MMQB: why Kaepernick and RGIII not on NFL rosters

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a good article

I posted this in another thread that Kaep would make an ideal backup to TT this year if the $$$ is reasonable

Not as assured about RG3 but I also wouldn't rule it out

jc

He wouldn't make an ideal backup for the Bills. A rookie is the only ideal backup for a team that doesn't have a franchise QB.

The biggest trick the Kaep ever pulled was convincing the world there was more to him than just a knee.

He's not on a roster for the same reason I'm not on a roster: he's not good enough.

Ditto with RG3 but this is not news.

Hindsight is 20/20.

It's absolutely hilarious the universal hype both of those guys got back in 2012 constantly being touted as the future of the NFL and as Elite players.

Very few (if any) were predicting a precipitous decline for either guy because they were already "Elite."

Now look at all the backtracking.

Same thing but in the opposite trajectory for Kirk Cousins.

The NFL is so year to year and unpredictable. That's why I think everyone who makes such factual predictions are so funny.

You don't know.

None of us do.

In fact, I'll make a prediction just for fun that I think will further demonstrate how fickle the NFL is if it happens. It's only a prediction, not me prophesizing:

Matt Ryan is going to struggle next year to a degree where questions will rise as to whether he really deserves the "Elite" moniker he was given this year or if he was just elevated significantly in Kyle Shanahan's system.

Unless its the Bills, who go to great lengths to accommodate Tyrod Taylors similar pocket-passing woes, no offense will be a natural fit for Kaepernick or Griffin

....and that's why 8-8 is the ceiling

Edited by uticaclub

The biggest trick the Kaep ever pulled was convincing the world there was more to him than just a knee.

He's not on a roster for the same reason I'm not on a roster: he's not good enough.

Ditto with RG3 but this is not news.

You do realize the following QBs were signed by new teams: EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Chase Daniels, and...

You get where I'm going? He's not an NFL team because owners and GMs are scared of what the media will do if they pick him up. Plain and simple. RGIII isn't on a team because he's glass joe.

This isn't really rocket science guys. In a perfect world, he is the perfect backup for Tyrod, but it ain't happening. We could easily carry 4 QBs on the roster and practice squad one guy if need be, I mean, it's not like we have a spot dedicated to kicker 2.0 anymore.

You do realize the following QBs were signed by new teams: EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Chase Daniels, and...

You get where I'm going? He's not an NFL team because owners and GMs are scared of what the media will do if they pick him up. Plain and simple. RGIII isn't on a team because he's glass joe.

This isn't really rocket science guys. In a perfect world, he is the perfect backup for Tyrod, but it ain't happening. We could easily carry 4 QBs on the roster and practice squad one guy if need be, I mean, it's not like we have a spot dedicated to kicker 2.0 anymore.

GMs are scared of what the media? too funny. Is their name DT?

It's a great article that is spot on. The NFL is moving back to pocket passers and they should.

Isn't it cyclical? Every now and then the NFL goes through phases where a few teams have running QB's.

The defenses adapt and then they switch back.

Hindsight is 20/20.

It's absolutely hilarious the universal hype both of those guys got back in 2012 constantly being touted as the future of the NFL and as Elite players.

Very few (if any) were predicting a precipitous decline for either guy because they were already "Elite."

The NFL is so year to year and unpredictable. That's why I think everyone who makes such factual predictions are so funny.

You don't know.

None of us do.

In fact, I'll make a prediction just for fun that I think will further demonstrate how fickle the NFL is if it happens. It's only a prediction, not me prophesizing:

Matt Ryan is going to struggle next year to a degree where questions will rise as to whether he really deserves the "Elite" moniker he was given this year or if he was just elevated significantly in Kyle Shanahan's system.

I have no doubt that Matt Ryan is a good QB. Who he has around him and coaching has a lot to do with that as well. To that point Shanahan and Ryan were only together for 2 seasons. Matt Ryan was good before Shanny.

Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Michael Turner were a good trio 5 - 6 years back.

I don't think the NFL is moving back toward traditional pocket passers. The NFL has been moving toward the hybrid qb that has the ability to do both. Look at the top 4 qb prospects. All have the ability to run, some with speed and others with a little more power.

There are very few traditional pocket passers that come from the college ranks anymore. You just dont see the rivers, manning, brady types coming out. Maybe the last group would be flacco/ryan but that was almost a decade ago.

The ideal passer is Rodgers who is able to run and pass (with the emphasis being more on the pass). Look at the younger qbs like Mariotta, Luck, Newton, Wilson. All have the ability to do both to varying degrees. Even guys like Stafford and Ryan trained to get quicker and had probably their best years.

The trick is finding that player. In the meantime, tyrod is not a bad option. He fits more closely to RGIII and Kap but tt is more elusive and durable than Griffin and he has a more compact delivery and more touch than kap. Plus he throws well on the run. So while we would all want our qb to rely more on the pass you have to play to your qbs strengths and that happens to be mobility with tt and the ability to stretch a defense vertically with his deep ball.

Edited by racketmaster

GMs are scared of what the media? too funny. Is their name DT?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but as soon as he would sign somewhere ESPN, CBS, NBC, and all of the above would errupt. There would be fan interviews and heads exploding left and right.

This is a pretty meh article.

Pocket passers are better because NFL defenses are really fast. Wow. Pretty groundbreaking.

So when a non-pocket passer goes to the Superbowl again (literally happened 3 years ago) what are the articles gonna to say then?

Stephen A. Smith would say that Kaepernick is being blacklisted. I would simply say that he's an average quarterback, wanting more than average money, that poses the threat of being more of a distraction than a benefit to any team that he would sign with. As for his trip to the Superbowl, he can thank then #2 defense in the NFL. Many average QB's that will never sniff the HOF have gone to the Superbowl and some have won it by virtue of their defense. Kaepernick's situation is really most similar to Vick when he got out of jail. Both flashed talent early in their career. Vick had a challenge finding a starting role again after his off the field issues, with many teams simply taking a pass on him due to the possibility of being a detriment to the team. The NFL is, after all, a business and a big one at that. Ignoring the business end of a snake will only get you bit.

Kaep had some success in the same scheme that Tyrod has. It is designed to hide the weaknesses of a Quarterback, especially one who is indecisive in the pocket and doesn't see the field well. I think if he added the muscle back and got back in his Superbowl shape Kaep could still be at least a decent backup. Question is whether he is willing to.

RGIII is different. He is a 1 read quarterback who sometimes struggles to even make the read. I always remember in his 2nd year a piece Kurt Warner did on him that showed Washington were still scheming to make it as easy as possible on him he just wasn't reading the one guy he needed to read. Didn't understand what he was seeing. I think that yes the injury hurt and yes rushing him back didn't help but in reality I think the mental transition proved too much for RGIII. Once he was asked to do more from the shoulders up he failed.

I don't think the NFL is moving back toward traditional pocket passers. The NFL has been moving toward the hybrid qb that has the ability to do both. Look at the top 4 qb prospects. All have the ability to run, some with speed and others with a little more power.

There are very few traditional pocket passers that come from the college ranks anymore. You just dont see the rivers, manning, brady types coming out. Maybe the last group would be flacco/ryan but that was almost a decade ago.

The ideal passer is Rodgers who is able to run and pass (with the emphasis being more on the pass). Look at the younger qbs like Mariotta, Luck, Newton, Wilson. All have the ability to do both to varying degrees. Even guys like Stafford and Ryan trained to get quicker and had probably their best years.

The trick is finding that player. In the meantime, tyrod is not a bad option. He fits more closely to RGIII and Kap but tt is more elusive and durable than Griffin and he has a more compact delivery and more touch than kap. Plus he throws well on the run. So while we would all want our qb to rely more on the pass you have to play to your qbs strengths and that happens to be mobility with tt and the ability to stretch a defense vertically with his deep ball.

I was listening to Sirius on the way home about 2 days ago and they said they are hearing from GM's they are moving away from "Mobile" QB's. Move in the pocket some sure of course, get 5-10 yards if you need to fine. But they want guys who can stand in the pocket, read defenses and throw with anticipation.

For all the "they are hard to defend" BS only one has really went to a superbowl and that is Wilson. But He still knows how to read defenses and looks to throw first.

Kaep had some success in the same scheme that Tyrod has. It is designed to hide the weaknesses of a Quarterback, especially one who is indecisive in the pocket and doesn't see the field well. I think if he added the muscle back and got back in his Superbowl shape Kaep could still be at least a decent backup. Question is whether he is willing to.

RGIII is different. He is a 1 read quarterback who sometimes struggles to even make the read. I always remember in his 2nd year a piece Kurt Warner did on him that showed Washington were still scheming to make it as easy as possible on him he just wasn't reading the one guy he needed to read. Didn't understand what he was seeing. I think that yes the injury hurt and yes rushing him back didn't help but in reality I think the mental transition proved too much for RGIII. Once he was asked to do more from the shoulders up he failed.

Taylor. Kaep, RGIII are running RB's who can throw. Sorry there is no getting around this. We need a true Quarterback

Hindsight is 20/20.

You don't know.

None of us do.

Huh?

Taylor. Kaep, RGIII are running RB's who can throw. Sorry there is no getting around this. We need a true Quarterback

Taylor is better than RGIII and better than this broken down version of Kaep. But he isn't the answer, my view on that is well known.

The question was about the future of those 2 players. I only mentioned Tyrod because there are some similarities with the way he has had some success (however limited) and the success Kaep had in the same offense.