disney responsible for firing Curt Schilling, when, 70-90% of self-described "sports fans" agreed with him? Do you really support a grown man, dressed like a girl, using using your daughter/niece/some random little girl you don't know's restroom at a baseball game? If you do, then I can't help you...and neither can ESPN: their future bankruptcy is directly tied to your current moral bankruptcy.

Why was it so easy for FS1 to poach the "talent" of Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless? Christ: those 2 guys WERE the ESPN model for at least the last 10 years. Why is Cowherd(who is hilarious every time he said/says he isn't a "company man", yet, promoted ESPN's NBA coverage, dissed hockey, then, kissed our asses just before WGR cancelled him, and, is now a hockey fan...because of the number of Fox MSG clones out there) now calling ESPN a terrible place to work?

In the end, ESPN is getting exactly what it deserves. It's no different than any firm that consistently undermines their customer's trust, by consistently replacing what the customer wants, with what their personal/company agenda says the customer needs.

Sure. you can get away with it for a while, sometimes even a decade. However: look where we are now. You can't get away with it forever.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

ESPN is dead to me.

No Chris Berman? No reason to tune in for highlights anymore. Can't stand SVP.

They didn't retain Skip Bayless either. He's a troll, no doubt, but he's the train crash you can't help but watch.

Plus, they hired Rex. No way he says anything nice about the Bills.

Looks like FS1 is going to be the new network. They don't do that social justice **** as much either.

Edited by GETTOTHE50

ESPN is dead to me.

No Chris Berman? No reason to tune in for highlights anymore. Can't stand SVP.

They didn't retain Skip Bayless either. He's a troll, no doubt, but he's the train crash you can't help but watch.

Plus, they hired Rex. No way he says anything nice about the Bills.

Looks like FS1 is going to be the new network. They don't do that social justice **** as much either.

Yeah.

I mean, if you were to create a "ensure WNY tunes us out" plan...ESPN has been following it for 10 years.

The bigger problem? This isn't just the WNY tune-out plan, it's essentially a plan that ensures tune-out for 80% of sports fans.

It's funny, because, we can dance around the political parallels of ESPN's current condition, for the sake of this this board's safe-space rules, all day...it doesn't change the facts on the ground: ESPN is taking a beating, and the reason's are as obvious as looking at a map.

I turn the TV on at 1:00 on Sunday, could care less.

Sounds exactly like me! Do my research during the week and turn the game on at kickoff so I don't have to watch any of those morobns. The NFL is the m,ost covered, and worst covered, of all of the sports. Sad..........

I tape 5 or 6 1pm games and sit down at 2pm and fast forward from the end of the play right to the moment the QB sets for the snap

an NFL game takes an hour to watch all the plays usefully, when she's garbagetime i ditch it, except for the BIlls cause that's when TT shines

haven't heard a thing coming out of the mouth of Berman or Marino or Zippy and the 12 Bozos for 20 years now

this also eliminates Gruden unless he continues blabbing well into the next play...

I do the exact same thing. Start watching at 2-2:30 and if the game is good, I'm caught up live around 4 ish when there's high drama. If it's not, I tell myself I don't really need to sit through it, but most of the time I do anyway.

ESPN is the Sears of sports media.

They know it but can't come to grips with it. Their business model and brand are dying.

Telltale sign is this wholesale insertion of the cheaper on-air talent and increase of the cheap talking head airtime. They need "somebody" to say a lot of "something" so why not get it at the cheapest price point possible.