Kouandjio to LT experiment.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are familiar with the situation you would know that they drafted Humphries to play lt. Not right tackle. Doesnt make since to pay Veldheer top ten money and draft Humphries.

During the offseason, it appears the Arizona Cardinals are ready to turn over the starting left tackle job to D.J. Humphries, who filled in very well late in the season when Jared Veldheer went on injured reserve.

It is the position the Cardinals drafted him for and it looks like the switch will be made. Both general manager Steve Keim and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin have suggested that is the way they plan to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/cardswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/23/are-the-cardinals-sure-jare-veldheer-can-play-right-tackle/amp/

But if Veldheer is their best tackle...shouldn't they keep him there? That's your whole point...is it not?

Try this whole reading thing that you're accusing others of not doing...

The Cardinals drafted Humphries with the intention of putting him at lt.

http://raisingzona.com/2017/02/18/arizona-cardinals-d-j-humphries-likely-play-left-tackle-2017/

When we watched him coming out of Florida, we thought he was a natural left tackle. Hes got the feet, the length, the athleticism, the movement skills; all the necessary tools to be a very good left tackle in this league.

They drafted a guy to replace Veldheer. Didnt you read it. There was no experimental conspiracy wird random shuffle thought that makes zero since as you are pontificating.

How much you wanna bet that Cyrus never plays lt for the bills unless its due to injury?

I understand your point Bandit and I am not totally closed minded to it...... for me it is a last resort only though. I am not moving Glenn unless I think there is no alternative way to improve the line. It isn't about money or him moaning it is just about how I value LT as a position. I want my best guy there, always.

That last offensive series versus Seattle.

Watch that again.....you simply can't have a RT playing like that if you have a better option.

But if Veldheer is their best tackle...shouldn't they keep him there? That's your whole point...is it not?

That isnt my point. I never said Veldheer is their top tackle. Clearly the gm stated his intentions were to draft a player to replace Veldheer. Didnt you understand that when their GM said they envisioned him at left tackle. Its clear their intentions were to replace Veldheer.

The Cardinals drafted Humphries with the intention of putting him at lt.

http://raisingzona.com/2017/02/18/arizona-cardinals-d-j-humphries-likely-play-left-tackle-2017/

When we watched him coming out of Florida, we thought he was a natural left tackle. Hes got the feet, the length, the athleticism, the movement skills; all the necessary tools to be a very good left tackle in this league.

They drafted a guy to replace Veldheer. Didnt you read it. There was no experimental conspiracy wird random shuffle thought that makes zero since as you are pontificating.

How much you wanna bet that Cyrus never plays lt for the bills unless its due to injury?

You just trapped yourself...

Why would they move their highest paid OT to the right side?

Even better question: if they drafted Humphries to play LT, then why didn't he play it until Veldheer got injured?

That isnt my point. I never said Veldheer is their top tackle. Clearly the gm stated his intentions were to draft a player to replace Veldheer. Didnt you understand that when their GM said they envisioned him at left tackle. Its clear their intentions were to replace Veldheer.

They gave a 26 year old guy a top-10 LT contract in FA and then drafted his replacement the following offseason?

No.

The article specifically states that they felt he COULD a play LT. Not that he was drafted to play there (else he'd have started there as a rookie--instead he didn't play a snap, and started at RT in year 2)

That last offensive series versus Seattle.

Watch that again.....you simply can't have a RT playing like that if you have a better option.

I can if I think improving it is a minimal gain as against a loss of production at the most important spot on my line.

Even better question: if they drafted Humphries to play LT, then why didn't he play it until Veldheer got injured?

They gave a 26 year old guy a top-10 LT contract in FA and then drafted his replacement the following offseason?

No.

The article specifically states that they felt he COULD a play LT. Not that he was drafted to play there (else he'd have started there as a rookie--instead he didn't play a snap, and started at RT in year 2)

I am going to say Arians and his GM are wrong. Humphries stinks. Veldheer will be back at LT by week 8.

No.

You would would have to ask their gm. He stated they drafted Humphries to play lt. Those were his words. You likely wont see Veldheers on the Cardinals after this year.

The move to right tackle does, however, send signals regarding Veldheers future with the Cardinals. He is signed through the 2018 season, with cap hits in the neighborhood of $10 million per season.

Its exaclty as their gm stated. They planned on drafting veldheers replacement and they did.

No.

They drafted a replacement for a player who will eat 10 mil of cap and will turn 30 this year in the final year of his contract. Isnt hard to understand the GMs statement.

Read the entirety of the article. Do you want me to send their gm an email to confirm what he stated in the interview?

Are you now saying that when the gm stated. When we drafted D.J., he was anatural left tackle coming on. Not only his body type, his movement skills, his natural bend and athleticism."

As for why Humphries didnt start this past year from his own mouth:

"This type of team, what they demand from a player, I wasnt ready to give that to the team last year, said Humphries, who added he grew numb to sitting each week. But mentally growing a year old, you learn to accept those roles and learn what people look from you.

Unless of course you are going to say he didnt mean that.

I am going to say Arians and his GM are wrong. Humphries stinks. Veldheer will be back at LT by week 8.

As it happens, I agree with you.

They drafted a replacement for a player who will eat 10 mil of cap and will turn 30 this year in the final year of his contract. Isnt hard to understand the GMs statement.

Read the entirety of the article. Do you want me to send their gm an email to confirm what he stated in the interview?

Are you now saying that when the gm stated. When we drafted D.J., he was anatural left tackle coming on. Not only his body type, his movement skills, his natural bend and athleticism."

As for why Humphries didnt start this past year from his own mouth:

"This type of team, what they demand from a player, I wasnt ready to give that to the team last year, said Humphries, who added he grew numb to sitting each week. But mentally growing a year old, you learn to accept those roles and learn what people look from you.

Unless of course you are going to say he didnt mean that.

No, they drafted Humphries because he was the highest-rated player on their board. So spake their GM:

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/13917/cardinals-draft-d-j-humphries-with-future-in-mind

In fact, that article states that he was drafted to take over at RT for Bobbie Massie...

"Massie is accustomed to fighting for his job and again will be in a battle for his future. But with one year left on his rookie contract, Arizona needed to start building for the future. And the solution stands 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds in Humphries."

Kudos to you if you can find a single mention of him playing LT at the time he was drafted--I wonder why that's coming out now :lol:

I really like that you're changing the entire scope of the discussion here: you began by saying that you don't move an entrenched LT out of that spot under any circumstances, and that you don't move a guy being paid as LT to RT. Now that you've been shown that it happens, you're literally making up reasons to support it.

But by all means, keep on with this narrative that you don't ever move a LT...even if it makes you better.

As it happens, I agree with you.

No, they drafted Humphries because he was the highest-rated player on their board. So spake their GM:

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/13917/cardinals-draft-d-j-humphries-with-future-in-mind

In fact, that article states that he was drafted to take over at RT for Bobbie Massie...

"Massie is accustomed to fighting for his job and again will be in a battle for his future. But with one year left on his rookie contract, Arizona needed to start building for the future. And the solution stands 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds in Humphries."

Kudos to you if you can find a single mention of him playing LT at the time he was drafted--I wonder why that's coming out now :lol:

I really like that you're changing the entire scope of the discussion here: you began by saying that you don't move an entrenched LT out of that spot under any circumstances, and that you don't move a guy being paid as LT to RT. Now that you've been shown that it happens, you're literally making up reasons to support it.

But by all means, keep on with this narrative that you don't ever move a LT...even if it makes you better.

The gm stated they drafted him as they envisioned him as a natural lt. Veldheers cap hit is 10 mil will be 30 this year and is in the last year of his contract.

Ill finish with this, I will revisit this thread with a i told you so when Glenn is firmly entrenched as the starting lt for the buffalo bills come football season and Cyrus is either a rt or backup swing tackle not even cracking the starting lineup. At that point I hope it wont be so hard for you.

The gm stated they drafted him as they envisioned him as a natural lt. Veldheers cap hit is 10 mil will be 30 this year and is in the last year of his contract.

Ill finish with this, I will revisit this thread with a i told you so when Glenn is firmly entrenched as the starting lt for the buffalo bills come football season and Cyrus is either a rt or backup swing tackle not even cracking the starting lineup. At that point I hope it wont be so hard for you.

You STILL find yourself unable to follow the discussion.

The point here isn't that the OL is definitely better with Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT; it's that it COULD be better that way.

The reason that you were taken to task is that you provided a hilariously misguided take that its tantamount to heresy to consider moving a LT for a season, not that you think that the OL will be better with Glenn at LT.

So an "I told you so" if Glenn stays at LT and Kouandjio doesn't start would be a literal admission that you couldn't follow the discussion.

On the other hand, if we hear during the offseason that the team has explored the idea of moving Glenn, well, that would certainly be an indictment of your thought process

With the Bills strapped for cap space (i.e. they're having a tough time signing a vet FA RT) and with only six draft picks (R1,R2,R3,R5,R5,R6) it may be wise for this new coaching staff to seriously consider placing Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT rather than going with the more conventional Glenn at LT and Mills at RT.

Mills was a turnstile at RT last year, arguably the worst RT in the league. That needs to be improved upon.

I know that Glenn is being paid like a LT, and therein lies the rub for the Bills' front office. But the bottom line is that the Bills should be putting the best players on the field if they hope to win more games.

Because of Kouandjio's prior knee injury, he doesn't play RT very well. However, he does seem to play LT very well.

Possible scenarios:

Glenn - LT/Mills - RT

Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT

Glenn - LT/Ducasse - RT

Glenn - LT/Groy - RT

There are a lot of possibilities but I think that the Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT experiment is at least worth exploring because it may prove to be the most successful.

Your thoughts.

My thoughts are that it will never happen, he would be the highest paid RT in history by a good margin, the RT position just needs adequate play, we don't even need a player to be elite just competent, it's sad that we can't even find that on the right side.

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/kouandjio-involved-bizarre-incident-police/

"According to a police source, Kouandjio was found, not fully clothed, in a field after climbing over an electric fence. When an Erie County Sheriff's deputy went to detain him, the source said, the 6-foot-7, 322-pound Kouandjio yelled, "Shoot me!"

That sure screams left tackle material to me. There is a reason a second round draftee isnt a starter in a position of dire need.

I am all for trying Cyrus at LT and Cordy at RT. That's what leaders and high paid players should be willing to do, bite the bullet to field the best all around team. To be painfully obvious, observe basic economics and put the person with an absolute advantage at RT and Cyrus with the comparative advantage at LT.

I sent this bizarre story to my brother and the first thing he said was, sounds like bath salts. What the hell Cyrus? Hope you are okay.

I am all for trying Cyrus at LT and Cordy at RT. That's what leaders and high paid players should be willing to do, bite the bullet to field the best all around team. To be painfully obvious, observe basic economics and put the person with an absolute advantage at RT and Cyrus with the comparative advantage at LT.

I sent this bizarre story to my brother and the first thing he said was, sounds like bath salts. What the hell Cyrus? Hope you are okay.

Yeah, I certainly hope our HC puts a terrible rt that is mentally disturbed to protect the qbs blindside of my favorite team. Somehow I dont think Ill have to worry much about that. Just hope the kid can get some help and move on with his life.