Buffalo Bills salary cap space not an issue after first wave

JM2009

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-2017/2017/3/12/14898478/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-space-first-wave-nfl-free-agency

Buffalo Bills salary cap space not an issue after first wave of free agency
The Bills have more cap space than they can spend.
by Matt Warren Mar 12, 2017, 10:45am EDT

The Buffalo Bills available amount of salary cap space has fluctuated massively over the last week, but keeps returning to about the same level when all is said and done. Between players they signed, players they released, and Tyrod Taylor’s contract restructure, the needle has moved all over the place but keeps settling around the $20 million mark.

Setting the table

A week ago, Buffalo had roughly $18.2 million in cap space according to Spotrac. That included Tyrod Taylor’s option being picked up along with a $15.9 million cap hit. While Buffalo only had 45 players under contract, and they could restructure contracts for Cordy Glenn and Marcell Dareus to get enough cap space to fill the roster with quality players if they wished.

Cap space: $18.2 million

March 6 releases

Buffalo’s purge on Monday, releasing five players in a mixture of performance and salary cap moves, netted them about $6 million in cap space by releasing kicker Dan Carpenter ($2.4 million), cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman ($1.65 million), long snapper Garrison Sanborn ($950,000), tight end Gerald Christian ($540,000), and safety Phillip Thomas($540,000).

Updated cap space: $24.2 million

Restricted Free Agent tenders

Buffalo felt strongly enough about running back Mike Gillislee (link) and offensive lineman Ryan Groy (link) to give them restricted free agent tenders. Both received the original round tender, which means if another team signs them away, Buffalo would receive draft pick compensation equal to the round in which the player was originally drafted and it gives the Bills the right to match the offer. Both of the tenders are worth $1.79 million. Buffalo chose not to tender defensive end IK Enemkpali and punter Colton Schmidt, their other two potential restricted free agents.

Updated cap space: $20.6 million

Tyrod Taylor restructures contract

The Bills are keeping Tyrod Taylor but instead of his $15.9 million cap hit in 2017, it dropped to roughly $9.7 million. Buffalo is kicking the Tyrod Taylor contract down the road with a big jump coming in 2018 and potentially bigger one in 2019 if he plays well. Still, they saved $6.2 million in 2017.

Updated cap space: $26.8 million

Bills release more guys

On Wednesday and Thursday, Buffalo continued to re-shape their roster by releasing WR/ST Marcus Easley and S Aaron Williams. Easley’s release saves Buffalo $1 million in cap space. Williams was designated a post-June 1 release (though there was some initial confusion on this), which means Buffalo gets no immediate cap relief until June 1. On that date, they will add $4.2 million in salary cap space. You have to feel for both, who weren’t able to contribute due to horrific injuries. On Friday, safety Corey Graham was added to the list adding an additional $4 million in cap space.

Updated cap space: $31.8 million plus $4.2 million in June

Bills add free agents

Buffalo didn’t just add cap space this week, though. They spent a lot of it. Not on guys like Robert Woods or Stephon Gilmore, who departed for rich contracts elsewhere. Here are the guys they signed and their 2017 cap hits based on what we know.

Projected free agent spending: $16.2 million
Updated projected cap space: $15.6 million plus $4.2 million in June

Looking ahead

Buffalo has plenty of cap space now and even with a big signing or two in the near future will be able to fit the rookies’ estimated $6.5 salary underneath the cap. It’s also important to note than once Buffalo surpasses 51 players under contract, only the top 51 will count in the salary cap calculation, so signings on the back end of the roster will either not count in the top 51 calculation or only increase the cap by a couple hundred thousand dollars as a really low cap number is bumped by a low cap number.

Buffalo could also easily add up to $14.7 million more in salary cap space by restructuring contracts for Marcell Dareus and/or Cordy Glenn. That would bring their total over $30 million before rookies.

The maximum realistic potential cap space Buffalo could have after possible restructures, post-June 1 cuts, and rookie salaries are applied is roughly $28 million. They probably couldn’t spend that much right now if they wanted to.

More From Buffalo Rumblin

Would have liked to have seen a solid, veteran WR brought in.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A. There's already a cap thread.

2. You just copy-pasta'd someone else's content, offering none of your own.

III. I'm sure the good folks at Buffalo Rumblings would be thrilled about that.

who cares about where the info came from. ? i found the info useful.. jesus.. and who cares about buffalo rumblings..

Edited by dwight in philly

So your not allowed to post articles on here-it has to be only opinion? good to know....and who cares about BR?And that other thread the OP was looking for answers and I posted an actual article with them even though you say we can't post article, just our own opinion.

Edited by JM2009

So according to you, the posters here can never post articles or news on anything. It has to be only the OP's opinion. Sounds pretty boring to me. In other words, don't look for any news in here, which defeats one of the purposes of a message board.

A few weeks ago, I felt like they wouldn't be able to sign anyone. They have really done a great job with this.

Probably could have kept woods, though.

Very true.

So according to you, the posters here can never post articles

Actually it's according to the Terms of Service where it's clearly laid out that "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you".

Posting the entirety of somebody else's work is not allowed here. Like anywhere else that is above board you can follow Fair Use standards in US copyright law and post a brief excerpt of somebody else's material and provide a link to that material if you wish. But you are most certainly not allowed to post the full content of somebody else's work.

Sounds pretty boring to me. In other words, don't look for any news in here, which defeats one of the purposes of a message board.

There are a wide variety of Buffalo Bills sites on the internet; you are always free to use any of the others if you do not like the rules or don't want to live up to the standards of this one. If you wish to continue here, you are able to edit your post to reflect your understanding of Fair Use law and the TBD rules before a moderator sees it and simply deletes or closes the thread.

Edited by Simon

Actually it's according to the Terms of Service where it's clearly laid out that "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you".

Posting the entirety of somebody else's work is not allowed here. Like anywhere else that is above board you can follow Fair Use standards in US copyright law and post a brief excerpt of somebody else's material and provide a link to that material if you wish. But you are most certainly not allowed to post the full content of somebody else's work.

There are a wide variety of Buffalo Bills sites on the internet; you are always free to use any of the others if you do not like the rules or don't want to live up to the standards of this one. If you wish to continue here, you are able to edit your post to reflect your understanding of Fair Use law and the rules here before a moderator sees it and simply deletes or closes the thread.

does that mean we can no longer post links ? to start a topic?

There are a wide variety of Buffalo Bills sites on the internet; you are always free to use any of the others if you do not like the rules or don't want to live up to the standards of this one. If you wish to continue here, you are able to edit your post to reflect your understanding of Fair Use law and the rules here before a moderator sees it and simply deletes or closes the thread.

Here we go again... this place was sommuch better when you were enjoying your retirement...

Thanks JM2009. I found the article to be very helpful and full of useful information. My favorite part about belonging to a single MB is the ability to get all of my Bills news in one location... one-stop-shop

I am very impressed with how Whaley mannaged to finess the cap this year so far. It wasnt a month ago that I was quite nervous that we would not be able to sign or retain any quality players.

isnt the link in the post essentially showing you exactly where the story came from? Does that not give Buffalo Rumblings credit for it?

why is this even an issue? again.. who cares.. this is not directed at you.. but it gets really tedious when threads get sidetracked over stupid stuff..

Edited by dwight in philly

So your not allowed to post articles on here-it has to be only opinion? good to know....and who cares about BR?

Copying and pasting into a message board the entirety of an article from another source instead of just a short preview and linking to the actual website is not only bad form, I'm pretty sure it's against the terms of service. I could be wrong about that, but most well-run forums don't allow wholesale copying of others' content. And it's still bad form anyway.

The guys who run BR care about BR. And you just stole their content, meaning fewer clicks for them.

And that other thread the OP was looking for answers and I posted an actual article with them even though you say we can't post article, just our own opinion.

So the other thread was looking for answers, and you started a new thread to provide the answers. That someone else wrote? Good job.

Lighten up Francis. I found the OP's post useful

You mean you found the Buffalo Rumblings article useful.

Actually it is bad. Because the team had to wait until the cap his were removed, we might have had to settle on players or watch players leave because we didnt/couldnt match offers. It feels like we are always a step behind trying to play catchup with Whaley as GM.

So your not allowed to post articles on here-it has to be only opinion? good to know....and who cares aboutAnd that other thread the OP was looking for answers and I posted an actual article with them even though you say we can't post article, just our own opinion.

the article was already posted earlier this morning in the Salary Cap status thread and the pinned FA thread. But in the future just to clarify what is considered following the TOS - post the link and then 2-3 sentences that you want to highlight from the article using quotes.

You mean you found the Buffalo Rumblings article useful.

Sure, whatever. Wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Thanks OP. So Jimmy, did somebody copy your phonics homework when you were a kid? A lot of bile for a thread on a fan site. Maybe your the type that is still pissed off that they put fluoride in tap water.