Kouandjio to LT experiment.

I have read and heard from several places that CK plays better at LT because a previous knee injury hampers him at RT. Does anyone know if this is a fact or not? Seems to me if an NFL player has lingering effects from an injury that reduces his strength in going a certain direction then he would be replaced by someone who has no issues. It isnt like he is an All Pro veteran that even at 75% he is better than most players at his position. Am I wrong?

He's worked very hard in the offseasons to improve as a blocker and actually looked very good as a LT this season.

Physically he's an unusually tall and long armed guy but also a very good run blocker.........a rather rare combo of positives........he's just had a lot of injury issues.......including now a broken hip, which may render this discussion moot if he can't bounce back from that.

Interestingly, we tend to look at him as a guy who needed to play well early because he was drafted for immediate need and his career outlook was pegged as short........but he entered the NFL as a 20 year old and at 23 now he is actually 15 months YOUNGER than 2017 potential first round tackle prospect Garrett Bolles.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn is not moving to RT.

Kouandijo is probably not even making this team based on his injury and the fact he is going to miss all OTAs and he is just average to begin with.

Also, Glenn is likely to be looking for a new contract in 2 years when his guarantees are up and the Bills can opt out of the deal in 2019 if they want to. He will be 30 at the end of this contract so he is going to get another pretty good deal if he keeps up solid LT play. He is not going to like moving to the RT spot for potentially 2 years to weaken his position on a new contract, either with the Bills or another team.

Secondly, let's just say that, magically, CK plays simply average at LT. He needs a new contract next year. Average tackle play for a guy in his mid-20s will cost you roughly 5 - 8 million on the salary cap depending on the contract. So now we are looking at spending between 17 and 21 mil to get an average LT and a great RT. That amount of money invested in both T positions should give you the best T combo in the league, not an average starter at one spot and a great one at the other.

Glenn is not moving to RT. There is no way that is even a consideration. Forget about the money - you don't move an excellent player to accommodate a mediocre one.

CK is in grave danger with the new regime. It is not like he is a pro bowler on the left side and can't get a body on anyone on the right. He needs to show well in camp to have a chance at making the team. We already know six guys who are making the team (last year's five starters plus Groy). Henderson can be carried without a roster spot for the first five games.

I see the Bills addressing RT with another FA signing or a 2nd - 4th round pick depending on their internal evaluation of Mills.

This is where I am WEO. I'm old school, I want my best tackle on the left side. I accept that Kujo and Glenn might be an overall upgrade to the line but it is definitely a downgrade at left tackle. I am open to them having a look at it in pre-season but my preference remains to find an upgrade at RT and leave Glenn well alone.

easier said than done.

I love all the absolutes in this thread, as if anyone has any idea what is going to happen.

LT is not that much more important than the other positions. It is rare a QB takes a 7 step drop anymore. In fact with a QB under 6 feet tall the center and guards are equally important in pass protection.

Mills was terrible in pass protection and most teams will adjust their front 7 to attack the weak link. That said Mills was a very good run blocker and who knows maybe he gets better at pass blocking.

Did anyone see any drop off in play at LT or C when Glenn and Wood were out? We are not even talking about a Pro-Bowl player being moved to put the best five on the field.

If Groy, Henderson, or Kujo are better than Mills at RT or if Mills looks better at pass blocking then everyone will be happy to leave Glenn where he is.

If the best 5 is a healthy and productive Kujo at LT and Glenn at RT I'm all for it.

As for the Glenn won't be happy about it crowd. How does that make any sense? If he excels at RT and makes a ProBowl and it is known he can play LT well then he will get paid. If he sulks and pisses and moans about it, how does that benefit him?

Plus if he bitches about it the Jason Peters haters will have a new guy to hate. See there is something for everyone....

Glenn is not moving to RT. There is no way that is even a consideration. Forget about the money - you don't move an excellent player to accommodate a mediocre one.

CK is in grave danger with the new regime. It is not like he is a pro bowler on the left side and can't get a body on anyone on the right. He needs to show well in camp to have a chance at making the team. We already know six guys who are making the team (last year's five starters plus Groy). Henderson can be carried without a roster spot for the first five games.

I see the Bills addressing RT with another FA signing or a 2nd - 4th round pick depending on their internal evaluation of Mills.

What FA RT is out there any better than a 16 game starter or Groy? The Bills don't have a 4th round pick. By the time the 5th rounders come up, they will essentially be 6th round quality with all the comp picks. I think it very unlikely they use a 2nd or 3rd on a RT given the holes they have to fill. Assuming Glenn stays at LT and Mills does not improve, RT will be addressed in the 2018.

Even a trade down for more picks probably will not yield a RT, as they need multiple DBs, a WR, a QB project, and a LB or two.

easier said than done.

I know. I am just very nervous about moving Glenn. We have tried "passable" at left tackle before and the results were plenty of pass rusher got past them.

We have a left tackle who I believe is comfortably top 10 in the league. I do not want to mess with that unless there is no alternative.

Suppose that the OL is better with Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT than it is with Glenn at LT and Mills at RT...you're telling me that you wouldn't move Glenn because...

Suppose that the OL is better with Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT than it is with Glenn at LT and Mills at RT...you're telling me that you wouldn't move Glenn because...

If that was found to be the case, I would think the coaches would have made that assessment and made the change. If it worked out that way, I'd support it.

I'll submit that any "idea" that we can come up with, I'm sure the coaching staff has already considered and tested.

If that was found to be the case, I would think the coaches would have made that assessment and made the change. If it worked out that way, I'd support it.

I'll submit that any "idea" that we can come up with, I'm sure the coaching staff has already considered and tested.

Forgive me if this sounds snarky, because I don't mean it that way: why would the current coaching staff have made any changes before they can even see these guys in a football setting?

I'm sure it's on the table as a consideration; new coaches have to look at any scenario to make the team better.

This idea that CK can play LT but can't play RT is a bit overblown I feel like. Maybe he just happened to finally develop as a football player while playing LT. I'd be surprised if, going forward, he's this awesome LT and sucks at RT. In fact, I'm calling right now that if he's healthy, he starts the year at RT.

agree. CK says it's because he's played LT his entire career.

Forgive me if this sounds snarky, because I don't mean it that way: why would the current coaching staff have made any changes before they can even see these guys in a football setting?

I'm sure it's on the table as a consideration; new coaches have to look at any scenario to make the team better.

THat's all i'm trying to say... I would imagine it might have been a point of discussion in the previous regime(s) as well.

I heard a great coach once say... you don't play your 5 best, you play your best 5.

Maybe someone can shoot it. What a terrible idea. Demote someone because another person cant do their job. Im sure that will upmotal and protect Taylors blindside.

Good grief...a demotion? How so?

Demotions usually mean less responsibility or money--this means neither.

Not sure if you've been paying much attention, but defenses will always attack the weak link on the OL--it's not difficult to put your best pass rusher over the RT or LT if you want to take advantage of a matchup.

He is between 6th and 10th best in the league to my mind.

Let's say I agree he was 10. How much of a drop off did you see with Kujo at LT? Not much. Therefore you could have a top 10 and let's say a top 15 or at worst top 20 player at both tackle spots. Isn't that better than top 10 LT and possibly worst RT?

Again maybe Groy is better, maybe Mills gets better. But if CK comes back healthy he and Glenn at LT and RT respectively is the best combination to start.