Changes coming to Bills front office?

The sad part about the Pegula interview was after he couldn't answer the question as to who was running the draft, the reporters gently reminded Terry what the Bills propaganda machine had been saying over the last few months. Doug is in control Terry! Yet Terry refused the help and then admitted who was really in charge, himself. Which ever of Terry's lieutenants "feels the strongest" can win the day.

So how does this organizational structure work? See what happened after Doug Marrone quit. Terry asks Doug to setup head coach interviews based on experience and do an exhaustive search. They interview a lot of people. Doug the football guy mentions keeping the defense intact is important and that the head coach should be an offensive guru to get the team over the hump. In comes Brandon, who "feels strongly" that Rex Ryan will bring excitement to the city and show the town that the Pegulas mean business. Brandon's pitch wins over Doug's boring presentation and Rex Ryan is hired.

Terry Pegula just admitted this decision tree is still the model! Can't believe Buffalo News missed that as Carucci's column glossed over the most revealing quotes!

Edited by jeffismagic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were told all day that Whaley was in control of the 53 and Whaley would run the draft from posters on this board. Terry Pegula just destroyed that idea right there!

Your obsession with THE AUTHORITARIAN indicates that you are either very young or very immature.

It is like a child saying "but why" after everything you say.

Eventually, the adult realizes that it is pointless to respond any further.

Your obsession with THE AUTHORITARIAN indicates that you are either very young or very immature.

It is like a child saying "but why" after everything you say.

Eventually, the adult realizes that it is pointless to respond any further.

Who wants to be like New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Denver. You're right, I prefer the Bills model perfected under Levy-Jauron.

So you don't think Whaley and McDermott are football people, or you think Terry has final say on football decisions?

Watch the Pegula interview on the Bills website. He couldn't name the football person with final call. When pressed he wants it where "whoever feels strongest" we might lean that way.

Reading between the lines it's Terry and Kim! They want to hold court and then decide.

Edited by jeffismagic

Watch the Pegula interview on the Bills website. He couldn't name the football person with final call. When pressed he wants it where "whoever feels strongest" we might lean that way.

Reading between the lines it's Terry and Kim! They want to hold court and then decide.

Didn't sound like to me that he "couldn't", sounded more like he didn't want to, and I don't blame him. He owes the press nothing on how he runs his organization; who has power over what. There's nothing wrong with a consensus approach.

I've heard Pat Kirwan of Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains tell his story several times of when Bill Cowher and Donahoe or even Colbert later were ever in disagreement on football matters, Rooney would tell them both point blank, "lock yourselves in a room and don't come out until you have a unified decision decision for me"

Seemed to have worked well then...

Didn't sound like to me that he "couldn't", sounded more like he didn't want to, and I don't blame him. He owes the press nothing on how he runs his organization; who has power over what. There's nothing wrong with a consensus approach.

I've heard Pat Kirwan of Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains tell his story several times of when Bill Cowher and Donahoe or even Colbert later were ever in disagreement on football matters, Rooney would tell them both point blank, "lock yourselves in a room and don't come out until you have a unified decision decision for me"

Seemed to have worked well then...

Well, either Pegula is a well-meaning, but hopeless idiot or your interpretation is true. I like the Pegulas and prefer to maintain a semblance of hope for the future of the Buffalo sports franchises, so I'm going with your version until definitively proven otherwise.

Baltimore Ravens: General manager Ozzie Newsome calls the shots and it's why the organization's mantra is "In Ozzie we trust." But the Ravens' draft room is far from a one-man operation. One of Newsome's strengths is assessing the collective opinion of the room and then making the final call. He takes input from the scouts, coaching staff and his right-hand man in assistant GM Eric DeCosta. Owner Steve Bisciotti has made it known he defers to Newsome (like the time Bisciotti wanted to take cornerback Lito Sheppard over safety Ed Reed in 2002). This marks the 21st draft in which Newsome is the top decision-maker. -- Jamison Hensley

New England Patriots: The Patriots have a smaller-than-the-norm draft room compared to their NFL peers, with coach Bill Belichick relying on director of player personnel Nick Caserio, director of football research Ernie Adams, assistant to the coaching staff Michael Lombardi and director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort, among others. But when it comes time to make the final call, it's Belichick whose opinion trumps all. --

Pittsburgh Steelers: General manager Kevin Colbert gets the call. He has helped direct traffic in the Steelers' war room during the Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin regimes. But Tomlin and Colbert really do make these calls together. Colbert's not going to undercut Tomlin on a pick. Tomlin describes the working relationship as an "old married couple." Since Colbert runs the draft operation, he gets the spotlight. For example, Tomlin handles media duties during the season, and Colbert assumes that role from January to April. Either way, there will be no surprises between these two on

Green Bay Packers: General manager Ted Thompson makes the call. Former Packers president Bob Harlan gave then-GM Ron Wolf full authority over all football decisions when he hired him in 1991 and promised no interference, and current president Mark Murphy has continued that with Thompson. However, as coach Mike McCarthy tells it, Thompson "told me in the beginning he would never force a player on me." So there's input from McCarthy and the scouts, but it's ultimately Thompson's decision.

Denver Broncos: When it comes to personnel decisions, executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway likes discussion, he likes strong opinions and he wants to hear all of the issues involved with any decision. But in the end, Elway is THE team's decision-maker. Mike Sullivan (who handles the team's salary cap and contracts), Matt Russell and Tom Heckert all have strong voices in the process -- and Elway trusts them all -- but Elway breaks the ties and gives the final nod. -

Seattle Seahawks: Having final say was important for Pete Carroll when he decided to give head coaching in the NFL a third try. And he was involved in the hiring of GM John Schneider. Though Carroll is the ultimate authority, the Seahawks appear to be a truly collaborative operation. Schneider and his staff work on the draft year-round, and he has significant influence. Carroll recently called Schneider the best GM in football and says he is the driving force behind acquiring talent. Their partnership has led to 46 regular-season wins over the past four years, the most in the NFC.

New York Giants: Giants GM Jerry Reese leans hard on his scouts, and his coach and owner have lots of input in the draft. But in the end, it's Reese who makes the pick. The Giants have long adhered to a strict separation of powers between the coaching staff and the front office, and as GM, the draft is Reese's purview. If the room is split between two picks, it's Reese who makes the final call, and it has been since he became GM in 2007. --

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both

The best drafting teams disagree with Buffalo's strategy. You like Superbowls? These guys get them.

Edited by jeffismagic

Why does Pegula have to explain himself to anyone? He doesnt have to disclose how things work behind closed doors. An owner doest have to know as much about football as a coach or about players as a GM to still be involved in decisions. He can have an opinion based on what options and supporting info is presented to him. We dont even know for sure how much Pegula is involved with signing players. Obviously he signed off on Incognito but second and third tier free agents I am guessing he is just informed that they are going to sign them.

Why does Pegula have to explain himself to anyone? He doesnt have to disclose how things work behind closed doors. An owner doest have to know as much about football as a coach or about players as a GM to still be involved in decisions. He can have an opinion based on what options and supporting info is presented to him. We dont even know for sure how much Pegula is involved with signing players. Obviously he signed off on Incognito but second and third tier free agents I am guessing he is just informed that they are going to sign them.

So all these Superbowl winning teams above tell the world and their fans how they operate but the Buffalo Bills are too good to do the same? Wow.

Baltimore Ravens: General manager Ozzie Newsome calls the shots and it's why the organization's mantra is "In Ozzie we trust." But the Ravens' draft room is far from a one-man operation. One of Newsome's strengths is assessing the collective opinion of the room and then making the final call. He takes input from the scouts, coaching staff and his right-hand man in assistant GM Eric DeCosta. Owner Steve Bisciotti has made it known he defers to Newsome (like the time Bisciotti wanted to take cornerback Lito Sheppard over safety Ed Reed in 2002). This marks the 21st draft in which Newsome is the top decision-maker. -- Jamison Hensley

New England Patriots: The Patriots have a smaller-than-the-norm draft room compared to their NFL peers, with coach Bill Belichick relying on director of player personnel Nick Caserio, director of football research Ernie Adams, assistant to the coaching staff Michael Lombardi and director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort, among others. But when it comes time to make the final call, it's Belichick whose opinion trumps all. --

Pittsburgh Steelers: General manager Kevin Colbert gets the call. He has helped direct traffic in the Steelers' war room during the Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin regimes. But Tomlin and Colbert really do make these calls together. Colbert's not going to undercut Tomlin on a pick. Tomlin describes the working relationship as an "old married couple." Since Colbert runs the draft operation, he gets the spotlight. For example, Tomlin handles media duties during the season, and Colbert assumes that role from January to April. Either way, there will be no surprises between these two on

Green Bay Packers: General manager Ted Thompson makes the call. Former Packers president Bob Harlan gave then-GM Ron Wolf full authority over all football decisions when he hired him in 1991 and promised no interference, and current president Mark Murphy has continued that with Thompson. However, as coach Mike McCarthy tells it, Thompson "told me in the beginning he would never force a player on me." So there's input from McCarthy and the scouts, but it's ultimately Thompson's decision.

Denver Broncos: When it comes to personnel decisions, executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway likes discussion, he likes strong opinions and he wants to hear all of the issues involved with any decision. But in the end, Elway is THE team's decision-maker. Mike Sullivan (who handles the team's salary cap and contracts), Matt Russell and Tom Heckert all have strong voices in the process -- and Elway trusts them all -- but Elway breaks the ties and gives the final nod. -

Seattle Seahawks: Having final say was important for Pete Carroll when he decided to give head coaching in the NFL a third try. And he was involved in the hiring of GM John Schneider. Though Carroll is the ultimate authority, the Seahawks appear to be a truly collaborative operation. Schneider and his staff work on the draft year-round, and he has significant influence. Carroll recently called Schneider the best GM in football and says he is the driving force behind acquiring talent. Their partnership has led to 46 regular-season wins over the past four years, the most in the NFC.

New York Giants: Giants GM Jerry Reese leans hard on his scouts, and his coach and owner have lots of input in the draft. But in the end, it's Reese who makes the pick. The Giants have long adhered to a strict separation of powers between the coaching staff and the front office, and as GM, the draft is Reese's purview. If the room is split between two picks, it's Reese who makes the final call, and it has been since he became GM in 2007. --

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both

The best drafting teams disagree with Buffalo's strategy. You like Superbowls? These guys get them.

Ridiculous article rife with speculation and uninformed opinion. The author really had to strain to come up with something fresh for all 32 teams. In fact, there is little difference among teams when it comes to how their drafts are conducted. I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but regardless of who is present in the draft room, if no consensus is reached, Whaley makes the final call on player selections and trades, which he has done since he first sat in the Kirk chair in '13. All GMs lean on their coaching staffs and scouts from the moment they start constructing their boards. And I don't know of any teams that don't have their owners present in the war room on draft day, too.