Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really realize how bad our 1st round record is until this thread. Manuel to me is the absolute worst but there are many you can make a strong case for. I didnt read the last couple pages but didn't see Phil Dokes 1977 , who was pretty invisible, mentioned.

Edited by Dante

I didn't really realize how bad our 1st round record is until this thread. Manuel to me is the absolute worst but there are many you can make a strong case for. I didnt read the last couple pages but didn't see Phil Dokes 1977 , who was pretty invisible, mentioned.

15 pages and I've learned a lot...

Mostly that this team has crippled itself. Regime to Regime. Here's to hoping McD turns this team around.

I also feel like the Buffalo Bills fan base is simply incredible. We are all still here following this team as bad got to worse. Cant wait until we make the playoffs. For once we can atleast celebrate together and get the monkey off our backs.

This is tough because we've had so many terrible picks.

I'm gonna go with Losman though for a couple of reasons.

1) If it wasn't for Losman I don't think we draft Lee Evans 13th overall, and instead trade up ahead of Pittsburgh for Big Ben.

2) Also if we weren't able to trade up for Big Ben, and didn't make the trade for Losman, we would've had our 2006 1st round pick... and guess who we could've used that pick on? Arron Rodgers.

So Losman essentially cost us either Ben Roethlisberger or Arron Rodgers.

It's pretty clear Losman was the worst pick in franchise history.

Edited by Klaista2k

This is tough because we've had so many terrible picks.

I'm gonna go with Losman though for a couple of reasons.

1) If it wasn't for Losman I don't think we draft Lee Evans 13th overall, and instead trade up ahead of Pittsburgh for Big Ben.

2) Also if we weren't able to trade up for Big Ben, and didn't make the trade for Losman, we would've had our 2006 1st round pick... and guess who we could've used that pick on? Arron Rodgers.

So Losman essentially cost us either Ben Roethlisberger or Arron Rodgers.

It's pretty clear Losman was the worst pick in franchise history.

I was going toss up between Manuel and Losman but you convinced me. I don't know how bad the pick was at the time (I read somewhere that the Bills thought Losman was the best QB in that draft) but that selection, given all the alternate scenarios that could have played out, probably set the franchise back more than any other single pick.

Actually only McKinnie was considered a can't miss........he'd been considered a possible #1 overall pick from the time the prior drafted ended.........but Donahoe got cute.

As a right tackle for a team that rarely passed the ball at Texas Mike Williams wasn't even on the radar to be picked that high until well into the postseason draft process.

That November Shout Magazine went to print with a big picture of McKinnie on the cover......I believe that was the only time they'd ever done anything like that IN SEASON........the media was all penning him in as THE pick........Donahoe was very offended that people were making the pick for him........and then he subsequently f*cked it up by NOT picking the long time quality NFL LT McKinnie.

My signature was "Draft McKinnie" in those days. I was up in Buffalo for a weekend and saw McKinnie absolutely destroy Freeney in a college game. He stomped him into the ground.

McKinnie could have been a better player. He wasn't a model citizen but he was a fine left tackle. The Bills would have had playoff appearances if they had drafted McKinnie instead of Mike Williams.

And I still think Whitner was a worse pick. Of course jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

CJ Spiller was a good football player for the Bills. This is the dumbest thread ever. And Mike Williams was a no-brainer pick, can't hold that one against the Bills. I hold Torell Troup and TJ Graham against the Bills.

Well we did pick Mike Williams over Bryant McKinney who was all pro at tackle for over a decade. Actually Walt Patulski has pretty much locked up the worst pick title. I would nominate our very first pick, quarterback Richie Lucas. We seem to have a lot of contenders.

Again dating myself, but Bills drafted Ernie Davis, and Lance Alworth was still on the board, Not sure if Kemp could have thrown that far, but 0 vs. HOF is a pretty bad first round pick...

Lamonica could have. Or was that before "the trade"?

None of this is being disputed.

Hell, Gilmore wanted out of Buffalo the moment he was drafted :lol: ...........and yet they made him play out his deal.

Can you actually not tell the difference between your own opinions and facts, or do you just think it's cool to play this role on internet forums?

1977 Phil Dokes DT from Oklahoma State

Gov Chris Christie had a better physique and was in better condition than Dokes when he came to training camp. Dom Delouise at his biggest and Rosie O'Donnel were more svelte than the porker from Oklahoma.

Edited by JohnC

Again dating myself, but Bills drafted Ernie Davis, and Lance Alworth was still on the board, Not sure if Kemp could have thrown that far, but 0 vs. HOF is a pretty bad first round pick...

Ernie Davis would have been a great pro but got sick. Would that make Carl Eller a bad pick? He never did anything for the Bills.

Can you actually not tell the difference between your own opinions and facts, or do you just think it's cool to play this role on internet forums?

Some of you are just inexplicably naive about the subject.

When Marv took over as GM he said he wanted players who wanted to be Buffalo Bills............and he soon had a stack of parole requests....Clements talked him into waiving the franchise tag...and Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee......even Takeo Spikes who was recruited by loving Bills fans all asked for and received trades.

That was blood in the water for that shark Eugene Parker.....a team that accommodating was an easy mark......which lead to the Peters and Byrd sagas......as well as Schobel quitting because he only wanted to play for a losing team if he could stay home in Texas during the week and just show up for games. :lol:

It was UTTERLY out of control........and Lynch was the last one permitted to leave.........since then, players have been forced to play out their sentence........and they know that's how it's going to be so they don't bother with the theatrics.

Edited by #BADOL

Some of you are just inexplicably naive about the subject.

When Marv took over as GM he said he wanted players who wanted to be Buffalo Bills............and he soon had a stack of parole requests....Clements talked him into waiving the franchise tag...and Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee......even Takeo Spikes who was recruited by loving Bills fans all asked for and received trades.

That was blood in the water for that shark Eugene Parker.....a team that accommodating was an easy mark......which lead to the Peters and Byrd sagas......as well as Schobel quitting because he only wanted to play for a losing team if he could stay home in Texas during the week and just show up for games. :lol:

It was UTTERLY out of control........and Lynch was the last one permitted to leave.........since then, players have been forced to play out their sentence........and they know that's how it's going to be so they don't bother with the theatrics.

So... You're drunk?

Please continue to pass off more opinions as facts to educate the rest of us.

Don't bother with proof, you're obviously above that.