Tyrod Taylor's '16 season with context

cover1

A lot of times we as fans criticize players on their play or style of play but fail to recognize the context of their play within the scope of the offense. I am currently going through scouting school at the Scouting Academy and the first thing they teach is context. So we wanted to analyze TT's play within the context of the offense-what it asked of him. Then to figure out where and how he could have been better or better utilized. Rylan charted the entire 2016 season and this is what he found. After reading this, I am sure you can see why he was brought back to be paired with Rick Dennison.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/tyrod-taylors-2016-passing-campaign-misinterpreted-misused/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this. Man, is the qb position ever complex.

Sounds like Lynn might have blown it, though. This is the kind of analysis that a coaching staff should be doing.

I had high hopes for Taylor after the way he finished '15. Hopefully we see him really excel under the new staff.

This is good stuff, thanks. I had a sneaking suspicion that Tyrod's down season was the result a combination of bad coaching and injuries...question for OP - are you confident the new regime is seeing this and will adjust?

You all should follow this guy in Twitter...he's always posting stuff like this.

Heads will explode....

As they ought to...

... Dennison is known for having quarterbacks under center, while also utilizing play action and deep drop backs. This plays right into the areas where Tyrod Taylor excels as a passer. With these two paired together, it is reasonable to expect a much better passing attack out of the Buffalo Bills in 2017.

Great to hear!

Hand meet glove...

Edited by cd1

A lot of times we as fans criticize players on their play or style of play but fail to recognize the context of their play within the scope of the offense. I am currently going through scouting school at the Scouting Academy and the first thing they teach is context. So we wanted to analyze TT's play within the context of the offense-what it asked of him. Then to figure out where and how he could have been better or better utilized. Rylan charted the entire 2016 season and this is what he found. After reading this, I am sure you can see why he was brought back to be paired with Rick Dennison.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/03/tyrod-taylors-2016-passing-campaign-misinterpreted-misused/

How do you like the Scouting Academy? What are the most eye-opening or surprising things you're learning there?

Another post you had done on TT I did not think much of. This one should be a sticky, or required reading for anyone before a TT post

Nice work, good job :thumbsup:

he sure did take a lot of sacks for the number of plays under center, no? and throw the ball away a high percentage.

did you find that he was progressing in his reads and actually getting things out in rhythm that well under center, or just a small sample size skewing positive in part by luck/chance/situationally?

Edited by NoSaint

he sure did take a lot of sacks for the number of plays under center, no? and throw the ball away a high percentage.

did you find that he was progressing in his reads and actually getting things out in rhythm that well under center, or just a small sample size skewing positive in part by luck/chance/situationally?

Found that interesting as well, 8 sacks on 46 attempts from center seems a bit high.

for perspective -- 46 passes for 404 yards is more or less on the high end for a shoot out gunslinger day (brees averaged 42 per game last year).

if i told you that came with 8 sacks and 7 balls thrown away -- that is a huge red flag for a set that small.

Was our protection considerably worse in those situations? or TT not doing something right in the pocket?

Edited by NoSaint

you can put his play in any context you want. it is possible to spin stats in any direction you please.

however,the facts all remain the same:

1. He cannot throw an accurate 10-15 yard out pattern. They float - and sail out of bounds more than they should. Which leads to...

2. He is a low velocity thrower - he will never be strong at throwing receivers open. He can float a nice deep ball - but dont confuse that with arm strength.

3. His pocket presence is below average. His sack rate is high because of this - not because he scrambles so much. Watch the tape and watch where he steps in the pocket when under duress. He chooses to step up, left or right incorrectly very very often.

Tyrod is fine. That is all. His stat line last year will be his stat line every year so long as he plays in a safe, run first offense where the defense stacks the box. Anytime he faces a pass protect D...he struggles.

Why else would Tyrod agree to the contract restructure he did if anyone in the league saw him as something better than his stat suggested? If there were better offers coming, he would have forced the Bills to cut him or take his contract as is (locking him in for 3 years, not 2).

Tyrod is fine...so we all better hope we have a Top 5 D in the next year or two...or 8-8 will be the average.

for perspective -- 46 passes for 404 yards is more or less on the high end for a shoot out gunslinger day (brees averaged 42 per game last year).

if i told you that came with 8 sacks and 7 balls thrown away -- that is a huge red flag for a set that small.

Was our protection considerably worse in those situations? or TT not doing something right in the pocket?

Two words: Jordan Mills