Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

That's just this year, yes? I believe he went from 2yr/40 to 2yr/30.

Also doesn't the new deal only have 15M in guarantees? Could've sworn I read that.

Guaranteed money went down, the amount of money he expects to actually see from the Bills went up. It'd be easier to show if NFL contracts weren't so finicky :lol: NFLPA needs to step up like the NBA!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see, got you. Thanks for keeping me honest on the quotes Hoke, I mean that.

:thumbsup:

For what it's worth he really likes Buffalo and the atmosphere at games. Here's hoping he takes the next step and it's as easy to like him, the QB, and it is to like him, the person.

No it didn't. Had he been on the team 2 years before he'd have seen $40.5m.

Now he will see $30.5m.

Team was looking for outs before the 2 years. 2nd year money wasn't going to come.

:thumbsup:

For what it's worth he really likes Buffalo and the atmosphere at games. Here's hoping he takes the next step and it's as easy to like him, the QB, and it is to like him, the person.

I do appreciate that he likes Buffalo and the atmosphere on gamedays, and damn he dresses well! He seems like a fine human being but I'm not convinced about his leadership. I've seen WRs disrespect him on the field and I've seen him zone out on the sideline in close games. It doesn't seem like the other guys really look up to him as much as they do Shady or Sammy, despite what is said publically. But if he plays better in the new scheme maybe that changes.

Look - you Crusher and JM can all go round and round - it certainly happened enough everywhere else.

You both have thoughts that are partially proven, but TT did say specifically when one of the reporters asked and TT had him repeat the question - he started to talk about "informal" discussions and then dropped that line and said I know what you are doing. To me that implied exactly what Crusher said about his agent had some discussions with other teams - be it tampering or not - he got a feeling for his market value.

Point two in that was he specifically stated his decision to restructure was made 2 days ago - so although he had been meeting and talking with the coaching staff - something clicked 2 days ago that made him realize a restructure here was better than the open market. I think that had to do with two thing: money and team.

I think he realized from his "informal" discussions that his value was less than he thought and he realized his best fit and chance to start was in Buffalo - so they blinked and he restructured to a significant pay decrease that pays him comparable to his passing position in the league.

I think this is largely accurate. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Tyrod realized his only chance to make more money was to go to Cleveland and that would basically end his career. I originally thought he had a good shot with the Bears, but I forgot their management is clueless and wants to make Glennon the next Osweiler-sized mistake, so good luck to them. So when weighing all the options, coming back to Buffalo where he is familiar with the players made the most sense.

I believe the downside for the Bills is that if Tyrod ends up performing well, we will no longer have him on the cheap in a couple years. So Tyrod is betting on himself again IMO. There is truth to both narratives.

Team was looking for outs before the 2 years. 2nd year money wasn't going to come.

But the old deal was $27.5m for 1 year. The new deal is just $15m for one year. You are comparing 1 year of the old deal to 2 years of this deal and that is apples to oranges.

I think the old contract made it more likely not less likely he saw year 2 because the dead cap associated with escaping was so high.

I think this is largely accurate. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Tyrod realized his only chance to make more money was to go to Cleveland and that would basically end his career. I originally thought he had a good shot with the Bears, but I forgot their management is clueless and wants to make Glennon the next Osweiler-sized mistake, so good luck to them. So when weighing all the options, coming back to Buffalo where he is familiar with the players made the most sense.

I believe the downside for the Bills is that if Tyrod ends up performing well, we will no longer have him on the cheap in a couple years. So Tyrod is betting on himself again IMO. There is truth to both narratives.

Lot of truth to this

He did not have to....but TT did what he has been doing his whole career......betting on himself and willing to prove his doubter's wrong.

In a time when "good qbs" get paid like "great qbs" he helped the team out and let go of what.....10 million dollars of guaranteed money? I mean he isnt gonna have a hard time putting food on the table but still

Lot of truth to this

He did not have to....but TT did what he has been doing his whole career......betting on himself and willing to prove his doubter's wrong.

In a time when "good qbs" get paid like "great qbs" he helped the team out and let go of what.....10 million dollars of guaranteed money? I mean he isnt gonna have a hard time putting food on the table but still

Always putting the team 1st, even at personal sacrifice monetarily.

Team Taylor...

Look - you Crusher and JM can all go round and round - it certainly happened enough everywhere else.

You both have thoughts that are partially proven, but TT did say specifically when one of the reporters asked and TT had him repeat the question - he started to talk about "informal" discussions and then dropped that line and said I know what you are doing. To me that implied exactly what Crusher said about his agent had some discussions with other teams - be it tampering or not - he got a feeling for his market value.

Point two in that was he specifically stated his decision to restructure was made 2 days ago - so although he had been meeting and talking with the coaching staff - something clicked 2 days ago that made him realize a restructure here was better than the open market. I think that had to do with two thing: money and team.

I think he realized from his "informal" discussions that his value was less than he thought and he realized his best fit and chance to start was in Buffalo - so they blinked and he restructured to a significant pay decrease that pays him comparable to his passing position in the league.

I think TT has a chance in this offense to put up some better numbers than in the previous offense, but I still think he is very limited in what he can do. This played out about as perfectly as it could for the Bills - they eliminated the signing bonus money that was causing the dead cap space - which was what many people disliked about the old contract and have created a year to year deal allowing his play to determine his length of time as the Bills starting QB rather than the money.

All of this is reasonable.

But again, my issue wasn't with Crusher's interpretation, it's that he believed what he had was a fact, not an interpretation. Just like what you have here, which is an interpretation, not fact. Just like what I have, which is an interpretation. I feel strongly about mine because of what he actually said, which makes no direct reference whatsoever to finding out his market value was less, and the reference you guys believe he makes to that could very well not be a money issue and could simply be a team issue.

Maybe he found out he'd get a great deal of money on the open market (and the only concrete evidence I have for this is the fact that Mike Glennon is getting more guaranteed money than Taylor, which I think most reasonable people would find ridiculous), but only if he went to the Browns, Jets, or Bears, but he looked at those teams and didn't want to play for any of them, for whatever reason. And upon thinking of those potential changes, he realized what most people naturally realize: change sucks.

That's just my interpretation. It's not fact.

But I'm fine with your interpretation, even if I disagree, just like I'm fine with Crusher's.

Just don't pretend like something you can't even possibly know is fact.

This is an argument grounded in a pretty ridiculous notion, though.

It just really doesn't matter. Because the big question heading into the offseason was whether a new HC would want to have "his guy" at QB, and so many thought it was inevitable that Taylor was gone because of that and because of the fact that upon going through the evaluation process, McDermott would inevitably realize that "he just isn't good enough."

That's about as close to factually incorrect as we can get without actually calling it a fact.

Who cares about the reason we got him "on the cheap?" I'm loving that we did.

There's a reason why he said "I'm not taking less guaranteed money" and then took a lot less guaranteed money. ;)

Did he say that?

Exactly... maybe the dumpster fires that are the Browns and Jets were the only teams that were going to give him significant money.

Some people are talking as though pro sports players will just automatically go where the most money is. I think that's an incredibly cynical (and incorrect) point of view.

There is a couple million more in guarantees in the Glennon deal but they are more frontloaded. It is actually cheaper for the Bears to get out of the Glennon deal after 1 year than it is for the Bills to get put of the Tyrod deal.

Those deals are both right at market value for bridge Quarterbacks. It is absolutely obvious to me when interpreting the numbers that the league value on Tyrod is exactly that. Bridge quarterback. Once he realised that it was better to be the bridge here than in Chicago or Cleveland or anywhere else.

We are not getting him cheap. We are getting him bang smack at market value.

I like TT for the price. He's not a top QB but he's way better than any free agent out there. QB was not the problem in 2016. Defense was.

Welcome back TT.

He was the best option once he decided to restructure, no question in my mind about that.

While he wasn't the problem in 2016, he was a problem. His unbelievable athleticism doesn't make him an unbelievable QB. He'll need a creative game plan and a few receiving options to have a chance at team success.

Of course what people here don't know is some of your other predictions. Like the one that EJ was going to win the starter battle... or that the offense would look better with EJ in 2015... or that the offense wouldnt lose a step against the Jets with EJ starting... or that Tyrod and the Bills would end up in court over the injury guarantee.

But good job Crusher, pat yourself on the back for this one.

Crusher is Gugny?

He was the best option once he decided to restructure, no question in my mind about that.

While he wasn't the problem in 2016, he was a problem. His unbelievable athleticism doesn't make him an unbelievable QB. He'll need a creative game plan and a few receiving options to have a chance at team success.

Exactly my view

There is a couple million more in guarantees in the Glennon deal but they are more frontloaded. It is actually cheaper for the Bears to get out of the Glennon deal after 1 year than it is for the Bills to get put of the Tyrod deal.

Those deals are both right at market value for bridge Quarterbacks. It is absolutely obvious to me when interpreting the numbers that the league value on Tyrod is exactly that. Bridge quarterback. Once he realised that it was better to be the bridge here than in Chicago or Cleveland or anywhere else.

True....but they did get out of the atrocious contract which is a win

True....but they did get out of the atrocious contract which is a win

John, it has been widely reported that the Bills could have gotten out of the "atrocious contract" simply by declining Tyrod's option, so that alone did not make it a "win". The fact that they get to keep the player without the atrocious contract is what constitutes a win.

John, it has been widely reported that the Bills could have gotten out of the "atrocious contract" simply by declining Tyrod's option, so that alone did not make it a "win". The fact that they get to keep the player without the atrocious contract is what constitutes a win.

and replace him with what?

"good qbs are great qbs in this free agent period"

Exactly. In retrospect, it's clear that a lot of people on this board overvalued Tyrod, saying that his existing contract was a bargain. It wasn't. That's why the Bills never were going to bring him back on that existing contract. This is a fair deal, and probably the best the Bills could do at QB for the next year or two. But let's not kid ourselves -- it is a "bridge QB" deal, and the bridge is to a full rebuild starting as soon as 2018, depending largely on how this season plays out.

Exactly. In retrospect, it's clear that a lot of people on this board overvalued Tyrod, saying that his existing contract was a bargain. It wasn't. That's why the Bills never were going to bring him back on that existing contract. This is a fair deal, and probably the best the Bills could do at QB for the next year or two. But let's not kid ourselves -- it is a "bridge QB" deal, and the bridge is to a full rebuild starting as soon as 2018, depending largely on how this season plays out.

It is definately a contract that opens the door for a high pick on a qb imo

The fact is, until Wednesday, no one on this board really knew if TT's contract was a bargain or not. Apparently, the market for his services was not as hot as some suspected. It happens. I would not call his new contract a bridge though; I think it's another "prove it" deal for a guy who has started less than 30 NFL games and has shown tantalizing promise, but also real weaknesses. Bridge contracts are for known mediocrities like Brian Hoyer. Edited by mannc