Zach Brown visiting Bills

Honestly none of those guys strike me as scheme fits for McD's defense. The Cover-2 / Zone defense basically requires freaks at linebacker who can cover A LOT of field (Thomas Davis / Keuchley / Shaq Thompson are all slightly undersized for traditional linebackers but can really run). Zach is the closest to that model of the entire bunch, but he played in a somewhat similar scheme in Tennessee and really wasn't that successful. I really worry about overpaying him off his career year for a scheme he may not be great in. The real shame is Kiko and Bradham would likely have been pretty nice fits in McD's scheme, but Rex had no use for them.

Thats the problem with constant scheme switches

McD isnt going to plug every hole on defense in the first year of transition...we have to do the best with what we have. Sometimes that means players playing positions in a D they arent ideally fit for (but they COULD blossom into it given time and coaching - if they have the acumen for it). LB right now seems to be an area that fits this bill...maybe we wont find what we need in the draft and will have to "make do" for this season and hope to fill those spots in FA or draft next year.

You cannot always fill all your needs, even in the best of situations. We changed schemes (yet again) so its going to take more than one offseason to build that D...

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a solid season with the Eagles last year under Schwartz. I would have preferred him over P. Brown.

Lets not forget .

Preston Brown was drafted in the third round out of Louisville in 2014 and was expected to be a backup behind the starting trio of Kiko Alonso, Brandon Spikes, and Nigel Bradham. A season-ending injury to Alonso, however, meant he was pushed into the starting lineup sooner than expected and tallied 94% of the team’s defensive snaps on the year, the highest percentage on the Bills’ defense.

Grading out 15th overall among 4-3 outside linebackers, Brown’s season mark of +3.9 was held down by a pair of poor performances. Looking past those two games (Week 1 and Week 16, both ends of the season, understandable for a rookie), Brown notched a +11.5 grade over the other 14 contests.

There are two clear strengths to Brown’s game: the first is as a coverage defender and the second as a pure tackler. Posting impressive numbers when in coverage, he allowed just 0.57 yards per coverage snap, which was third-best for all off-ball linebackers and his +3.6 coverage grade came in 11th among all 4-3 OLBs and ILBs combined. The moments he showed some struggle in coverage were nearly all down to over-aggressiveness in reacting up to the run first and having trouble getting back to find his zone. Certainly a fixable issue.

Missing only six tackles on the year while making good on 67 left Brown with a combined Tackling Efficiency (attempts per miss) of 16.5; ninth-best for off-ball LBs. In the passing game he missed just one against 31 total made, with 13 of those counting as defensive stops.

A late-season lull against the run (-6.3 grade in run defense over the final four weeks) cooled what was shaping up as a strong season in that department. On 356 snaps in the run game Brown posted 26 stops (36th at the position), relying on his ability to attack downhill. Also comfortable meeting the lead blocker in the hole to redirect runners, Brown only found difficulty when he was more reactive and let offensive lineman get their hands on him early.

It will be interesting to see how Rex Ryan employs Brown as an inside linebacker. Ryan likes to blitz his ILBs — not something Brown excelled at as a rookie. On 48 pass rushes in 2014, he managed just four total pressures.

The big question for Brown heading into the 2015 season will be whether the last four games of 2014 showed a lack of endurance, or if he was figured out. The next, of course, will be how well he can handle moving to an inside spot in a 3-4 scheme. Regardless, he has shown promise in key areas, proven he belongs as a starter in the league, and should have the opportunity to continue improving.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/secret-superstar-buffalo-bills/

Thats the problem with constant scheme switches

McD isnt going to plug every hole on defense in the first year of transition...we have to do the best with what we have. Sometimes that means players playing positions in a D they arent ideally fit for (but they COULD blossom into it given time and coaching - if they have the acumen for it). LB right now seems to be an area that fits this bill...maybe we wont find what we need in the draft and will have to "make do" for this season and hope to fill those spots in FA or draft next year.

You cannot always fill all your needs, even in the best of situations. We changed schemes (yet again) so its going to take more than one offseason to build that D...

That's what I've been saying all offseason. We have people on here hyper concerned about filling our holes at WR, RT, QB, LB, S, CB with 6 draft picks. The simple answer is we aren't going to fill them. I think it's pretty clear this is going to set up as a growing pains year, there was little reason to cut guys like Aaron Williams and Graham and sitting on cap space that could have signed a difference maker or two if the team has any sort of realistic ideas of making a playoff push. There's going to be a lot of young guys competing for major roles on the roster and that (combined with a tough schedule) is going to cost us games, but hopefully it was also result in having cheap young depth all over the roster, a couple of guys really breaking out and a better foundation moving forward.

I believe Zach Brown is looked at as a guy who it would be nice to have, but not someone we are going to beat the highest offer on the table to retain. I honestly can't blame Zach for attempting to cash in coming off a "pro bowl" year, but it seems the league is pretty wise to what he was for his entire career before last year.

That's what I've been saying all offseason. We have people on here hyper concerned about filling our holes at WR, RT, QB, LB, S, CB with 6 draft picks. The simple answer is we aren't going to fill them. I think it's pretty clear this is going to set up as a growing pains year, there was little reason to cut guys like Aaron Williams and Graham and sitting on cap space that could have signed a difference maker or two if the team has any sort of realistic ideas of making a playoff push. There's going to be a lot of young guys competing for major roles on the roster and that (combined with a tough schedule) is going to cost us games, but hopefully it was also result in having cheap young depth all over the roster, a couple of guys really breaking out and a better foundation moving forward.

I believe Zach Brown is looked at as a guy who it would be nice to have, but not someone we are going to beat the highest offer on the table to retain. I honestly can't blame Zach for attempting to cash in coming off a "pro bowl" year, but it seems the league is pretty wise to what he was for his entire career before last year.

I think it will be a year of growing pains for sure, but I dont think that means we wont be "in the hunt"...we improved on D just by jettisoning the fat ass and his old defensive ideas. Offense should remain elite at running the ball, and the passing game can go nowhere but up (or stay terrible, in which case it still got the job done last year)

What is the difference between players that play with heart and give it their ALL most every game and those who half heartedly show up and half way through, check out?

One player goes to work for $$ and the other goes to work for the TEAM.

I'm pretty sure most fans would prefer that their team CARES about winning and that every player gives their all.

If any offer was even close to what Zach wanted, he would have grabbed it. NOW he is forced to SETTLE for LESS than he thinks he is worth.

THAT is where people feel taken advantage of and become resentful.

I can tell you from my experience that every single athlete in the world's number 1 priority is taking care of their family. There is not a person in sports that goes to work for "the team" first. These guys make a lot of money in a short period of time. Their earning window is small.

You will occasionally see a well established guy with lots of money take a little less (for a year) to try to chase a championship. That is the exception and not the rule. A player needs to maximize his income and a team needs to set what they believe is a fair market value and stick to it. In no way will I ever criticize someone for trying to make more money. That is the EXACT same thing that all of us do in our jobs.

I can tell you from my experience that every single athlete in the world's number 1 priority is taking care of their family. There is not a person in sports that goes to work for "the team" first. These guys make a lot of money in a short period of time. Their earning window is small.

You will occasionally see a well established guy with lots of money take a little less (for a year) to try to chase a championship. That is the exception and not the rule. A player needs to maximize his income and a team needs to set what they believe is a fair market value and stick to it. In no way will I ever criticize someone for trying to make more money. That is the EXACT same thing that all of us do in our jobs.

An athlete's career, if he's lucky, is the lifespan of a dog. I don't blame them for maximizing their earning potential, but I allow myself the irrational anger when it means they don't sign with the red, white, and blue.

Attitude is everything in sports.

We certainly have had our share of players that did not want to be here - and it SHOWED.

I am not saying that players should not get paid. You are very right that players be concerned about family and the paycheck.

I am saying IF Zach over values himself AND no team will pay anywhere near what he thinks he is worth he will be forced to take a lesser offer than he feels he deserves. He will HAVE to take the "lowball" offer or not play.

It is THAT circumtance right there that will cause a resentful attitude and THAT will effect his play in 2018.

People who feel they are under paid do one of two things. They quit or they produce only what they think they are being paid for. The latter is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Edited by cd1

There's a huge difference between a player "trying to maximize their earnings" and a player who just isn't interested in playing for your team and using you as a pawn. It's fairly easy to distinguish the two and all parties will win in the end no matter the outcome.

People who feel they are under paid do one of two things. They quit or they produce only what they think they are being paid for. The latter is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Yeah but in the NFL - they have incentive laden contracts to counteract that. Which is almost certain to be the type of contract he would get from us.

You wanna get paid? You produce. You don't produce? You won't get paid much. Simple.

THE TWEETS!

YES, you would think that Zach would tell his buddies to knock it off.

Maybe it is really some sophmoric attempt at manipulating the end $$$$ amount.

REALLY, what was that with PB's tweets? A grown man PUBLICALLY acting like a schoolgirl with a crush. WHY public? Why not call your buddy on that thing called a telephone and "beg" him to come back?

This all sounds too contrived to be real.

THE TWEETS!

REALLY, what was that with PB's tweets? A grown man PUBLICALLY acting like a schoolgirl with a crush. WHY public? Why not call your buddy on that thing called a telephone and "beg" him to come back?

Needed the Billsmafia to pour on the all out assault to get him to come back? Strength in numbers?

It was a little over the top but funny. Especially the Jimmy Butler Gif lol.

THE TWEETS!

i think Preston was just being funny. I'm sure he's talked to him. And he plays with him and wants him on the team.. but the Womble guy - wth is his motive?