Bills lose 3rd & 4th rd. draft picks in '18 due to stupidity

Estro

If I asked you if signing guys like Vladimir Ducasse, Jordan Poyer & a Fulback was worth forgoing a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick in next years draft would any smart GM say yes?

Serious question, because that's what the Bills have done. You need to have a net loss of UFA's to lock in comp. picks the Bills have failed to do this. As of now, they have gained one more UFA than they've lost and they don't have many of their own UFA's left to be signed elsewhere. For a team that's no where near ready to compete for championships, to be blowing free draft picks to sign what amounts to depth players is asinine.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

There are many ways to work the comp. pick system, something teams ike the Ravens, Patriots and Packers seem to do every yr., yet the Bills are still totally lost. You can use trades, pickup guys that are cut, sign guys post June 1. The NFL has put in place a system that compensates and rewards teams for losing good FA's. This year that happens to be Gilmore (3rd rounder) and Wood (4th rounder), but instead of taking advantage of this system the Bills were in a big rush to sign K's, FB's and backup OL that have essentially cost them those 2 solid draft picks. Now that comp. picks can be traded, they are even more valuable, IMO, which makes this error on the Bills part even more infuriating.

Another important and often forgotten part of this is that you can fill in holes on your roster with these comp. picks for very low rookie salaries. So say you use the 3rd and 4th round comp. picks on a FB & an OL instead of Vlad Ducasse and Patrick Dimarco. So, instead of paying veteran FA's $2-$3M per year you pay guys close to the vet min. of 600-700k. That's a significant savings that can be reallocated to other areas of need on the roster. For those that want to make the argument that the rookie pleyers may suck compared to the vets that were brought in via FA......fair point: But, my counter tot hat would be to just keep guys like Felton and Corey Graham then & still pick up the free 3rd and 4th round comp. picks.

This is one small aspect to roster building and player management, but it's an important one. And it's one that many of the consistently good teams have figured out how to maneuver......and one the Bills still continually EFF UP.

Edited by Estro

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is serious but I'll bite. The comp picks aren't determined two days into FA. There are Bills UFAs who will be signing elsewhere yet didn't fit into the first wave and will factor into the formula. The comp picks aren't set for many months.

We have lost 4 and signed 3, so we should still get a 3rd rounder.

Assuming Brown and Hunter sign we should get our 4th rounder even if we sign another guy.

Saying that I think we will have a lot more signings so we probably won't get a compensatory pick.

We have lost 4 and signed 3, so we should still get a 3rd rounder.

Assuming Brown and Hunter sign we should get our 4th rounder even if we sign another guy.

Saying that I think we will have a lot more signings so we probably won't get a compensatory pick.

We gained 5. Click the link.

Not sure if this is serious but I'll bite. The comp picks aren't determined two days into FA. There are Bills UFAs who will be signing elsewhere yet didn't fit into the first wave and will factor into the formula. The comp picks aren't set for many months.

While that's true, we are still going to be signing UFAs as well.

The comp pick formula is not a simple formula - playing time, contract and honors all factor into it among other things. If you lose brady and sign a fullback, it doesn't affect your comp picks.

Also, who cares about '18 comp picks in spring '17. Not exactly a burning issue.

The comp pick formula is not a simple formula - playing time, contract and honors all factor into it among other things. If you lose brady and sign a fullback, it doesn't affect your comp picks.

Not true. You have to have a net loss of UFA's for it to come into play. Losing Brady and signing an FB would net you max a 7th.

Edited by FireChan

If I asked you if signing guys like Vladimir Ducasse, Jordan Poyer & a Fulback was worth forgoing a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick in next years draft would any smart GM say yes?

Serious question, because that's what the Bills have done. You need to have a net loss of UFA's to lock in comp. picks the Bills have failed to do this. As of now, they have gained one more UFA than they've lost and they don't have many of their own UFA's left to be signed elsewhere. For a team that's no where near ready to compete for championships, to be blowing free draft picks to sign what amounts to depth players is asinine.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

There are many ways to work the comp. pick system, something teams ike the Ravens, Patriots and Packers seem to do every yr., yet the Bills are still totally lost. You can use trades, pickup guys that are cut, sign guys post June 1. The NFL has put in place a system that compensates and rewards teams for losing good FA's. This year that happens to be Gilmore (3rd rounder) and Wood (4th rounder), but instead of taking advantage of this system the Bills were in a big rush to sign K's, FB's and backup OL that have essentially cost them those 2 solid draft picks. Now that comp. picks can be traded, they are even more valuable, IMO, which makes this error on the Bills part even more infuriating.

Another important and often forgotten part of this is that you can fill in holes on your roster with these comp. picks for very low rookie salaries. So say you use the 3rd and 4th round comp. picks on a FB & an OL instead of Vlad Ducasse and Patrick Dimarco. So, instead of paying veteran FA's $2-$3M per year you pay guys close to the vet min. of 600-700k. That's a significant savings that can be reallocated to other areas of need on the roster. For those that want to make the argument that the rookie pleyers may suck compared to the vets that were brought in via FA......fair point: But, my counter tot hat would be to just keep guys like Felton and Corey Graham then & still pick up the free 3rd and 4th round comp. picks.

This is one small aspect to roster building and player management, but it's an important one. And it's one that many of the consistently good teams have figured out how to maneuver......and one the Bills still continually EFF UP.

So you wanted them to tank?

But screaming into the ether after 47 hours seems entirely more Billsy as an approach.

Did you have a plan ready to go, in the event that Gilmore walked? If so, did you present this plan to the Pegulas?

yes. They said they liked it in fact and even paid me a consultant fee. It was a out $3.50. I graciously accepted and stood up to shake their hand but the I realized he was a giant lochness monster.