Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

John, it has been widely reported that the Bills could have gotten out of the "atrocious contract" simply by declining Tyrod's option, so that alone did not make it a "win". The fact that they get to keep the player without the atrocious contract is what constitutes a win.

and replace him with what?

He already told you.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a couple million more in guarantees in the Glennon deal but they are more frontloaded. It is actually cheaper for the Bears to get out of the Glennon deal after 1 year than it is for the Bills to get put of the Tyrod deal.

Those deals are both right at market value for bridge Quarterbacks. It is absolutely obvious to me when interpreting the numbers that the league value on Tyrod is exactly that. Bridge quarterback. Once he realised that it was better to be the bridge here than in Chicago or Cleveland or anywhere else.

We are not getting him cheap. We are getting him bang smack at market value.

No, unless you're definition of market value is different than what it actually is, we're getting him cheap.

I don't know, but the Colts have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years that Luck has been healthy and gone as far as the championship game. Typically it takes a team like NE to beat them in the playoffs- so I would say they have been fairly successful. I would take that in a heart beat and if you eliminate Brady - they probably have at least 1 SB trip. Of course if you eliminated Brady - the Bills probably make the playoffs at least once in the last 17 years.

They also fell into the situation and did not try to suck for Luck, but an injury to Manning made it possible.

I am not a fan of tanking, but I also think that if you are not going to be good enough to win - a la the NYJs this year - you are better off looking at ways to eliminate your bad contracts and get your team situated for the future rather than just doing the same thing over and over.

You point to the Colts, but they're an incredibly unique example.

They could sell tanking easily to their fan base because they were in a win win scenario with a one year window of your amazing HOF QB being sidelined for a year and the "best NFL prospect since Elway" set up to come out in the draft.

The fan base wouldn't have lost any way you looked at it.

People who point to the Colts as an argument for tanking ignore the unique reality of that situation.

People who point to the Colts as an argument for tanking ignore the unique reality of that situation.

And the fact that they have been playing in the worst division in NFL history since Luck came into the league. And the fact that Luck was out of college eligibility that year, unlike Darnold, and had no choice but to go there. Edited by mannc

And the fact that they have been playing in the worst division in NFL history since Luck came into the league. And the fact that Luck was out of college eligibility that year, unlike Darnold, and had no choice but to go there.

Exactly.

The Colts had the Perfect Storm.

I can't believe people point to that situation like it was really even a decision the Colts really had to mull over. Or as though it's a situation that is often available.

You point to the Colts, but they're an incredibly unique example.

They could sell tanking easily to their fan base because they were in a win win scenario with a one year window of your amazing HOF QB being sidelined for a year and the "best NFL prospect since Elway" set up to come out in the draft.

The fan base wouldn't have lost any way you looked at it.

Go back and read the quote that I was responding to.

The guy asked how the tank was working for the Colts and I responded.

I think it was a terrible example, but it was what the poster quoted.

It was a good try on your part though.

No, unless you're definition of market value is different than what it actually is, we're getting him cheap.

Go and check the bridge Quarterback market. I did a pretty thorough evaluation of the figures before the renegotiation. This is not cheap.

It is ONLY cheap if you see Tyrod as someone who still has a chance to be some team's long term answer at Quarterback. I don't and the Bills clearly don't hence they renegotiated and if Tyrod genuinely felt there was consensus in the league that disagreed he would have tested that market and said to the Bills "it is the option or nothing."

I am not being negative here or knocking the Bills. I think on the new contract having him here is a no brainer. But it is this contract that is value... not the old one.

Edited by GunnerBill

Go and check the bridge Quarterback market. I did a pretty thorough evaluation of the figures before the renegotiation. This is not cheap.

It is ONLY cheap if you see Tyrod as someone who still has a chance to be some team's long term answer at Quarterback. I don't and the Bills clearly don't hence they renegotiated and if Tyrod genuinely felt there was consensus in the league that disagreed he would have tested that market and said to the Bills "it is the option or nothing."

I am not being negative here or knocking the Bills. I think on the new contract having him here is a no brainer. But it is this contract that is value... not the old one.

I'm sorry but could you direct me to your breakdown?

Finding these things on an iPhone is a pain.

I'll be really curious to see the various QBs and contracts you qualify as "Bridge QB/Contract."

I'm sorry but could you direct me to your breakdown?

Finding these things on an iPhone is a pain.

I'll be really curious to see the various QBs and contracts you qualify as "Bridge QB/Contract."

It was everyone who started for a team last year who was signed as a short term solution not a long term one.

They are almost all less than Tyrod's deal and most of the Quarterbacks are less good. The deal you need to look at is the one the Eagles gave to Sam Bradford as a bridge while they planned to sit Wentz (before Bridgewater went down and they saw a chance to get their 1st back).

Bradford was 2 years $35m, $22m guaranteed.

Tyrod is 2 years $30.5m, $15.5m guaranteed.

Glennon is 3 years $35m, $18.5m guaranteed.

Those are all bridge Quarterback contracts.

Tyrod's previous deal was essentially 2 years $40.5m, $27.5m guaranteed (because I don't believe there is any better than a 10% chance he is on the Bills in 2019 with either old contract or new). Now that is I am sure you would agree significantly out of kilter with the Bradford and Glennon deals.

Could Tyrod have got an extra couple of million $$s by not renegotiating and forcing the Bills to put him on the open market by cutting him? Sure. And at that stage all the things you have mentioned about familiarity etc come into play. The point is if he thought the $40m and $27.5m guaranteed was on the table from some other team if he hit the market then he would not have taken the renegotiation.

The point is if he thought the $40m and $27.5m guaranteed was on the table from some other team if he hit the market then he would not have taken the renegotiation.

Yup, totally refutes all the talk that he was going to break the bank elsewhere. Other than the maybe the Browns or Jets, nobody else, especially good teams, wanted him, and the Browns or Jets weren't paying him what the Bills were paying. So, yay, were stuck with him! :sick:

Not sure if the full deal has already been posted in this thread. Im not going to read 16 pages right now to find out. If it has been posted then just ignore this post. Anyhow I just seen his contract breakdown and its as follows...

Signing bonus: $7 million

Total money: $30.5 million

Total guaranteed money: $15.5 million

Salary: $7.5 million

Cap hit: ~$9.71 million

Salary: $16 million

Cap hit:$18.08 million

2019 (free agent)

Salary: voided

Cap hit: $5.56 million (pro-rated signing bonus)

This was La Canfora's breakdown

@mikerodak

Bills can escape Taylor deal after '17. Only $1M of $10M base salary in '18 is GTD, and SB dead money is $5.6M (pre-6/1) or $1.4M (post-6/1)

@profootballtalk

Win-win for the Bills and Tyrod Taylor, with Taylor taking a pay cut but getting to market in 2019

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/two-years-30-5-million-for-tyrod-taylor/

@spotrac

Tyrod Taylors $9.7M cap hit in 2017 ranks 22nd among QBs & joins Brian Hoyer ($5.275M) as the only projected veteran starters under $10M.

@mikerodak

Bills can escape Taylor deal after '17. Only $1M of $10M base salary in '18 is GTD, and SB dead money is $5.6M (pre-6/1) or $1.4M (post-6/1)

@profootballtalk

Win-win for the Bills and Tyrod Taylor, with Taylor taking a pay cut but getting to market in 2019

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/two-years-30-5-million-for-tyrod-taylor/

@spotrac

Tyrod Taylors $9.7M cap hit in 2017 ranks 22nd among QBs & joins Brian Hoyer ($5.275M) as the only projected veteran starters under $10M.

22nd cap hit for the 22nd best QB. Not bad, actually.

well, I have some issues with Whaley. I don't really get into it much here. But I think we should mention positives when warranted. He has *really* taken a beating.

Overdorf too. Nice work.

This is a good deal for everyone. TT checked the market and saw what the offers were. He is a bridge qb for us and a bridge qb for any team that was interested in him. So he stayed with the team he was acquainted with and a team where at least in the first year he is almost guaranteed of starting.

Many people wrongly made the argument that TT had leverage over the organization from a contract and playing standpoint. Because the market wasn't as receptive to him as many made it out to be he wisely decided to stay where the football situation was the best for him.

Whaley and the organization played this negotiation right and so did TT.

Pro Bowls mean nothing!

We know, when will you stop talking about them?

I wonder how long the excuses for Taylor will last. If everything is not perfect for Taylor, it's not his fault.

Week 7 the excuses will die down

The posters here have more freedom and will not tolerate your nonsense. Thus, the phony "nice" you claim to have.

Call your psychologist dude, Crusher has you melting down.

The new O was Taylor made for Tyrod IMO...

Remember when Lynn saved Taylor from Roman. Those were good times. It's too cold for kool-aid

Yup, totally refutes all the talk that he was going to break the bank elsewhere. Other than the maybe the Browns or Jets, nobody else, especially good teams, wanted him, and the Browns or Jets weren't paying him what the Bills were paying. So, yay, were stuck with him! :sick:

I believe PTR said he would double his salary elsewhere. Lulzzzzz.

Now that the full details have come out how can you be pissed about this deal? Whaley did a fantastic job with this restructure. We can get off of the hook with only a 1 million $ cap hit next season. Kudos to Doug. :thumbsup:

Finally seeing Tyrod Taylor's redone #Bills deal: $14.5M fully gtd in 2017, $6M roster bonus + $10M base ($1M gtd) in 2018 ... then it voids

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/841633216922566656