NFL to eliminate some commercials

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Most likely the only reason they are doing this is because advertisers didn't like the slot. i.e. Everyone left the room after the extra point and didn't come back until after kick off.

They will simply move the commercials or charge more for the more limited space.

But HEY, why not advertise it as if it is a gift to consumers like "tagless underwear" ha ha

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Most likely the only reason they are doing this is because advertisers didn't like the slot. i.e. Everyone left the room after the extra point and didn't come back until after kick off.

They will simply move the commercials or charge more for the more limited space.

But HEY, why not advertise it as if it is a gift to consumers like "tagless underwear" ha ha

They are doing it because advertisers didn't like the dip in ratings. Frequency of commercials is a common complaint as to viewer enjoyment of a telecast game. It's just about getting the ratings up. The spots will be sold regardless.

I got an idea. Move the commercials to halftime. Who pays attention to the halftime reports. I usually switch over to the RedZone Channel.

I think "eliminate" is wrong word - move and consolidate into longer commercials is more likely.

On M & M I heard they might reduce the number but make them longer. They will ask Rodger this AM 8:30 I think they said.

Goddell mentioned this during his Super Bowl presser, I'm surprised more folks aren't excited about it.

very excited! the games were so broken up i had gotten into a routine of channel surfing or web surfing during the frequent, lengthy breaks. really took away from the enjoyment of the game.

the key item goddell mentioned was the "double back" which is just irritating as hail. a set of commercials followed by a brief "check in" with an announcer voiceover and a random stadium shot followed by another set of commercials.

way to go roger!

Most annoying series... TD - replay - commercial - play upheld - XP - commercial - kickoff - commercial

literally 0 seconds of clock time and like 8 minutes of commercials

...if I remember correctly, the average for ALL television is 41 minutes of programming and 19 minutes of commercials for every hour.......not sure of specific NFL stats..........

RedZone

the NFL already owns and operates a COMMERCIAL FREE channel Sundays 1:00 - 8:00PM

whip around coverage ......every touchdown from every game

it's awesome !!

they finish with a Touchdown montage......sometimes 80 TD's

If you have 5.1 sound, you can turn off the center channel which mutes the announcers

I might try this. Makes sense and might be more like being there.

I really hate how the WGR call is never timed up right with the CBS call.

How am I supposed to make truck buying decisions without Denis Leary and generic, non threatening bearded Chevy guy advising me 30 times per hour?

Screw the truck buying decisions, I will no longer know what type of ED pill I'm going to need!

This is how they will 'reduce commercials'

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/las-vegas-raiders-replay-review-overtime-nfl-meetings

I think some advertisers may want to pay less than half though for time.

• Regarding the addition of the “double-box” on the telecasts: NBC has used this on NASCAR while cars are circling the track, and on the Ryder Cup. NFL Network actually, quietly, experimented with the double-box in Week 16 last year, doing a commercial on half the screen and showing a team timeout in Houston-Cincinnati on the other half of the screen. I’d expect this to be used during some replay reviews in 2017, to see if the system works.

• If the NFL is serious about limiting house ads on game telecasts, I’d be all for it. On my podcast this week, I brought it up with Goodell, and he talked about wanting to make the drama the late-game focus, not the league or network promotions. He said, “All of that is great. All of that is drama. That’s what we’re trying to get [networks and league merchandisers] to focus on, rather than seeing a promotion of, ‘This is how you buy a jersey,’ or ‘This is what’s going to be on the network next week.’ And we’re going to address that.”

Personally I think it is a good use of in house ads for NFL including NFLPA spotting efforts of some players in their communities IF THEY USE SUBTITLES and not the type that are shown on top of image on screen.